Polarizing filters

lawman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had any experience with polarizing filters on the CL? I have a B&W circular Käsemann filter and in use I cannot see any variation in the CL viewfinder when turning the filter ring - what should I be seeing in bright sunlight? I use the Leica holder on my M240 with no problems. Thanks

Edited by lawman

Normally, you should maximum effect facing about 90 degrees from the sun. If clear sky, it should darken when rotated. If thick overcast, you would not see any difference. If looking towards or directly away from sun, much less difference, except possibly on reflections. But you probably know that..... I have issues with DSLRs and circular  polarizing filters when wearing polarizing sunglasses, so have to take off my sunglasses. Not sure how the CL viewfinder would behave, but have not seen any issues with EVF on SL and polarizing filters (same circular Kasemann filter as you use).

Normally, you should maximum effect facing about 90 degrees from the sun. If clear sky, it should darken when rotated. If thick overcast, you would not see any difference. If looking towards or directly away from sun, much less difference, except possibly on reflections. But you probably know that..... I have issues with DSLRs and circular polarizing filters when wearing polarizing sunglasses, so have to take off my sunglasses. Not sure how the CL viewfinder would behave, but have not seen any issues with EVF on SL and polarizing filters (same circular Kasemann filter as you use).

Yes, thanks, this is what I would expect. My issue is that when following these principles I can’t see the sky darken at all in the viewfinder. I wanted to know if this is a common problem with the CL finder, or is there an issue with my filter.

Maybe the brightness compensation of the EVF keeps the sky constant. You should notice a lightening of the rest of the image in that case.

Yes, this is a possibility. I can’t see anyway to disable the auto brightness feature- can this be done?

In the main menu there is an exposure preview option which may help.  I recently acquired the Lee Se5en circular polariser and had a brief play with it on Friday during my lunch break.  I could see the changes it was making in the viewfinder.  One way that you should be able to judge the changes is to keep an eye on the exposure.  As the filter is rotated, the exposure should change.

I'm off out to a local lake for a wander around and to experiment with the polariser, ND grad and ND filters in a while.  If I get time later, I'll report back...