Adobe RGB question

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking to start printing my photographs.  I currently shoot raw and edit the raw files in Capture One on an NEC PA272W.  I save them in the sRGB color space for web viewing.  I read that many printers are now using Adobe RGB.  To use this color space, do I simply proceed as I have been, editing my raw files the exact same way, and then export the jpeg as Adobe RGB?  Could I export it twice, once with Adobe RGB and once with sRGB, so I have a JPEG for printing and a JPEG for internet sharing?  Or do I need to edit my raw files specifically for each color profile?

If you edited the picture in Adobe RGB and exported it in Adobe RGB, printed it, and were satisfied with the result, and you then exported the same version in sRGB and viewed it in a web browser and were dissatisfied with the result, then I would say you were being a bit too pernickety.

You actually don't edit the raw file's information from the sensor and the metadata that goes with it that is in the file, such as .dng.  You either embed editing changes into the file or associate a sidecar file (.xmp) with the raw file.  This allows the changes to be reversible.  With a Leica, Adobe .dng format has a standard as to where the edits get put inside the .dng file, leaving all the original data unchanged.  In Lightroom you can select embedding with a .dng or you can select the use of a sidecar for .dng.  I don't see any reason to prefer one over the other.

Whatever photo processing program you use to edit has to have a color space to work in.  Your camera should be set to Adobe RGB.  You should then edit in the Adobe RGB profile.  Some use the Photo Pro color space.  I have had trouble when an image edited in Photo Pro space is used outside the photo editor.

Most printers also require a tagged color space.  If the printer and file color spaces don't match, you will have trouble.

I don't see any reason to use sRGB because web browsers usually just do their own thing.  Stated another way, in general there is no way to get color-managed images on the web.  So just use Adobe RGB and don't worry about how the web treats them. 

I should have explained why browsers ignore profiles.  99.9% of all the monitors in the world aren't color managed.  So nearly all monitors distort the colors anyway.  As a result there is no impetus to have the browser display accurate colors.

With your NEC monitor you are in the 00.1% of color managed web users.