Really “Is it the end of M road”?

dantemi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want an electronic viewfinder, the SL/CL are (arguably again) the most consequent way of implementing this concept, both cameras were the first time, when I found electronic viewfinders to be good enough to live without an optical one. This is coming from someone who is using rangefinders as main cameras for more than a decade. I've bought the Visoflex for the M10 but find it somewhat a compromise, partly because of it's position, partly, because I open the aperture manually before focusing, like on a 1960s SLR before shutter and aperture were coupled.

Stefan

I started my slr journey with pre-set lenses. Thank you for this post, I had never thought to open wide for focusing with the evf. Obvious really, thanks

Bunza

Agree. Exposure/contrast is different too.

I will use a tripod and redo them in a few days. In the meantime, once the focus point is a bit off-center, the subject on the Sony looks understandably soft. This lens has a swirly bokeh at times and it looks smoother on its native mount.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-8pL8zB/

α7R III + Collapsible Leica Summicron 5cm f/2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 125 f/2.0 @1/3200 sec.

M10 + Collapsible Leica Summicron 5cm f/2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/2.0 @1/4000 sec.

M10 + Collapsible Leica Summicron 5cm f/2

attachicon.gifM10 Ricinus_lufv.jpg

ISO 200 f/2.0 @1/4000 sec.

You are doing brilliant job however I have a feeling that comparing same lens on two different system cameras will always induce camera specific anomalies, due for instance thickness of glass cover.

As Leica only provided up to date 18mp and 24mp full frame models comparison between the two would probably be difficult due to small margin.

Here is a thought, Sony has 12, 24 and 42mp full frame models, comparing between 12-24 or 24-42 models could be more illustrative about megapixel advantage, even with Sony native lens, anyone aware of such comparison.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to compare uncomerable cameras.

Thinking of camera make with 24Mp sensor without AA filter and next model with near double pixel count could be Nikon D750 and D850. As they used to say in X-Files “the truth is out there”.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I did. They are not ideal but the focus point is right on the same part of the plant.

Great job, to my eyes, you've shown the visual proof of @adan formulas.

Camera resolution is not everything and, in this case, the venerable Summicron 50/2 Collapsible is the bottleneck.

In the same way that publishers rely on books like Fifty Shades Of Grey in order to sell copies of Dostoevsky, and Porsche need their Boxster and Cayenne lines to be able to sell their iconic 911, how are Leica really any different?

I find the Porsche metaphor interesting. I own a Cayman S. It is a superior automobile to the 911; the 911, though an icon, is a bad idea perfected. The Boxster, the money grab that capitalized on the success of the Miata and competed against the Z3, the Fifty Shades of Grey of Porsches, led the company to a masterpiece.

Similarly, while I own an M10 and an MP and an M-D and two M4s and an SL, I chose to take my CL with me on what wound up being a nearly 9,000 mi motorcycle ride to Alaska and back. I have taken the Q similarly to Newfoundland.

The rangefinder is a charming piece of technology, but it’s like the hand-wound mechanical watch on my wrist. I wear it but if I check its accuracy against my cell phone.

I will always want to unwind sometimes by carrying around my M4 or M10. But I think the future is—it should be—a full frame CL. Leica should “speed bump” the M10’s sensor as long as it makes sense but the CL is the perfect travel camera. I don’t care about the pixel peeping aspects of the APS-C sensor so much as the crop issue. Leica needs to find a way to position a CL-P or full frame CL in some way so as not to cannibalize the SL. I don’t think it would be that hard.

IMHO as always…

• Like 2

Great job, to my eyes, you've shown the visual proof of @adan formulas.

Camera resolution is not everything and, in this case, the venerable Summicron 50/2 Collapsible is the bottleneck.

Thanks. I will still redo them either tomorrow or on Saturday using a tripod and remote release.