Mr. Trump Wants Americans To Boycott This Company

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To which I say, good luck with that.

CL/50mm Summilux asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 7

I'm not into motorbikes (or cars for that matter) but I quite like the sound of a Harley. Irrespective of Trump's politics, the future of the company is presumably going to be measured in a few decades as the internal combustion engine goes the way of the steam engine.

I'd like their mufflers boycotted. No other vehicle on the road is allowed to make so much noise without being pulled over and booked. Why is there one rule for His and another for everyone else.

I ride a Harley myself. None of these bikes leave the factory with loud pipes; they all must comply to market specific regulations. All of those 'noisy' pipes have been fitted later by the individual owners. (and before you ask  :) : my bike is stock)

• Like 2

A lovely photo, and as Tinker55 states, they leave the factory far quieter.  The only solace I can get from the loud bikers is the poetic justice that the sound must be initially painful, then annoying, leading to permanent hearing lost on long rides.  Of course that might mean the riders have to make their bikes louder still so they can continue to hear them.

I hadn't heard anything of the Trump/Harley thing until this. Interesting............

(Ok, Jaap, this is only an explanation. It's not a political discussion.)

Harley Davidson announced recently that they would start building some of their motorcycles in Europe. This annoyed Mr Trump, so he suggested a boycott.

I'm not into motorbikes (or cars for that matter) but I quite like the sound of a Harley. Irrespective of Trump's politics, the future of the company is presumably going to be measured in a few decades as the internal combustion engine goes the way of the steam engine.

I stopped following it, but HD had an electric motorcycle prototype that looked promising.

My last hand-built HD was one of the last with all American made parts, some of

which I made in my shop. The mufflers were stuffed with baffles that I added.

Couldn't even hear it while riding.

http://www.digoliardi.net/butcher.jpg

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I stopped following it, but HD had an electric motorcycle prototype that looked promising.

Here you go; planned for introduction in 2019... should be a great subject for some 'real' pics  :)

• Like 2

(Ok, Jaap, this is only an explanation. It's not a political discussion.)

Harley Davidson announced recently that they would start building some of their motorcycles in Europe. This annoyed Mr Trump, so he suggested a boycott.

Just to add to this explanation.

Harley Davidson want to start building their bikes outside the US because of the new tariffs the EU has imposed on some US goods (jeans, peanut butter, Harleys, and a few others IIRC). These tariffs were imposed as a retaliation for Trump imposing tariffs on the import of steel and aluminium to the US. Full circle.

A nice Harley Davidson should cost the same in both places.

So should a Mercedes Benz.

Both exclusive of shipping cost.

Many years ago there was such a shortage of Harleys that it was less expensive to buy one from the UK

and have it shipped back to the US.

Edited by pico

A nice Harley Davidson should cost the same in both places.

So should a Mercedes Benz.

Both exclusive of shipping cost.

Wish that was true these days...

The one I ride (Heritage Classic 114 CI) currently costs 20.849 USD (approx. 17874 EUR) whereas the current price here in The Netherlands is 29890 EUR

Disregarding the taxations (25% added to the net price) caused by the present-day silly trade quibbles, you will pay 19,4 % over the net price (plus taxation) and then 21% VAT over the gross total. The last two can be reclaimed when exporting to a country outside the EU.