Leica Panasonic Sigma alliance limited to FF only?

Einst_Stein

I can’t see the point of building L4/3 lenses or cameras. Bringing back “full” 4/3 doesn’t make any sense at all because it would require new camera bodies, new sensors, and new lenses to see any size or weight advantage.

M43 is already established with many cameras and lenses so I also do not see the point in building L mount micro 4/3 cameras or lenses.

For Panasonic, build L4/3 is almost piece of cake. Only to modify the mount of the existing M4/3 stuffs. The business value will be tremendous if it is aligned with its L mount FF and L mount HF.

M4/3 was introduced with the promiss of smaller size and mirrorless features, but it has been exceeded by the Mirrorless HF and FF. It is facing the up hill battle to compete with Fujifilm and Sony, and soon after the Canon and Nikon mirrorless. Turning to the integrated L family can foundemantally changing its strategic position.

I don't think this is the case. The 16MP M43 sensor was already very good, the (about two-year old) 20 MP one is close to APS-C in quality.  This is a mature system.

Panasonic-Olympus have clearly invested in M43, not in 4/3 technology. To pick that closed chapter up again would be a considerable and useless investment. There is no market share in-between M43 and APS-C.

What I would pay for, if it would work to cover the image circle, is some of the Panasonic m4/3 glass mount swapped to L mount, for the CL. There's a bunch of those lenses I'd like to use on my CL. 9-18, 12-60, 55-200, 100-400, 200 etc.

All conveniently badged Leica already. Most with IS.... Hmmmmmmm.

Gordon

• Like 3

I am curious if the alliance also include the HF and 4/3.

If it does, I imaging Panasonic to release a new L4/3 line.

Quite simple - no, the Alliance doesn't include APS-C or M4/3. However, as Leica themselves have made the CL/TL line compatible to the SL, it is included nonetheless.