Leica's M camera naming protocol??

Herr Barnack

Except that Leica do not call them that. They call them "S (Typ 006)" and "S (Typ 007)", respectively, which seems to be consistent with the new naming scheme for the M bodies.

Really?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Really?

I'm afraid that I fail to see what your point might be. In your post I responded to, you claimed that there was a number of cameras called by Leica S2, S006 and S007. My reply was that they were called by Leica S2, "S (Typ 006)" and "S (Typ 007)", respectively.

The term "S-System" is used as a generic name, exactly as the  term M-System might used to denote any Leica camera with the M bajonet.

This is how their web team see things... I would say Pop is right !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I consider rather sure is that "S" stands for "Spiegel" the same way as "M" stands for "Messucher"...

About the history of M naming... me too thought that M3 was choosen as "Messucher with 3 frames"... but if it's true that M4 has 4, M2 (previous to M4) had 3 and M1 2... so maybe is correct the speculation that they wanted mostly to give, initially, a message of continuation along the road of "III / 3" for top of line with II/2 and I/1 as models under the top.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I'm not claiming anything; just pointing out that on Leica's webpage, there's no reference to the typ007 designation. It just says S. Similarly, the main M system page refers to the typ designation only in relation to the typ262. No reference to M(240) on the main M page ...

If you click through to the M page, you get the 240 designation, but it's in the fine print, not their headline way of marketing the camera.

Ian found the S007 designation in the detailed web address, but that just reflects Leica's detailed model identification. Now, Pop, you can continue to misrepresent my point if you like (no, I was not saying the designations are meaningless or that there are many cameras with the same designation). I was pointing out that the designation is internal to Leica, and Leica's approach is primarily to sell an S camera and an M camera - that convention seems to have stretched too far with the M(262), but it seems the M(240) is the current manifestation of the M camera.

Reverting to M10, could just be a way for them to dig themselves out of that rather confusing hole. Maybe not, who knows.

.... I was pointing out that the designation is internal to Leica, and Leica's approach is primarily to sell an S camera and an M camera ....

The designation is clearly visible in the data sheet (technical specification). If Leica wants to promote the product family, they use the single letter designation. When they want to talk about one particular model, they mention the designation for that model. The designations are as I mentioned above.