X Vario discontinued and dropped from line

mikeodial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Eventhough, I am one of those who just purchased an X Vario at a bargain price ($675 USD), my hunch is that the T makes the continued development of the X line completely unnecessary.

The X Vario and D Lux 109 is effectively duplicated by the T and the 18-56; the X2, XE, and X typ 113 is supplanted by the T and 23 mm.

I would suspect that the "T2" is going to have a built in EVF, more megapixels, a superior auto focus system. Leica has already shown us the roadmap with the Q, so we know what is probable.  The T line should be able to be everything for everyone on the prosumer level, and it makes no sense to continue the X line. Perhaps, even, the touch screen will become more of a hybrid system so that the T2 has more cross appeal to the old X users.

Anyhow, that's how I would see development by Leica.

Wow I thought I had a bargain at $1,000 with an EVF and case. Seems the prices are dropping fast ... 

Wow I thought I had a bargain at $1,000 with an EVF and case. Seems the prices are dropping fast ... 

No, I think the market value is probably closer to your price than mine. Mine was exceptional; just could not pass it up at that price!

• 3 weeks later...

The Vario was mismarketed by Leica from the original campaign describing it as a "mini M" and the outrage at the slow lens which followed. It's a great camera and I haven't been tempted by the T or other choices. The straight forward simple controls on the Vario are excellent. I got mine for about 1/2 the list price and with an Olympus EVF as opposed to the more expensive Leica one (and probably less now) I was glad to jump to this. My Vario has largely taken over from my bulky Nikon DSLR gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A misguided launch darkened the X Vario's hopes of a deserved welcome into the Leica portfolio. Dampened demand discouraged Leica from considering its further development. So there are bargains to be had by those who recognize the X Vario's merits. I am sorry the concept has been shortlived because there is nothing like it left in the Leica line-up. The same could be said for the core X-line. An update X1 would tempt me; meanwhile I continue to enjoy both my X1 and X Vario.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up an open box XV last week for a $500 discount. I decided to go for it when I heard about it being discontinued. Still getting used to it, but the photos are great! I'm just trying to figure out if I should get the Leica spare battery or go third party.

Well done! You saved on list price, so why penny-pinch on a spare battery. Much depends on your planned usage. For travel photography and proven reliable spare is a sound investment. No lost pictures which might well be unrepeatable.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to this recent interview looks like my beloved X Vario is destined to be a collectors item as there is no path forward for Leica. 

http://www.infofotografi.com/blog/2016/10/wawancara-dengan-dr-andreas-kauffman-dan-stefan-schulz-leica/ 

After testing a whole day the XV under expert guidance of Leica, I bought a used MATE 4.0-28-35-50mm for my already existing digital M and analog M.
In the long term, certainly the better decision.

I bought and sold a X Vario twice.

I think its a great camera, but the flexibility of the T, the better viewfinder and the faster AF made me decide for the T instead.

I believe both systems and the dx based cameras overall are underrated.

It is a very good compromise between price, size and IQ:

I picked up an open box XV last week for a $500 discount. I decided to go for it when I heard about it being discontinued. Still getting used to it, but the photos are great! I'm just trying to figure out if I should get the Leica spare battery or go third party.

The Vario is a fine camera. The only thing that's wrong with it is that Leica doesn't seem willing to provide us with a final, definitive firmware update, that would make it an excellent camera. See my signature.

I'm having no trouble at all with a third party battery in the X Vario. 

While I think we are all flogging a dead horse, software updates wise, it remains my wish too.

One more update, make it a bit faster, etc. Reality is though, it's an old camera. I absolutely love mine, have many many fond memories and lots of wonderful images. Having said that many of your requests are feasible I think with a firmware update. I can also appreciate Leica not getting behind this, I suspect they have moved on and are now concentrating on the later/latest cameras. This is where Fuji set themselves apart, even the old (older than the X-Vario too) X-Pro1 gets updates, still. It has proved a point of difference for the Fuji loyal.

It has of late been sidelined due to a new addition, the X-Pro2. Different cameras, but similar.

Gary

• Like 2

• 2 months later...