SL Lens Tally: What More do we Need?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I'd like to see Leica introduce smaller, slower versions of what they currently have.  The amount of glass that the current lenses incorporate are the main reason the focusing is so terribly slow. Less glass in a slower lens would probably increase their body sales significantly.

Personally I'd like to see Leica introduce smaller, slower versions of what they currently have.  The amount of glass that the current lenses incorporate are the main reason the focusing is so terribly slow. Less glass in a slower lens would probably increase their body sales significantly.

Slow? What is slow? Auto focusing of S lenses?

:wacko:

Are you aware of exactly how SL and TL lenses actually focus and which elements move during focusing? 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I got a really nice shot of the moon last night with the 90-280 but I had to crop in a huge amount leaving me with only a 526x526 px image. Never the less it is lovely. This really does leave me wishing for something longer. I've also been doing a lot of birds lately and though the 280mm is good for the large well habituated shorebirds and water fowl that live next to the mult-use trail near my house, i still have to crop in a lot. Away from where I live birds are much harder to shoot with only a 280mm

I guess that I could attach the SL up to an actual telescope or a spotting scope.

Or I could get a vintage Telyt R lens. The Leica R-L adapter costs as much as the lens but I guess that I could get a cheaper Kipon.

The point is there are still a couple gaps in the SL lens lineup.

Macro

Very long telephoto

Some wide AF lenses.

A wide TS (Tilt Shift) lens for architecture.

None of these are impossible to work around and these special purpose lenses probably won't ever have the volume of general purpose lenses like a fast 50 or a standard zoom or telephoto.

• Like 2

I got a really nice shot of the moon last night with the 90-280 but I had to crop in a huge amount leaving me with only a 526x526 px image. Never the less it is lovely. This really does leave me wishing for something longer. I've also been doing a lot of birds lately and though the 280mm is good for the large well habituated shorebirds and water fowl that live next to the mult-use trail near my house, i still have to crop in a lot. Away from where I live birds are much harder to shoot with only a 280mm

I guess that I could attach the SL up to an actual telescope or a spotting scope.

Or I could get a vintage Telyt R lens. The Leica R-L adapter costs as much as the lens but I guess that I could get a cheaper Kipon.

The point is there are still a couple gaps in the SL lens lineup.

Macro

Very long telephoto

Some wide AF lenses.

A wide TS (Tilt Shift) lens for architecture.

None of these are impossible to work around and these special purpose lenses probably won't ever have the volume of general purpose lenses like a fast 50 or a standard zoom or telephoto.

My workaround to obtain a 400mm lens for the SL … and it could also be used with the Leica R APO 1.4x and 2x extenders via an Leica R to SL adapter 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275370-vintage-lenses-on-the-sl/?p=3527648

dunk 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wishing and predicting....then both celebrating and complaining. Should be entertaining from June through September Photokina, and not just Leica news.

Jeff

Well said … it always happens … and there will likely be hundreds more 'opinions' posts …. which will gradually dwindle to a trickle … until the next product launch when it starts all over again!  

And someone is bound to say (again) something along the lines of, "If Leica used my idea they'd sell zillions of … " 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire