Leica Noctilux-M f1.25 75 mm introduced

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Leica would say that the 75 Summilux isn't good enough (isn't that why they stopped making it). I love it, but a comparison shows that it's talents are artistic rather than technical!

I believe the 75 Summilux was discontinued because some of the glass types used no longer withstood environmental scrutiny (lead content), or may have been discontinued for economic/volume reasons. Some of the f/1.4's glass elements were always made at the Midland Canada factory, even after assembly moved entirely back to Germany (Solms) and Hughes Aerospace ran the facility.

Asiafish said: The most impressive thing about this lens is that it will focus to .85 meters.  The 50mm Noctilux only focuses to 1 meter, which for me is the biggest limitation.

True - except that the previous 75s (except the original f/2.5 Summarit) all focus down to 0.7m (0.75m for the f/1.4). Which for me has always been the primary reason to choose 75mm over 90mm. Studio and other detail work with an M body.

Taken with 75 Summilux @ 0.75m and f/5.6 on M9 - full-frame and detail crop. These days I use the Summarit f/2.4 instead...more "Leica-sized" as fotografr and reciprocity say ;) .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, as I expanded in the "rumor" thread about the f/1.25, it is an understandable limitation on such a large, heavy lens.

The f/1.25 is certainly an amazing technical achievement (especially for distortion), and Peter Karbe should be rightfully proud.

• Like 2

I won't be buying it...My drive is only 200 yards long and I need to get my Ferrari and two Bentleys in the shot - the FOV is too narrow...

Seriously - this can only be a prestige lens to show off the capabilities of Leica - and impressive it is. For photographers the interest/price ratio is prohibitive.

• Like 8

At the moment this lens to me is a capability statement. Jono's RF image speaks to the capability of this lens wide open and it is a unique portrait. Whether it would look even more pleasing at 2.0 is a different question and probably very subjective. He must have the eye of an eagle to do it reproducibly with a RF, I don't, hence would need an EVF. Which also begs the question whether Leica could consider a variant with an L mount such that this 20000 USD system doesn't look like patchwork due to the adapter.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand the criticism of Leica and the introduction of this lens, personally I'll not buy it but who knows what the future will bring.   Leica has every lens covered well, leaving exotics as the only area to innovate.  It is a tribute to Peter Karbe that these lenses exist along with many others we enjoy on a daily basis.  

I guess the depth-of-field marking is purely decoration :)

The lens is probably better suited for the SL, however, I'm guessing autofocus couldn't cope with it, so they made it an M-lens.

There is certainly a l'art pour l'art - element in it, at least one of the nine elements...

Stefan

Impressive lens, but I will stick to my 75/1.4 and 90/2, both Mandler designs. Very happy with them both for portrait photography. Contrary to most users I actually prefer the 90/2, but I admit Adan has a point that the close focus of 0.75 makes the 75 a bit more convenient.

• Like 3

I think mine might have, so maybe you’ve seen one already?

Have you done a review of this lens, Jono?

What is it like stopped down a bit? Is it distinctive and characterful as wide open, or does it become just like the Summicron 75mm from f/2 onwards? Would you pick one rather than the other for a stopped down shot - if you just happened to have them both to hand?

Two guys show up to a lifestyle-fashion shoot. One with the 75mm 1.25 on an SL and the other with a 105mm 1.4E Nikkor on a D850. Guess who is walking away with not only the most usable amount of shots but the best composed and focused shots?

I am also willing to bet that the 70 gram lighter 105mm 1.4E gives the 75 Nocti-bux a serious run for it's money in terms of optics, it is one of the best lenses I have used in any format by any maker.

I’m going to answer this seriously

In the first place I won’t argue with your first paragraph - The guy with the 105mm F1.4 Nikkor on the D850 is walking away with the most usable shots and the best focused shots (not sure about composition, but perhaps you’ll let me off there).

The fact that the 105 is 70gms lighter is fairly irrelevant in that the D850 is 300? Grams heavier than the SL, but hey, if you’re really shooting seriously who cares.

But lens design in itself is a worthwhile occupation, and perhaps the lessons learned from this lens will go to improve lens design in the future, and as long as Leica (at least) break even, then there really doesn’t seem to be grounds for complaint. . . And if they make a profit then perhaps some of it will go towards faster repair turnaround!

I’ve been lucky enough to spend a couple of months shooting with the 75 nocti, and whilst I’d be mad to deny that I’d have had a higher hit rate with a D850 and a 105 f1.4, I did get some pictures I like. . . And if I can find another kidney somewhere then I will be buying one.

What I’m saying is that there is room for all positions, and if this lens goes on to be a ‘trophy’ lens for the well heeled, it doesn’t detract from the fact that it’s a cracking lens, and will almost certainly go on to inform other designs in the future.

• Like 7

Have you done a review of this lens, Jono?

What is it like stopped down a bit? Is it distinctive and characterful as wide open, or does it become just like the Summicron 75mm from f/2 onwards? Would you pick one rather than the other for a stopped down shot - if you just happened to have them both to hand?

Sorry Paul - I only realised it was being announced yesterday.

But I’ll have no criticisms of the 75 ‘cron (one of my all time favorites!)

I’ll talk to some people and perhaps I’ll do a write up over the next week or so

Sorry Paul - I only realised it was being announced yesterday.

But I’ll have no criticisms of the 75 ‘cron (one of my all time favorites!)

I’ll talk to some people and perhaps I’ll do a write up over the next week or so

"just like the Summicron 75mm" wasn't meant as disrespectful  :) - it's the first lens I'd grab if our house was on fire!

• Like 1

To me, in no way does that image say stunning or that a $20,000 camera and lens combo was used. Should we not reserve the phrase for something that really is?

It's stunning. Pretty easy to see when you know what you are looking for.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

Taken yer grumpy pill :)

I do agee about the snap I took, but perhaps he was speaking of the eyelashes and the bokeh rather than the actual picture, which was posted to indicate that it was possible to focus with a rangefinder.

The colour looks very similar to the 50 APO-Summicron. The detail is incredible.

It's a 75mm Summilux on steroids, just better everything.

• Like 1

...Which also begs the question whether Leica could consider a variant with an L mount such that this 20000 USD system doesn't look like patchwork due to the adapter.

...or build an EVF based camera with a native M-Mount.  Frankly, given this announcement,  the 90mm 1.5, rumors of a 35mm Noctilux and Leica emphasizing the use of EVF, perhaps such a body is not as unreasonable as it once might have seemed to some.   I'm looking at you Jono :)   

• Like 2

I guess I'm in the minority here, but for me M shooting has always been about having relatively small, light weight gear that is discreet, fast focusing and can deliver superb image quality. In my 30 years of M photography, I've owned the 90mm Summicron, 75mm Summilux and two copies of the Noctilux. I happily parted with all of them due to their size, weight and long focus throw.

The notion of putting the new 75mm on a CL seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of having a compact, light weight camera system. My sense is that this new lens, as someone already pointed out, is mostly about being able to produce a lens that looks great on the optical charts. I have zero interest in it.

It's all sorts of things for all sorts of people. To me the Noctilux, 75 Summilux and 90 Apo-Cron aren't that big. This is right up my street.

• Like 2

I still like it, even when you don’t quite get it right!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But especially when you do

• Like 13

...or build an EVF based camera with a native M-Mount.  Frankly, given this announcement,  the 90mm 1.5, rumors of a 35mm Noctilux and Leica emphasizing the use of EVF, perhaps such a body is not as unreasonable as it once might have seemed to some.   I'm looking at you Jono :)

Don’t look at me! I’ve no objection to an EVF based camera with a native M mount (although I can’t really see the advantage over an L mount). But I Know Nothing!
  • Like 2

Jono you are a photographer who can make the best of the lens.

It is unlikely that most of us could do the same.

Look forward to 75mm Noctilux owners posting pictures of their cats.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Hmm... being in my 6th decade now, its nice to see that 75 is the new 50.  From what little I've seen so far, I'd certainly entertain owning this lens, but then I suspect my wife would entertain the notion of having me committed were I to acquire one.  I can't deny a twinge of desire, but true love, such as I have for the Summilux, is hopefully capable of overcoming such things.    

• Like 3