M9P Shutter release button sticky/stuck

yeahyoung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9-P returned from Solms less than 2 months ago from a service and today the shutter release button became sticky. 

Symptoms: The button either won't came back at all after being pressed all the way down, or it came back extremely slowly. This happens about 30% of the time, while the other times it works like normal. But metering lock became quite difficult due to its radical/unpredictable behavior. Not to mention that I miss shots from time to time (worst thing that can happen to street shooting). 

I tried to press it repeatedly when camera was off, but it did not solve the problem. 

Since the camera was serviced less than 2 months ago I assume it's still covered. But is it worth to send back to Holms? 

Anyone has similar experience? Anyone tried to solve it on your own (e.g., with a drop of lubricant oil)?

BTW, the release button on my camera was always a bit too harsh/jerky between half-pressed to fully-pressed. I heard the tactile is adjustable. Anyone has adjusted it before? 

Edited by yeahyoung

It is possible that it is caused by sticky grease, although less likely so in your case as the camera was recently serviced. It is actually a simple operation to just unscrew and take out the shutter button unit so that you may examine it more closely. But you will need a flexiclamp (with a 15.9mm diameter), and these seem to be hard to come by. One like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexiclamp-625in-8in-15-9mm-FLB-6/dp/B002QI4Q2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494533399&sr=8-1&keywords=flexiclamp 

For unscrewing the shutter button unit, here is a link to a clip found on Youtube in which an expert works on a somewhat similar problem on the M9M. 

https://youtu.be/BUgRPXT7LBo?list=PL4wLh5VR2NtKGa2tCqPuFd3eeY0UduhXS

Edited by Rus

My M9-P returned from Solms less than 2 months ago from a service and today the shutter release button became sticky. 

Symptoms: The button either won't came back at all after being pressed all the way down, or it came back extremely slowly. This happens about 30% of the time, while the other times it works like normal. But metering lock became quite difficult due to its radical/unpredictable behavior. Not to mention that I miss shots from time to time (worst thing that can happen to street shooting). 

I tried to press it repeatedly when camera was off, but it did not solve the problem. 

Since the camera was serviced less than 2 months ago I assume it's still covered. But is it worth to send back to Holms? 

Anyone has similar experience? Anyone tried to solve it on your own (e.g., with a drop of lubricant oil)?

BTW, the release button on my camera was always a bit too harsh/jerky between half-pressed to fully-pressed. I heard the tactile is adjustable. Anyone has adjusted it before? 

I would send it to Wetzlar if I were you. ;)

By any chance are you using a soft release button?