Nikon Z6, Z7 and Leica SL ..... (merged)

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My service experience from other 'major' manufacturers has not been good at times so its probably down to individual cases rather than across the board. My experience with Leica has been second to none though.

It is fair to say that anything said on the Web is relative, those with complaints rant and those without keep quiet. Marketing would like us believe that their product is best thing since sliced bread, we users may know it differently.  So it helps to have honest, no rose tinted glasses, discussion about these issues.

My experience in terms of Leica product quality is excellent as one would expect, when it comes to service it is mixed bag, some excellent and some not so - definitely not top marks overall considering price tag & reputation.

• Like 1

Calling for a pro service, yet wishing for an egalitarian one? I can see a contradiction there. At least Leica will try their utmost to help pros and amateurs equally in need.

In my case, when my M240 sensor died a week before an extended trip into Africa, I was extremely happy that Leica pulled a new M240 off the assembly line and shipped it overnight as a loaner. 

Jaap, that is good to hear about your M240 experience, however that is not so across the board.  I would be more concerned about M240s going bad to start with, and M240 apart form failing strap lugs was more dependable than M9.  My M240 had a long vacation to Solms with dead column needing sensor re-mapping; five minute job took best part of month and UK was still in EU than.  

Calling for a pro service, yet wishing for an egalitarian one? I can see a contradiction there. At least Leica will try their utmost to help pros and amateurs equally in need.

In my case, when my M240 sensor died a week before an extended trip into Africa, I was extremely happy that Leica pulled a new M240 off the assembly line and shipped it overnight as a loaner. 

+1

When my silver chrome Monochrom was canceled, Leica gave me a loaner while it was sorted out.  I really can't complain about Leica Customer Service -they've looked after me well.  Perhaps my expectations were lower ...

Your case is not what everybody receives. With my multiple dealings with Leica service it has always been slow and tedious with little or no change of a loaner. Some things have been away for up to a year (135APO) or had multiple trips to Germany (M9's, 90 Summarit). Leica knows I'm a working photographer and has NEVER offered me a replacement unit or expedited service. Even my S lenses took 9 weeks to repair.

The problem isn't that they don't offer some excellent service. It's that it's not consistent and we can't count on it.

Gordon

• Like 4

There have been multiple reports on this forum of similar cases. It is not a matter of waiting until offered, or demanding, it is a matter of explaining your predicament. Leica may know you are a working pro, but did you ever register officially as such?

I have not experienced any issues with my Leica gear.

That said, it is clearly not a great customer experience to have to guess as to the support offered. The experience is being described as great for some and poor for others, in other words it is inconsistent.

A simple and clearly spelled out program on their website would be sufficient to eliminate this concern.

If this exists somewhere I have not found it. There are links to the LPP for S users and a number of contacts for general support and service but I’ve not seen or found any professional support program on Leica USA’s site.

Contrast with Nikon’s (the brand I’ve most previous experience with) US site where the very first option under “Support” is the link to NPS.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

for example:

Benefits of the FUJIFILM North America Corporation ("Fujifilm") U.S. GFX FPS Program:

• Welcome Kit and Fujifilm Swag Bag
  • Personalized FPS Card confirming access to dedicated hotline technician telephone and email support.
  • Four (4) Check & Clean Program Service Vouchers, each of which is valid for redemption for 1 complimentary Check & Clean Program Service on 1 Covered GFX system Body & 1 Covered GF system Lens. Voucher limitations and terms and conditions apply.
  • 50% Discount on Additional Check & Clean Program Services on Covered GFX System Products.
  • Two (2) Business Day Turnaround for Check & Clean Services, and Complimentary 2-Day Express Return shipping for all Check & Clean Service.
  • Thirty percent (30%) discount on non-warranty repairs for Covered GFX System products
  • Expedited two (2) Business Day Turnaround Time for Repairs, with free 2-Day Express Shipping to and from the Fujifilm repair facility.
  • GFX System Product Loaners for Covered Equipment in for repair may be available upon request if repair is expected to exceed two (2) business days, based on availability.

and in Japan it covers GFX and X cameras and is under $50

Fujifilm launched a professional service in Japan, but it’s much better than the US-FPS.

Here is what you get:

• Annual cost $45
  • several locations spread over the country where you can bring your gear for inspection
  • in depth inspections of your camera (AE exposure accuracy, level (horizontal) inspection, optical performance inspection ( In the case of lens) &. More
  • 1 day service
  • covers GFX and X series
  • 50% discounts on repairs
  • free loaners
  • & more

There have been multiple reports on this forum of similar cases. It is not a matter of waiting until offered, or demanding, it is a matter of explaining your predicament. Leica may know you are a working pro, but did you ever register officially as such?

So if you are an amateur and just paid $10K for a camera and lens you should expect lousy service?

• Like 2

Yes, I have explained my predicament. I've even sent multiple emails or tried to find the already hard to find contact info of the relevant departments. You know what I got? An 18 month turnaround on a WATE repair, and a very bad job at that. 

Not an insulated incident either. Lenses are routinely out at least half a year. An M240 was out for so long that I ended up buying a used body and reselling it. A loaner? No luck. Not even a reply to my emails. It's infuriatingly bad, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. 

A simple and clearly spelled out program on their website would be sufficient to eliminate this concern.

If this exists somewhere I have not found it. There are links to the LPP for S users and a number of contacts for general support and service but I’ve not seen or found any professional support program on Leica USA’s site.

I've asked several times about service to professionals, the response was either puzzlement or it applied only to the S line. it does seem to be locality biased, not many pros in my part of the world using Leicas as daily professional equipment.

Canon and Nikon may have set a very high bar in service turnaround that Leica locally cannot meet. It's does crimp my budget when I consider my equipment. Most pro cameras are good enough compared with the SL that quick service is a very important differentiating factor. That said I will need to refresh my relationship with the local Leica service center. The last time they dissuaded me from sending in my SF64. It's now quite dead  :(

Yes, I have explained my predicament. I've even sent multiple emails or tried to find the already hard to find contact info of the relevant departments. You know what I got? An 18 month turnaround on a WATE repair, and a very bad job at that. 

Not an insulated incident either. Lenses are routinely out at least half a year. An M240 was out for so long that I ended up buying a used body and reselling it. A loaner? No luck. Not even a reply to my emails. It's infuriatingly bad, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. 

My experience has been similar.  Not only were e-mails not answered but the telephone voice mail inbox was full so I couldn't leave a message let alone talk to a person.

This experience with Leica's "service" department is a very large factor in my decision to use equipment made by another company.

Edited by wildlightphoto

I sent an email to Germany. No reply.

I searched the website for a place to register or an email address to apply to. Doesn't exist.

And since Leica Australia is a direct subsidiary of Leica Germany why should I have to if they know?

It's not good enough. Simple as that.

Gordon

A sensible article, but some of the comments are hilarious. And nobody seems to know that Canon and Nikon are not the only FF mirrorless cameras on the market. ;)

… or that Leica introduced the first FF ICL mirrorless camera, the M9, in Sept. 2009 … 4 years prior to the FF Sony A7 in 2013

dunk

• Like 1