Leica Noctilux-M f1.25 75 mm introduced

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(the Otus bokeh does get affected by the fact that it is not used on its native mount): https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GGCRrg/

Why would the mount (sensor) affect the bokeh? As long as the resolution of the sensor is reasonably high, which sensor shouldn't make any difference; the image is created on a plane by a lens whose bokeh characteristics are fully determined before the image gets to the sensor plane.

Why would the mount (sensor) affect the bokeh? As long as the resolution of the sensor is reasonably high, which sensor shouldn't make any difference; the image is created on a plane by a lens whose bokeh characteristics are fully determined before the image gets to the sensor plane.

One could of course argue that not the lens mount but the sensor (micro lens array, cover glass, low pass filter, absorption characteristics of the semiconductor material itself, etc.) is part of the optical imaging system. If this component of the optical system had any influence on the bokeh of the actual image you might be able to notice it by comparing images taken with the same lense on different types of cameras and keeping everything else the same.

Edited by laowai_

I haven’t really been able to find a good answer as to why optical performance is affected when a lens is mounted on an adapter but I can see it. The bokeh of the Otus looks less smooth and less pleasing on the SL than on the 5DS R to my eyes. Perhaps this provides an answer: https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/06/how-do-lens-adapters-affect-cameras-image-quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By following the links, one can find the source material for that article, and some related discussions....

[...]

I cannot confirm how it works with 35mm FF but with LF placing a filter behind the lens shifts the focus at about 1/2 the thickness of the filter.

Same filter thread as Tri-Elmar 16-18-21/4 i guess.

mmmh..probably with an adapter, but I never owned that lens and I doubt it's as large as this nonsense-lens. If this lens was created for an SL-Body only it'd be an amazing-Lens, with capital L, but it's a lens for an M-camera...to me, is way too big. When I use the Nocti 0.95 I feel its 60mm scares people...I couldn't have a lens larger than that one.

• Like 1

I haven’t really been able to find a good answer as to why optical performance is affected when a lens is mounted on an adapter but I can see it. The bokeh of the Otus looks less smooth and less pleasing on the SL than on the 5DS R to my eyes. Perhaps this provides an answer: https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/06/how-do-lens-adapters-affect-cameras-image-quality

That article, and others relating to cover glass thickness are of course quite true, and it's easily shown with fairly basic optical diagrams how this happens. The problems that different cover glass thicknesses cause is due to the steep angle of incidence that non-retrofocus and minimally retrofocus wide-angle lenses create in the corners of the frame.

I have about 25 Leica lenses as well as a Sony A7rII and some m43 cameras, and very few Leica lenses are anywhere near as 'good' (regarding corner performance) on the Sony and Olympus cameras as they are on the Leicas, so I'm quite aware of the issue, as well as quite aware of its optical cause.

Bokeh, in the first instance is not a edge and corner of frame effect, but an overall effect that, as I mentioned, is created by the lens before the imaging rays hit the sensor stack; secondly the angle of incidence problem does not occur with the Otus lens because the exit pupil is quite far from the image plane and is an SLR lens and thirdly bokeh is not a characteristic that is particularly affected by the angle of incidence/cover glass/corner smearing in any case.

I do not have any Otus lens but I have quite a few other Canon, Nikon and Leica SLR lenses. I will try some appropriate ones to see if their bokeh characteristics are different on different sensors. It goes against the optical principles that I'm familiar with, but I shall be prepared to be astounded.

• Like 2

Anything which changes the optical path has the potential to change the resultant image. So, sensor and associated cover can do so, obviously. The mount and or adapter, on the other hand is simply a (sophisticated) tube and provided it isn't actually blocking the optical path and thus disrupting/changing it, will have no effect whatsoever (assuming it is engineered accurately).

• Like 1

Anything which changes the optical path has the potential to change the resultant image. So, sensor and associated cover can do so, obviously. The mount and or adapter, on the other hand is simply a (sophisticated) tube and provided it isn't actually blocking the optical path and thus disrupting/changing it, will have no effect whatsoever (assuming it is engineered accurately).

Well put.

Edited by MarkP

Sorry Paul - I only realised it was being announced yesterday.

But I’ll have no criticisms of the 75 ‘cron (one of my all time favorites!)

I’ll talk to some people and perhaps I’ll do a write up over the next week or so

Comparison photos, Jono, you know we want them!

75mm -- Summicron vs Summilux vs Noctilux   ;)

• Like 3

I have a suspicion that the prices for 75mm Summiluxes are again on the way up. I have one so I shouldn't really be too dismayed (it will be underinsured now though :() but this does seem to be a rather odd side effect of Leica's "reintroductions" .....

I think that is bad rumour. Leica is better in controlling their machining processes.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Don't let me laugh...Why are so many lenses sent back to the factory to calibrate?  And does every lens perform as stated? see: 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/278267-any-thoughts-on-the-behavior-of-this-super-elmarit-24mm-asph/

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

I’ve heard that this lens is so difficult to make, only four out of ten are good enough to be sold. The rest are scrapped. if 

I'm glad if the quality control is even better than with the 75 Summicron.

To many of them leave the factory being faulty IMHO. I tried 6 lenses until now , non were ok IMHO. For this price it's allright for me if Leica only sells one of ten, as long as there are no issues with it. 

• Like 1

Another 'statement' lens which most likely intended to show just how good Leica designs can be; no doubt it will do. Given the price though I will stick with the Summilux :D!

Agreed. A new Summilux 75 would’ve been just that bit more compact and affordable (in relative terms) to be much more popular. This will be a trophy piece for the very few who can afford and justify it.