Live view -- Not changing back from EVF to screen

GMB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have set the live view to auto, i.e., to automatically switch from the screen to the EVF (when you put the camera to your face to look through the EVF) and back from the EVF to the screen (when you take the camera away from the face).  Initially, I had the issue that the camera did not detect when I looked through the EVF.  I thought it could be a bad contact between the EVF and the camera because it worked when I wiped the contacts of the camera and the EVF.

But since yesterday I have the opposite.  If I switch on live view, it shows on the screen.  When I look through the EVF, it switches to the EVF. So far so good. But when I no longer look through the EVF, the live view image stays in the EVF and does not appear on the screen,  Sometimes, after 10-15 seconds, live view switches back to the screen.

Problem persisted after battery change, camera reset, and indeed firmware update.

BTW, it did the same with automatic review and playing images, which was really annoying.  After I took a shot with the EVF, the photo showed in the EVF for review; same when I then pushed play.  I  "solved" that by setting review and play to screen and not to automatic.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I experienced this since new. Tested in the store and EVF was replaced but problem persists. I just withdraw the EVF slightly from the mount and push it back and that seems to sort it. It’s a very flakey system but when the EVF works, it’s useful. I know that’s not an ideal situation but there’s no option.

Edited by lucerne

Georg,

All I can say "you are not alone to have trouble with Visoflex 020", count me also :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/288018-visoflex-works-intermittently/

A Leica Store may answer what goes wrong, M 10 or/ 020 ... or cleaning better contacts + the eye detector lens of 020

Edited by a.noctilux

FWIW, I find that the eye sensor is not very reliable in bright sunlight.

Sometimes I found cupping a hand over the viewfinder would allow it to switch automatically as expected, but it was just easier to give up on the auto setting.

Thanks! Why am I not surprised :).

I really like that camera.  I also find the EVF very useful with fast lenses (my hit rate improved dramatically using the focus peaking) and wide lenses.  And yes, it is a minor issue where there are ways around.  But I still wonder why the heck can they not get this right in a $6000 + camera when others get this right in cameras that cost less than a third.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It might help if you listed all of your current EVF/Display Control settings.

Ive never had an issue with mine...are you sure you have it set up to do what you expect. I have mine set as follows:

Play Target: Display

LV Screen Target: Auto

Auto Review Screen Target: Auto

With these settings the LCD is always set to playback. LV is automatically switched from EVF to LCD as I shoot and auto review follows. 99.5% of the time this works perfectly. .5% of the time the sensor is fooled by my hand or something else. Chances are you either had it set differently or you are blocking the sensor.

The eye sensor is not literally an "eye" sensor. Its just a simple sensor that switches displays.  When your forehead trips the sensor as you raise the camera to your eye, it switches to the EVF...but ONLY if you set it to do this.

Any other object or body part will have the same effect on the sensor...so if you put your hand in front of the EVF it will switch...if you are wearing a hat it will make the switch. If you hold the camera incorrectly it will switch.

Adjust your settings and use your hand to make the sensor switch back and forth. It either works or it doesnt. If its not working, then you need to get it replaced. If its working correctly, then chances are you either had the wrong settings or you were doing something to trip the sensor prematurly.

One more note- If the EVF is not fully seated it will power on but the eye sensor does not work. Make sure the EVF is fully pushed in to the hot shoe. You can replicate this but installing the EVF and just slightly pulling it back. This may be your issue since its now resolved.

• Like 1

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had issues with the EVF.  Mine has a mind of its own. 

Also have never had the GPS work as well. Been through all the proper settings but not once worked.

I view all these as annoying but not fundamentally why I pruchased the EVF - to ensure focusing hit rate is higher in certain circumstances or using wide angle lens.

Same problem for me when I was using these; my M10 and 020 are now sold (not for this reason though). The combo had a mind of its own, and more often than not the EVF simply refused to wake up, and yes, everything was set correctly. So unpredictable as to be practically useless.

Really frustrating, never experienced this with any 240-series plus EVF.

Leica can surely do better?