Aerial Photography

stray cat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is an excellent game thread called "The Earth from Above" but no thread, as far as I can tell, in which to simply post landscapes that have been made from the air. So please feel free to post your best air to ground photographs here.

I'll kick off with a couple from a few years ago taken from a Tiger Moth:

p1482033766-5.jpg

p1482033852-5.jpg

From an airplane over the sea 2013

M6TTL; 28mm Elmarit (top), 90mm Summicron (bottom); Kodak E100VS

• Like 11

In 2010, my then 13 yr old grandson was flying every conceivable aircraft on his computer. He boasted that he could fly any of the aircraft that I had flown (including a glider), easily.

Time, I thought, for a real lesson. I said, "until you feel the wind under your wings and the vibes in your seat, you have not flown!" So I booked him a flight in a Tiger Moth (a real plane, open cockpit). I ws sooo excited for him. "Oh yeah, OK was his reaction."I realized I was excited, but he was going to have the fun, so I booked two Tigers, one for him and one for me, at Point Cook, the original RAAF Air Base in Australia.. Fortune was was with us. Harry's (my grandson) pilot has a a day job as a Qantas Jumbo pilot, my pilot has a day job as a fighter pilot with the RAAF. This qualified them to fly formation, including take-off. What a bonus!

The first pic is young Hazza (Harry's nickname) peeking over the rim of the cockpit at his wheels as they leave the ground for his first time! The following shots show the Melbourne Exhibition Building, another shows the arts Centre and another over Albert Park Lake. The level flying shot from my aircraft shows the Red Tiger against a beautifully muted background, because is was raining lightly, which fuzzed the background and highlighted the plane. The slipstream kept me and the camera dry. I used my M9 + 35mm Cron. I shot just on 300 images, which sort of precluded me using film. I got a great many wonderful (IMO) images.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Another pic, showing Melb Exhib Building.

• Like 11

This one shows the Arts Centre Spire.

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Red Tiger flying over Melbourne in misting rain.

• Like 9

Harry beside his 'kite'.

• Like 10

At the end of the day upon returning home, his grandmother asked him how was it?

His reply, "terrifyingly exciting!"

Not long after that, he joined the RAAF Air Cadets and was soon flying himself. I will post a pic of him kitted to fly a Tiger later today. (gotta find it first)

• Like 5

John - what a wonderful story with a happy continuation. You must feel incredibly proud to have accompanied him up that day as his exclusive photographer! I guess some people are just meant to be fliers - which reminds me of the line from Never Tear Us Apart by INXS:

"I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why".

Brilliant pictures, too  - especially the one showing the Yarra River and Arts Centre spire. These will no doubt always be treasured by Harry.

Let's see more aerial pictures!

• Like 3

Hi all,

I would like to show you few pics of Northern Germany from above:

Rural road crossing

• Like 9

Schloss Ahlden - Ahlen Castle near Hannover in autumn colors

• Like 12

Blooming "Lüneburger Heide", a centuries-old man-made countryside between Hannover in the south and Hamburg in the north

Edited by wpo
  • Like 4

Farmland ...

• Like 15

the historic core of Bremen ...

• Like 10

Time, I thought, for a real lesson. I said, "until you feel the wind under your wings and the vibes in your seat, you have not flown!" So I booked him a flight in a Tiger Moth ...

Hi Erl,

your little story about the first flight of your grandson touches me, let me tell why.

In 2003 my 12 year old son got his first experience in aerobatic flight with a Yakovlev Yak-11, a 700hp soviet-russian pursuit training aircraft from 1947 with radial engine and wonderful sound. He was absolutely fascinated when he first time saw this powerful aircraft flying its display at a little airshow near our home town one year before. From that moment he dreamed to fly himselve. This aircraft is a double seater and he went to the pilot and owner to ask for a flight. The pilot was really astonished because of the little man, friendly showed him the aircraft in his hangar, invited him to seat in and told him about the high cost, beeing sure that this would be the end of the story. But one year later our son has strictly collected every cent and Euro he could get. Birthday present from Grandparents, no ice in the summer, no toys, no cinema with friends etc. until the money was completely saved. 

Sadly I do not have any still pictures to show from that great day because at this time super8 film was my preferred Hobby, but the result of 25 minutes of flight including aerobatics was ... flight sickness. He did not throw up, he brave waved out of the aircraft cockpit after landing but he was completely worn out, groggy and I thought that this was the finish of the dream .... but the only question my son - with pale face and weak legs - asked his pilot and his parents:"what can I do to prevent sickness during aerobatics?!"

He startet learning with a glider a few months later, than TMG, Cessna 140, Boing Stearman etc. and today, 13 years after that first aerobatic flight and more than 800hs in his flight book, he just gets aerobatic training exactly on that powerful Yak-11 he made his first aerobatic flight with. 25O kts nosedive over the north sea ... his eyes were burning with joy when he came back.

It is really one of the most wunderful experiences parents or even grandparents can get, live to see such a young boy/girl growing up finding his/her way after their first look out of a cockpit and through the struts of a biplane, feeling the vibrations in their backside. 

In this spirit, all the best for your grandson. 

Wolfgang

p.s.: please excuse the mistakes of my sometimes bad english

Edited by wpo
  • Like 11

waiting in the morning mist for "all-clear"

• Like 9

700 horses running ...

• Like 8