Is your 24-90 deadlocked?

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Helping my friend set up his new SL at the first time I noticed after you lock in your lens you can still twist your lens very very little, not totally dead locked, since I use adapter to use M lens, can you guys check on yours and give me an feedback on this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lens mount locking mechanism on this and other bayonet lens mounts is a slot on the lens flange and a pin on the lens mount that drops into it. It needs some small amount of clearance for the pin to reliably drop into the slot and fully engage. On a lens as large as the 24-90 with a bayonet diameter as big as the SL's, even 0.00025 inch (a quarter of a thousandth of an inch) will demonstrate some perceptible movement of the lens once locked if you twist it back and forth. 

Smaller, lighter lenses will not seem to have so much play even with the same amount of pin to slot clearance.

• Like 1

If it were truly deadlocked, you would not be able to have it lock in place or if it did, it would be almost impossible to unlock. Mine has almost no play in it and it locks up good and snug as you would expect.