Leica's M camera naming protocol??

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica M10 Could Be Announced January 18, 2017

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/12/leica-m10-jan-18-2017/

So it appears that sometime in January, the M10 will be dropped on the market. 

If that turns out to be true, the model designation progression from the M9P forward will be (admittedly not necessarily in the correct order) -

M Monochrom (18 mp)

M240

M-A

M-P 240

M-D

M typ 262

Monochrom typ 246 (24 mp)

- and next we will (apparently) have the M10. 

Then there's this - if the original naming protocol would have been adhered to, the M10 would have been the M17.  :huh:

I am at a loss to understand why there was the model naming jaunt off into the seven above names.  I also fail to understand why the above M camera naming protocol was not adhered to, but was abandoned in favor of returning to the original naming protocol and naming the next new release the M10.

Does anyone else understand the thinking behind the two changes in the M camera naming protocol? 

So it appears that sometime in January, the M10 will be dropped on the market. 

If that turns out to be true, the model designation progression from the M9P forward will be (admittedly not necessarily in the correct order) -

M Monochrom (18 mp)

M240

M-A

M-P 240

M-D

M typ 262

Monochrom typ 246 (24 mp)

- and next we will (apparently) have the M10. 

Then there's this - if the original naming protocol would have been adhered to, the M10 would have been the M17.  :huh:

I am at a loss to understand why there was the model naming jaunt off into the seven above names.  I also fail to understand why the above M camera naming protocol was not adhered to, but was abandoned in favor of returning to the original naming protocol and naming the next new release the M10.

Does anyone else understand the thinking behind the two changes in the M camera naming protocol? 

Is there any reason that we need to understand? A Rose by any other name...

• Like 4

I do not think Leica has had a coherent strategy in this regard over the last five years.

Or maybe they just want to keep us occupied, just as when god created the banana: This will keep those dimwits occupied for a while.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I do not think Leica has had a coherent strategy in this regard over the last five years.

It wasn't coherent from the start... when Leica I was named Leica A in USA... should have they maintained the original numbering in Roman numbers... well I think that the next M ought to be probably named almost exactly Leica L :) ...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I think this kind of discussion would be more useful if we actually knew whether there really was to be a new M type camera, and what its name would actually be.

For me it doesn't matter what they call the camera, as long as M appears somewhere...

Regarding naming convention, look to IKEA for some splendid ideas... bookcases with names normally associated with humans. Imagine the next M (if and when it arrives) called Hermann (or Herrmann)!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Imagine the next M (if and when it arrives) called Hermann (or Herrmann)!

My Three Legged Thing tripod is called Albert; yes, really, that's how they name their models. The one before that was called Brian....

That link is a very odd one and a rumour quoting someone else's rumour! How strange to talk about a successor to the M9, ignoring all of the M cameras since. Just about that rumoured name going back to their old naming convention I guess. That wasn't strictly just a sequence from the start of course and variations using the same name differentiated by an extra letter or just by a separate model number  or Typ or even just unofficial additions have been used for a long time.

In the M series first there was the M3. Then the M2. Then the M4.  (Ignoring the "MD" type specialized M's). Then the M5. Then the M4-2. The "4" was followed by the "6". So who knows. We're lucky we're where we are today. The Edsel of Leicas - the ill-fated M5 - darn near doomed the entire line.

I remember reading when the M was released that Leica dropped the numbers because they could update the M body as new technology became available. Thus a 2017 M would have the latest advances when compared to a 2015 M. Probably an engineering concept that marketing vetoed as soon as they heard about it.

When in the past Leica have been asked about the possible (foreseeable) confusions in their 'new' naming policy (M240, etc.) have said it would all be fine and they knew what they were doing. So should the next camera be called the M10 the question is what about the one after that? I vote for the M102mm3, followed by maybe an M101a , then the M103m-d2, and before you know it there will be a camera range back on track and happy we all know what the numbering means, except the public won't, but who cares about them?

• Like 1