Cost of 75 and 90 SL lenses...

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just because it is there doesn’t mean one need to buy it unless itch is irresistible or there is real need, like making money/living with the tools.

When I drifted from Nikon some 8 years ago I did it not because optics of AF were poor (on the contrary they were and still are excellent) but because I developed liking for manual focus optics, SL601 was real God send for me as universal digital back fully compatible with all M and R lenses - at least ones I have.

As I already have superb Summilux M 75mm, and APO Summicron M 90mm, both smaller than latest SL counterparts, also work on M camera, there is only curiosity but no real desire to acquire any of the new AF lenses.

Typical M or R lens will outlive any SL lens, simple reason no electronics.

Edit; prices are outrageous, especially being electro-optical, so shorter service life than fully mechanical counterpart and probably easier to adjust through software tweaks.

Thoughtful response.

I drifted from Nikon after using the Q. Gateway camera to the SL.

The wide open IQ of the Leica glass keeps me here.

The other thing is that AFFT is a thing of the past.

So happy I went mirrorless...

• Like 1

Thoughtful response.

I drifted from Nikon after using the Q. Gateway camera to the SL.

The wide open IQ of the Leica glass keeps me here.

The other thing is that AFFT is a thing of the past.

So happy I went mirrorless...

Donzo, we met earlier, in NikonCafe. I got my first taste of Leica lens’s there.

I don’t know why some people feel the need to come onto forums and complain about The prices of various things. There are so many options out there, so many alternatives for really the tiniest bit of money relative to how incredible the technology is. There may be a few professionals on this forum who NEED to buy top level gear; 95% of the rest of us CHOOSE to buy it, or not. Why rag about it, it is SO BORING.

In any case, the bulls*it stops when the portfolios come out. You can buy gear but you can’t buy talent. If you’re going to complain about anything, complain about that, not about how much Leica stuff costs.

Why do you care?? You could just not reply or even read the thread.

I was just wondering what other people thought about the prices.

I wanted to see if others felt the “value” was there, or actually if they felt the Leica IQ was that much better than Sony.

Gordon answered very appropriately.

You seem to be replying to my question by saying... “People shouldn’t care about the astronomically high prices”. That my be your opinion... but it’s not mine.

I dunno, Donzo. The price of Leica gear has been the subject of at least a thousand threads on this and every other forum since camera forums on the internet existed. Was it really necessary to start another new thread on the subject, which has been beaten to death so many times I can't even remember the first time I read a rant about it? 

Do a google search on "leica prices" and you get 5,600,000+ hits. Surely anything that needs be said or ranted about has been said long long long ago. What amazing new insight does your thread and unique perspective on the subject bring to the table? 

I've been using Leica gear off and on since the 1960s. There were ALWAYS rants about how expensive they were, even then. I don't get the constant wailing about the price of a "luxury" product... Makes no sense to me. That's why I said something. So shoot me.  :o

Edited by ramarren

I don’t know why some people feel the need to come onto forums and complain about The prices of various things. There are so many options out there, so many alternatives for really the tiniest bit of money relative to how incredible the technology is. There may be a few professionals on this forum who NEED to buy top level gear; 95% of the rest of us CHOOSE to buy it, or not. Why rag about it, it is SO BORING.

In any case, the bulls*it stops when the portfolios come out. You can buy gear but you can’t buy talent. If you’re going to complain about anything, complain about that, not about how much Leica stuff costs.

You ever hear of the WORD hobby?? My "portfolio"is on my computer... and hanging on the walls of my friends/family. My job is neurosurgery... this is my FUN (in addition to many other things).

So boring?? Yeah... let's talk about the tiniest nuances of the cameras, FW hopes, F2 vs 2.8, Summilux 80R versions, etc... that's MUCH MUCH MORE interesting.

I love my Leica stuff... it's all good.

Please get off your high horse.

Edited by Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dunno, Donzo. The price of Leica gear has been the subject of at least a thousand threads on this and every other forum for the past 20 or 30 years. Was it really necessary to start another new thread on the subject, which has been beaten to death so many times I can't even remember the first time I read a rant about it? 

Do a google search on "leica prices" and you get 5,600,000+ hits. Surely anything that needs be said or ranted about has been said long long long ago.  :o

Yup... I would venture to guess many things we all have posted have been asked and answered many times before.

Doesn't seem to stop people from talking.

Edited by Donzo98

Yup... I would venture to guess many things we all have posted have been asked and answered many times before.

Doesn't seem to stop people from talking.

Is that not one of the reasons we buy Leica gear?

You ever hear of the WORD hobby?? My "portfolio"is on my computer... and hanging on the walls of my friends/family. My job is neurosurgery... this is my FUN (in addition to many other things).

So boring?? Yeah... let's talk about the tiniest nuances of the cameras, FW hopes, F2 vs 2.8, Summilux 80R versions, etc... that's MUCH MUCH MORE interesting.

I love my Leica stuff... it's all good.

Please get off your high horse.

A neurosurgeon complaining about the price of Leica lenses, now THAT’s hilarious!

This thread is the verbal manifestation of soggy diapers. I think I’ll go take some pictures

A neurosurgeon complaining about the price of Leica lenses, now THAT’s hilarious!

This thread is the verbal manifestation of soggy diapers. I think I’ll go take some pictures

Wait... I need to see your portfolio first :) Or if you want... I can make you a print for your wall :) (SL + 24-90 @31mm F3)

ArubaPell-16.JPG

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 7

That's a cheap shot at Donzo.  If you find the topic "so boring" move onto another one, right? Whether he's talented, or not, is irrelevant. This is his hobby and passion. 

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

That's a cheap shot at Donzo.  If you find the topic "so boring" move onto another one, right? Whether he's talented, or not, is irrelevant. This is his hobby and passion. 

Rob

Agreed :) 100% Rob!

That's a cheap shot at Donzo. If you find the topic "so boring" move onto another one, right? Whether he's talented, or not, is irrelevant. This is his hobby and passion.

Rob

How? I didn’t say anything about his personal photographs; I was simply pointing out that expensive gear does not make us great photographers. You could put $100 camera in Alex Webb’s hands and he would shoot something more artistically valid than anybody on this forum no matter how expensive their gear is.

• Like 1

How? I didn’t say anything about his personal photographs; I was simply pointing out that expensive gear does not make us great photographers. You could put $100 camera in Alex Webb’s hands and he would shoot something more artistically valid than anybody on this forum no matter how expensive their gear is.

"I was simply pointing out that expensive gear does not make us great photographers."

Wow... never heard that before :)

Guys... I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I hope no one meant to offend me. As a peace offering, I think someone should buy me the 16-35 since no one here seems to think to think money is an object :)

PM me for me address...

Thanks for having my back my Rob... that means a lot to a neurosurgeon... LMAO.

Edited by Donzo98

Not to beat a dead horse . . . but Donzo was just ruminating about the price of Leica.  

Hey, you did the right thing and removed your post which was personal to Donzo. It was nice to do so.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1