New S 008

nunnzzzz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24S is one of the very best lenses among any manufacturers. 

I think the Fujinon GF23mm has better resolution and sharpness than the S24 in my own comparison and experience. But it probably also has to do with the synergy with the sensor. The 50mp sony sensor is just a superior sensor to the S007 CMOS.

I think the Fujinon GF23mm has better resolution and sharpness than the S24 in my own comparison and experience. But it probably also has to do with the synergy with the sensor. The 50mp sony sensor is just a superior sensor to the S007 CMOS.

Wow that’s a brave statement [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Be prepared for “the anything but leica” haters to bombard you with [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we’re talking lenses I’m eenee meenee miinee moo when it comes to the HC100MM f2.2 and the HC150 super combat. They both have a very special rendering...... and on par with my S120mm summerlux

Neil

Wow that’s a brave statement [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Be prepared for “the anything but leica” haters to bombard you with [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Neil

Well, you can't expect time and technology to stand still. If you don't develop, you are out... Leica's S is the case, I am sad to say... even without it's quality issue...

My reference for detail and tonality is 4x5 Tmax 100 printed in the darkroom on fiber-based paper. I have just done a direct comparison of the same shot with S 006 printed on Ilford black and white photographic paper and a 4x5 darkroom print. Both prints were 28cm on the long side. There is no perceivable difference between the two with respect to detail and tonality.

I am not lacking for anything, although I am not opposed to more advances in technology.

Any forum people who live near Zurich and Zug are welcome to look at the prints.

Jesse

• Like 2

My reference for detail and tonality is 4x5 Tmax 100 printed in the darkroom on fiber-based paper. I have just done a direct comparison of the same shot with S 006 printed on Ilford black and white photographic paper and a 4x5 darkroom print. Both prints were 28cm on the long side. There is no perceivable difference between the two with respect to detail and tonality.

I am not lacking for anything, although I am not opposed to more advances in technology.

Any forum people who live near Zurich and Zug are welcome to look at the prints.

Jesse

Correction: both images are 28cm on the long side. The prints are larger.

Jesse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, you can't expect time and technology to stand still. If you don't develop, you are out... Leica's S is the case, I am sad to say... even without it's quality issue...

The question is whether Leica's S-line will end with the current offerings. I, for what's worth, don't think so. Not at all. Actually, I belong to those looking forward to the next incarnation of the S, whether with optical or electronic vf (or both). And if the new S will be mirrorless, I strongly believe that the existing lenses - most of which are outstanding - can be adapted to a thinner body.

I also like that the S-lenses can be used on the SL. But this is obviously only relevant for SL-users.

It's of course sad and irritating with the af-problems. But I have hardly heard about problems with the (optically excellent) SL-zooms, so the af-issues belong to the past.

The question is whether Leica's S-line will end with the current offerings. I, for what's worth, don't think so. Not at all. Actually, I belong to those looking forward to the next incarnation of the S, whether with optical or electronic vf (or both). And if the new S will be mirrorless, I strongly believe that the existing lenses - most of which are outstanding - can be adapted to a thinner body.

I also like that the S-lenses can be used on the SL. But this is obviously only relevant for SL-users.

It's of course sad and irritating with the af-problems. But I have hardly heard about problems with the (optically excellent) SL-zooms, so the af-issues belong to the past.

I would be more enticed with the S007, or S008, if there were newer S zooms with OIS like the SL. I’d welcome smaller size (meaning as small as possible) at the expense of focal length range, however.

But I have doubts about any of this happening.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Always good to have new product and competition. We can only benefit from all these. Let's hope S will have something new down the line.

I would be more enticed with the S007, or S008, if there were newer S zooms with OIS like the SL. I’d welcome smaller size (meaning as small as possible) at the expense of focal length range, however.

But I have doubts about any of this happening.

Jeff

Well, most rumor now is that the next gen GFX 100s will be IBIS... That will be the holy grail I guess. Oh and also the GFX 50R rangefinder style camera... let's hope that one will have the IBIS!

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 1

Well, most rumor now is that the next gen GFX 100s will be IBIS... That will be the holy grail I guess. Oh and also the GFX 50R rangefinder style camera... let's hope that one will have the IBIS!

I tried the GFX, but greatly preferred the form factor, handling and interface of the X1D, which seems my best option so far. The compact body, lenses and leaf shutter enhance handhold-ability despite lack of OIS or IBIS.

The GFX rangefinder body may be a different kettle... but not clear on timing, which will play a part in my system purchase decision.

Jeff

I tried the GFX, but greatly preferred the form factor, handling and interface of the X1D, which seems my best option so far. The compact body, lenses and leaf shutter enhance handhold-ability despite lack of OIS or IBIS.

The GFX rangefinder body may be a different kettle... but not clear on timing, which will play a part in my system purchase decision.

Jeff

Well, it's a rumor anyway... if it ever were going to be announced, probably will be this is photokina... with delivery aim at next year? The price is very competitive though... said to be 1000USD lower than the GFX 50s... effectively killing off GFX 50s... cause I think they will put out the 100s early next year. Finger cross on the IBIS

Tried the X1D, really don't like its slowness and its terrible firmware at that time. A lot of my friends switch to it from GFX citing exact same reasons as yours, and now they are complaining about how terrible the stability and built quality issue. Albeit, the DJI has allowed Hasselblad to do a lot of firmware repair to an otherwise half finished product. But it's still just a patch work that maybe fix part of its design issue.

For me, Not having a physical focal plane shutter really does limit this camera in its adaptability and usage. Hasselblad always closed down their eco-system and ended dead in a shallow pond... But all this will be fixed with a universal electric shutter in the far future, then they will be a contender to the GFX in my mind. I am more of a functionality over form kind of guy....

So, if Leica ever go down the mirrorless route, please reduce the flange distance and make it with a FPS! without it, you will be swimming in the same pond as X1D...

Edited by xiaubauu2009

The X1D went from half baked to over 80% baked IMO due the surprisingly quick and effective FW improvements. I thought I’d be waiting for an X2D, and still might if one is announced, but the X1D is now a contender after being ruled out at initial demo. I’m a form AND functionality kind of guy.

I only use native lenses on my cameras, so non-native flexibility is not a concern. But native lens options, performance and availability certainly are. Right now that remains a key limitation for me. The SL would have been a possibility if the zooms had been smaller, even with narrower focal length ranges. Can’t have it all.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Other than size, I have zero envy for X1D. Not to say Fuji or H6D. Sometimes, some people just want the latest and newest. It is more a psychological effect than physical need. I am guilty as charged as well. 

After browse through images took with S, I'd think differently, 8 years old S2 can still compete with any current offer no matter it is D850, 5DS, A7RII~X or X1D and GFX under most condition, I even vastly prefer its output for portrait than any modern system.

If I don't switch system or sell it at lost,(good for buyer though, common, $2500 for 120 APO-S, that is stupid) It still give the pleasure and satisfaction just like 5 years ago :) The lens rendering is still top without peer. Just saying. 

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 5

The X1D went from half baked to over 80% baked IMO due the surprisingly quick and effective FW improvements. I thought I’d be waiting for an X2D, and still might if one is announced, but the X1D is now a contender after being ruled out at initial demo. I’m a form AND functionality kind of guy.

I only use native lenses on my cameras, so non-native flexibility is not a concern. But native lens options, performance and availability certainly are. Right now that remains a key limitation for me. The SL would have been a possibility if the zooms had been smaller, even with narrower focal length ranges. Can’t have it all.

Jeff

I remembered traveling to the northern part of Japan with Leica S007 + 2 lens and extra set of DB with Alpa 12MAX and a few Rodenstock lens in a backpack and it weight closed to 20kg. and with a tripod thrown in, it's easily 25kg on my back walking 2 hours to 3 hours for a week... I am too old for that.

GFX is a 1 body do it all kind of camera, which X1D can be too and better as well, once the ES is more developed. I now only bring 1 Fuji set and a Cambo Actus and a few enlarging lens, total weight less than 12kg... and I can get close to the same result of a proper tech cam. So adaptability is very important for me.

Other than size, I have zero envy for X1D. Not to say Fuji or H6D. Sometimes, some people just want the latest and newest. It is more a psychological effect than physical need. I am guilty as charged as well. 

After browse through images took with S, I'd think differently, 8 years old S2 can still compete with any current offer no matter it is D850, 5DS, A7RII~X or X1D and GFX under most condition, I even vastly prefer its output for portrait than any modern system.

If I don't switch system or sell it at lost,(good for buyer though, common, $2500 for 120 APO-S, that is stupid) It still give the pleasure and satisfaction just like 5 years ago :) The lens rendering is still top without peer. Just saying. 

It's not really the latest and greatest, but one that work for one's need I guess. Can't deny the fact that some functionality in the latest generation camera is very useful at getting properly critical shot when you are in a situation where you can't get the most stable footing/support even mounted on tripod.... i am talking about ES....

I think an 8 as a DSLR is a sure thing. Beyond that is an interesting question for Leica.

1. Sensors are getting fantastic, EVR is now fantastic.

The Leica SL is what a mirrorless S would have been two years ago.

If I were starting from scratch as a user, I would have migrated from my M8 to the SL with higher resolution, rather than the S2, has the SL been available in it's current form back then. Will an SL ever compete with an S2 for output? I would expect so.

2. My reason for the S system was I wanted no excuse for not having the best chance at the best outcome. The S007 still provides that, and a mirrorless S that will call for new lenses is not enticing. If I want mirrorless I would go SL. Sure existing S lenses will work on an mirrorless S, but with an adapter. I suspect that DSLRs will eventually be supplanted by mirrorless, but in the same way a rangefinder still existed after SLRs, I think the DSLR S will exist for a long time.

I think an 8 as a DSLR is a sure thing. Beyond that is an interesting question for Leica.

1. Sensors are getting fantastic, EVR is now fantastic.

The Leica SL is what a mirrorless S would have been two years ago.

If I were starting from scratch as a user, I would have migrated from my M8 to the SL with higher resolution, rather than the S2, has the SL been available in it's current form back then. Will an SL ever compete with an S2 for output? I would expect so.

2. My reason for the S system was I wanted no excuse for not having the best chance at the best outcome. The S007 still provides that, and a mirrorless S that will call for new lenses is not enticing. If I want mirrorless I would go SL. Sure existing S lenses will work on an mirrorless S, but with an adapter. I suspect that DSLRs will eventually be supplanted by mirrorless, but in the same way a rangefinder still existed after SLRs, I think the DSLR S will exist for a long time.

My point of view is that Rangefinder is a unique enough experience in comparison to the SLR/mirrorless that it is 'tolerated' as an object of specialty... whereas DSLR and mirrorless relationship is more of an evolutionary development, as in mirrorless is something that negates all the negativity of the mirror box (cost of production, inaccuracy/tolerance, etc etc) that I think DSLR will turn into a mirrorless, and not really coexist with them....

After shooting at 100 megapixels for a while........ my S007 is now pretty much redundant and spends all its time in the dry box. Unless Leica upgrades its current MF sensor to a MINIMUM OF 60 megawatts on the so called new S008 then it will fail as the competition will be just too strong

Neil

Jesse

I guess that qualifies for another round :) Once it's a bit warmer I'll pop over with my motor bike.

• Like 1