Leica Noctilux-M f1.25 75 mm introduced

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two guys show up to a lifestyle-fashion shoot. One with the 75mm 1.25 on an SL and the other with a 105mm 1.4E Nikkor on a D850. Guess who is walking away with not only the most usable amount of shots but the best composed and focused shots?

I am also willing to bet that the 70 gram lighter 105mm 1.4E gives the 75 Nocti-bux a serious run for it's money in terms of optics, it is one of the best lenses I have used in any format by any maker. 

This is a peculiar argument and has little relevance to an experienced M user.

I don't even like the 105mm 1.4 that much either.

Currently I'm using a Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art on my SL. It's effectively a manual focus lens on the SL so the new Noct would be a bit shorter, faster and much, much smaller (but about the same weight).

I'm interested, but only if the purple fringing that is so rampant in  the 50 is gone. Haven't seen that mentioned yet. If it really is gone I'd probably sell my 50 and get this instead.

Gordon

How's Sigma working on SL? Is it difficult to focus? You have some images you would care to share...?

Thanx / Alex

It's all sorts of things for all sorts of people. To me the Noctilux, 75 Summilux and 90 Apo-Cron aren't that big. This is right up my street.

It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. For me, having my M with a Nocti attached was like walking around with a brick on a strap.

Well, I will admit that if you're planning to shoot this lens wide open all the time in low light, then focusing is a challenge, but that sort of depth of field isn't really much easier on a D850 either, clearly there is going to be a 'hit rate', on the other hand the results are nice anyway, and slightly missed focus doesn't necessarily spoil the picture. 

I guess that this lens might not have been produced for film Leicas, but reading the blurb, it is part of the Leica ecosystem, and will be great to use on the SL (I know) and fun to use on the CL (I imagine). The existence of these cameras add to it's tenability (if that's a word!). 

Whatever, it haunts my dreams - I definitely want one, and I'm currently thinking up strategies for getting one!

All the best

Jono

I think we all are doing the same i.e Whatever, it haunts my dreams - I definitely want one, and I'm currently thinking up strategies for getting one!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think we all are doing the same i.e Whatever, it haunts my dreams - I definitely want one, and I'm currently thinking up strategies for getting one!

Not all of us. 

F2 is generally the fastest I ever need though I do have a couple of Summiluxes that get occasional use. We're not all fans of ultra-thin depth of focus. Nice for those who are, though.

Not all of us. 

F2 is generally the fastest I ever need though I do have a couple of Summiluxes that get occasional use. We're not all fans of ultra-thin depth of focus. Nice for those who are, though.

Oh Peter - that was the excuse I used when I sold my Noctilux (still regretting it).

• Like 1

Oh Peter - that was the excuse I used when I sold my Noctilux (still regretting it).

I sold mine too because apart from playing with it when it was new, I never used the widest apertures, so it was wasted on me. I hardly ever enjoy looking at photos with totally blurred-out backgrounds. And certainly not portraits which virtually always leave me wishing I could see a bit more of the subject as well as a bit of background which is often the thing that transforms a pretty patch of colour into something worth thinking about. As for wine glasses...

If it's an unavoidable by-product of taking a photo in the dark, I can understand it, but otherwise, I don't like it. Honestly.

• Like 3

I enjoy the Nocti 50 and I've loved the 75 Summilux - both on film, the monochrom and the SL.  I am really interested to see when the 75 summicron for the SL will be released.  So far the SL lenses have been incredibly detailed at the micro-contrast level.  I just keep visiting the Leica site and it says "soon" - seems that Leica has been too busy as of late to meet their estimated timeframes for releasing products....

So, still anxiously awaiting the SL 75 to compare to the Summilux and Nocti 75....

I don't know - It must be a wonderful lens. However, I really liked the Summilux 75, yet I sold it, as I found it too big and heavy for normal use. I am sure this lens would suffer the same fate. The price is undoubtedly a prime  deterrent as well, although I am convinced that it is in keeping with the development and manufacturing costs.

• Like 2

Not all of us.

Indeed. I genuinely wouldn’t buy this lens if it was £1,000 let alone £10,000. Leaving aside that I’ve never got on with this focal length, I prefer my M lenses to be no larger or heavier than a 35 Summicron.

• Like 3

Since attending one of Thorsten Overgaard's courses I got 'hooked' on the Nocti (.95) and find I seldom use my 50 lux anymore (not that it too is not a great lens).  I kind of have got used to the weight (including the Really Right Stuff grip and thumbs-up).  Sure it is a bit of a beast (compared with my 35FLE), but when you capture that special moment with the Nocti, in my humble opinion is just is very nice indeed and 'magical'. Expensive sure-- but I don't regret buying it.  I wonder what Thorsten will have to say about the forthcoming lens.  He obviously has raved about the R80 in the past as well.  From years past, my trusty Nikkor 105 on an FE2 was a very good combination.  It begs the question of maybe I should get a Nikkor to M240 adapter?  Has anyone tried the 75 Nocti lens of a M240 and can comment of the focusing experience as compared with 50 Nocti .95?  My eyes are still 'good' and seldom use the Visioflex which I find slow, and 'mood detracting' experience (this is just me)-- but I do agree that using it does make likelihood of 'hitting' the focus greater.  But one 'odd' experience I am trying to 'learn' is that sometimes you can still have a great photo EVEN when the focus isn't tack sharp, that actually being a slight bit off can in certain circumstances provide a different feeling.  Just my 2 cents worth. A lifelong quest of learning ahead (for a 63 year old....hah).

So, I'm one of those who wears glasses and takes them off to use my cameras (by putting on -3.0 diopters on the viewfinder).  I have both the Nocti 50 and the 'Lux 75.  In terms of RF focus, I can nail both on film, which is more forgiving because of the thickness.  I have also found I can nail them both on the M-10 because the viewfinder is that much better than the 240.  It almost makes we want to sell my M246 Monochrom.  However, I also use (for fun) a Nikon F3P with the 85mm 1.4, 105mm 2.5 and the 180mm 2.8.  These have some thin focus ranges too, but what I find is that I have to focus slowly because the focus screens are not near as easy as lining up two images.  For me at least, I can have a little fuzzy vision and still line up the rangefinder.  I think it comes with use.  I have also used both these lenses on the SL, and for vision impaired, the EVF is a dream.  I really like the SL with M lenses... but I also like the SL with SL lenses in the weather.

• Like 1

I have kept out of this debate until now. For a short time I owned a Noctilux 0.95 50mm. It was heavy, blocked the viewfinder and I sold it. Why on earth would I want a huge 75mm viewfinder block at £10,000? These lenses are probably OK in a studio but not on a hike around the countryside. Now I'll crawl back into my hole. 

• Like 4

... For me at least, I can have a little fuzzy vision and still line up the rangefinder...

If the fuzziness is due to any astigmatism, glasses might suit even better. I use gasses (for distance and astigmatism) and a diopter (+.5) for best results.

Jeff

I have kept out of this debate until now. For a short time I owned a Noctilux 0.95 50mm. It was heavy, blocked the viewfinder and I sold it. Why on earth would I want a huge 75mm viewfinder block at £10,000? These lenses are probably OK in a studio but not on a hike around the countryside. Now I'll crawl back into my hole. 

Peter, I too do not have relevant experience to contribute, so have kept to myself, learning from our members.

But would like to share one perspective:

Such leading edge lens with super pricing will always set us apart - those who respond with their affectionate heart (to buy) & those who with their reasoning mind (not to).

The common denominator is how the pricing would impact each of us financially.

It is wishful hope that this can be cheaper than Noctilux 50, and we know it will be priced more than Thambar.

I recall there was an unusual way of looking at Thambar price = $325 per blade (20), so Noctilux 75 price = $1,163 per blade (11 only).

For me, I cannot afford it. If I could, I would get one - even if I would use it only one day each year, whether due to size, weight or ease of use.

I am speaking for myself, no umbrage intended.

Edited by bencychin
  • Like 2

I sold mine too because apart from playing with it when it was new, I never used the widest apertures, so it was wasted on me. I hardly ever enjoy looking at photos with totally blurred-out backgrounds. And certainly not portraits which virtually always leave me wishing I could see a bit more of the subject as well as a bit of background which is often the thing that transforms a pretty patch of colour into something worth thinking about. As for wine glasses...

If it's an unavoidable by-product of taking a photo in the dark, I can understand it, but otherwise, I don't like it. Honestly.

I really don't like the over use of Bokeh - Bokeh for the sake of Bokeh. It's mind numbing and hollow. For me it has to have a purpose and it has to be relevant and judicious.

I use mine wide open maybe less than 5% but when I do I consider it like a bombshell. The problem is you have to understand it to know when to use it and that takes practice and a lot of using it wide open. That is the learning curve.

Also consider that in terms of portraits, and in particular with large format, on a 10x8 camera it's like f9. That is not uncommon and when it's done properly it's utterly sublime. That is the some of the aesthetic you can have in a tiny camera you can hand hold, for me that is a fascinating and useful tool.

Edited by Paul J