New S 008

nunnzzzz

I've read many posts of people saying they were talking to a rep or a Leica in-the-know person etc and those crystal ball predictions are 99% incorrect.  So, here's mine.  Last weekend a Leica Store employee mentioned the new S will be coming, no mention of when, and no details, he says those that tell him are impressed with it.  We'll see.  110% chance this year, if not then 90% next year.  

Edited by darylgo

What would it have that the S007 does not? OR what would you want it to have? 

Leica was pretty strong in benefits of large pixels and that they are sticking to a pixel size of 6microns, which suggests they will not increase Megapixels. 

What would it have that the S007 does not? OR what would you want it to have? 

I'll take more megapickles if they're offering. The S lenses are well and truly good enough to handle them (except the zoom). But primarily I want...

1. Off centre autofocus.

2. Removal of LENR and longer exposure times.

3. Any improvement I can get in dynamic range.

4. An upgrade to the 30-90 zoom and a 90-180 f4.5-5.6.

Personally I want a mirrorless S although I'd be very happy with an OVF and a clip on EVF as well. For me the SL hardware is wonderful. Just whack a 45x30 sensor in there and I'm good.

Gordon

• Like 4

I'll take more megapickles if they're offering. The S lenses are well and truly good enough to handle them (except the zoom). But primarily I want...

1. Off centre autofocus.

2. Removal of LENR and longer exposure times.

3. Any improvement I can get in dynamic range.

4. An upgrade to the 30-90 zoom and a 90-180 f4.5-5.6.

Personally I want a mirrorless S although I'd be very happy with an OVF and a clip on EVF as well. For me the SL hardware is wonderful. Just whack a 45x30 sensor in there and I'm good.

Gordon

1. EVF - more accurate AF as it is what you see what you get, use at least 4~6million pixel screen in the EVF

2. Phase Detect + Contrast Detect AF on chip

3. I am fine with the DR when I was using 007, but more, why not

4. version 2 for all the S lens and upgrade service for version 1 S lens to Version 2 = linear focus motor that is silent and fast.

5. Better zoom lens and better QC, it is really inconsistent. I have had 2 bad copies of 30-90, never really like its output but love its versatility.

6. Inbody stabilisation and self sensor cleaning technology, of the 3 months using the GFX, 6000 shots later, I have yet find the need to do any cleaning to the sensor! and I change lens a lot and attaching it onto Cambo Actus as well, never really need to clean the sensor at all.

7. short flange design with an adaptor to use normal S lens, so there's no need to create a new line of lens. Please don't go down the path of Sigma with their SD quattros that is mirror-less but has the same flange distance rendering adaptation impossible. But I guess this is not a good thing for Leica S as it wants to sell more S lens than adaptation... a path that Fuji is now taking as well when they make the GF mount language proprietary... so not real digital electronic adaptation...

8. 60~80mega pixel preferably. 37mega pixel is somewhat limiting nowadays as something that you will call 'ultimate in Image Quality' when clearly, it is no longer deserving such honorifics.

9. better QC overall, and please stop using ECO glue... Leica S body peal liked a over ripe mango....

• Like 2

6. Inbody stabilisation and self sensor cleaning technology, of the 3 months using the GFX, 6000 shots later, I have yet find the need to do any cleaning to the sensor! and I change lens a lot and attaching it onto Cambo Actus as well, never really need to clean the sensor at all.

I am with you 100% on this one. And I want automatic Face Recognition/Nearest Eye AF - like you, I've been using the GFX for the past 2-3 months and these two features (plus the OIS on the 120 lens) have made me leave my S007 behind most of the time. I have lost interest in speculating about the features of the 008, whenever such thing may come. If someone offered an adapter to use my S lenses on the GFX; I'd be set for a very long time.

1. EVF - more accurate AF as it is what you see what you get, use at least 4~6million pixel screen in the EVF

I guess tastes differ but if the next S goes EVF then that is it for me: no more S. One of the best things about the S is its fantastic OVF.

• Like 4

I fully subscribe to that point. Cleaning dust on the S is a major mess. That should and could be done a lot better.