Leica repair wait times

jsl757

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not that lucky. I sent my camera + few lenses for multiple issues in Oct. After 4 weeks they gave me repair estimate and asked for authorization. After another one month I lost my patience and called them. It took me three days to get someone to speak to me. Turned out that they had done *nothing* !! I am going on vacation next week and I was so mad. The lady (Roxana) I spoke to was very polite and listen to my painful story and promised me that I will have the camera and lens by this weekend.

I also learned how to get in touch with them. emails are useless since some people reply and some don't. I dial the main number, go to main line and ask for specific people. I made a mistake of dialing for repair department which is like a black hole. Call getting dropped after holding for long time, nobody returns voicemail.... but hopefully in next couple of days I will see my camera/

I also learned how to get in touch with them. emails are useless since some people reply and some don't. I dial the main number, go to main line and ask for specific people. I made a mistake of dialing for repair department which is like a black hole. Call getting dropped after holding for long time, nobody returns voicemail.... but hopefully in next couple of days I will see my camera/

Indeed.  Better yet, get to know a reliable person (and personal phone contact number) and thereafter call that person before sending in any gear to determine service dept workload, turnaround estimate, etc.  Then mail your gear directly to that person and have him/her be the contact throughout the transaction.....status updates, etc.  

I've been using this approach with the same individual for over 10 years.

Jeff

Just for reference I sent my Leica T in for service due to cracked plastic over the the screen (the screen itself was fine this was mostly a cosmetic issue). That was sometime after I got back from traveling this summer. 

I posted back on Sept 23rd that it had been in for repair "quite some time". I just checked today and I still have no idea when it will come back. Right now I'm hoping that it will be back in time for early February wildflower season down in Death Valley and Trekking in Nepal in March. 

Just for reference I sent my Leica T in for service due to cracked plastic over the the screen (the screen itself was fine this was mostly a cosmetic issue). That was sometime after I got back from traveling this summer.

I posted back on Sept 23rd that it had been in for repair "quite some time". I just checked today and I still have no idea when it will come back. Right now I'm hoping that it will be back in time for early February wildflower season down in Death Valley and Trekking in Nepal in March.

Good luck. As for DV flowers, it was a rare event this year due to unusual heavy rain in earlier months. They don't call it Death Valley for nothing. Not sure how much bloom will be next year. Better to check. Btw, this place is beautiful as it is.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/wildlowers-2016.htm

Edited by jmahto

I sent my 50 Summilux FLE into New Jersey on 11/18/16 (UPS standard) and just received it today!  

It went in for a loose mount and I asked if it could be made to focus smoother without the FLE bump.  Back today and its focus is smooth and silky and the mount is solid.  

I'm impressed with 3 1/2 weeks including shipping times and holiday(Thanksgiving).

Rick

I've been sending stuff to NJ for years.  I can't remember anything taking longer than 6 weeks.  Here is what I do.

1)  Send it in with instructions in box.

2)  About a week later call Roxana (800) 222-0118 ext. 9931

3)  Check on lens and get estimate of when it will ship

4)  Call in 2 weeks

5)  Call in 2 weeks

6)  Answer door bell   :)

Rick

I've been sending stuff to NJ for years. I can't remember anything taking longer than 6 weeks. Here is what I do.

1) Send it in with instructions in box.

2) About a week later call Roxana (800) 222-0118 ext. 9931

3) Check on lens and get estimate of when it will ship

4) Call in 2 weeks

5) Call in 2 weeks

6) Answer door bell :)

Rick

I am also waiting for Roxana to do some magic. Will report by Monday.

I go via my dealer, they hustle on my behalf. A great crew, Lecuit.lu if you are in the area.

My dealer closed shop after 30 years in business couple of months ago. Keeble and schuatt in Palo Alto. Great shop that could not survive online age. I blame all the people who used it as a free demo shop. :(

• Like 1

And here is the first shot of my Christmas tree. 50 Lux, wide open, hand held, very dim indoor light. :)

Happy Holidays.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Unfortunately this seems to be normal with Leica, New Jersey.  In my dealings with them it became clear that there is no real repair tracking system.  They first assign a repair order number which goes into their system and is used to track your repair.  Next is a repair note which contains the assessment of needed repairs and (I assume) requires an authorization to proceed if costs are involved.  These are received by the customer via email. After that the item disappears into a black hole - (seriously) - by that I mean that no more information regarding the repair is available in their system until repairs are completed at the item is ready to be shipped back.  So if you call Customer Care to inquire as to the status of your repair they can tell you if it has been assigned a repair order number, if it has been assessed for needed repairs, or that it is on its way back to you.  Beyond that they have no information.  So if you want to know how long your repair will take all they can quote is the typical time for such repairs.  They can't tell you if it is currently on the repair bench (unless they leave their desk and go talk to the technician).  They don't know if your repair is next in line or if there are 20 others ahead of you and they have no way of finding out.  My impression is the Customer Care folk are very busy responding to customers whose questions they can answer.  The questions they can't answer seem to get ignored.

Unlike automobile dealer service centers, which are profit centers and often generate more revenue than the sales department, factory camera repair centers are overhead expense.  Overhead costs are something that managers are highly incentivized to keep at a minimum.  So they are often minimally staffed and poorly supported.

I agree. But I must give someone in their repair department credit. After a few months waiting, I sent several emails to Leica repair explaining that I needed my Monochrom by a certain date for a Ralph Gibson workshop and sure enough, my Monochrom arrived about a week before the workshop.

It is frustrating but clearly they are understaffed. A customer care person who can monitor a status board and respond to status inquires would be appreciated. Are you listening Leica?

• 3 weeks later...

I sent my MP240 to Leica in New Jersey 4 weeks ago for a focusing issue and haven't heard back yet. I called and left a message a few days ago but never received a call back and today I was put on hold for 10 min just to leave another message. Is this normal for them? Does anybody know how long repairs usually take? 

Thanks in advance.

Yes, normal. Just hope you get it back with anything done to it.

I'm hoping Leica make a 'bucket' of money from the upcoming M10 (11, 12 or whatever it's called) allowing them to employ more staff in the repair section. It would enhance the company's reputation no end if they could at least half the turn around time for repairs. Of course they would also need a stock of parts as well, so some of the income would need to go in that direction.

Last time I sent something to Leica in NJ (my 50mm Summilux ASPH) it took the 6 months to repair it and send it back. 

More recently I was going to send my M-P in for a rangefinder adjustment (under warranty) and I was told that I was better off to pay a local repair shop to do the work, since Leica had switched to some new software that was causing a massive backlog (how, I do not know). I got the local shot to do it and had the camera back in two days. 

They don't seem to have this service in the USA, or at least it's never been offered to me as a working photographer. 

I work within an hour of the NJ Leica service center and in the past when I had issues with new lens not focusing correctly on my M bodies, I would hand deliver to them and they would send them back 3-4 weeks later.

Since I visit my family in Los Angeles several times a year, if I can wait, I take any piece of equipment that needs to be adjusted to Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City.  I call ahead to make sure he is not on holiday, explaining that I would be there for only several days.  I drop it off in the morning and usually, he has the rangefinder or lenses adjusted by 4 pm the same day.

Unfortunately this seems to be normal with Leica, New Jersey. In my dealings with them it became clear that there is no real repair tracking system. They first assign a repair order number which goes into their system and is used to track your repair. Next is a repair note which contains the assessment of needed repairs and (I assume) requires an authorization to proceed if costs are involved. These are received by the customer via email. After that the item disappears into a black hole - (seriously) - by that I mean that no more information regarding the repair is available in their system until repairs are completed at the item is ready to be shipped back. So if you call Customer Care to inquire as to the status of your repair they can tell you if it has been assigned a repair order number, if it has been assessed for needed repairs, or that it is on its way back to you. Beyond that they have no information. So if you want to know how long your repair will take all they can quote is the typical time for such repairs. They can't tell you if it is currently on the repair bench (unless they leave their desk and go talk to the technician). They don't know if your repair is next in line or if there are 20 others ahead of you and they have no way of finding out. My impression is the Customer Care folk are very busy responding to customers whose questions they can answer. The questions they can't answer seem to get ignored.

Unlike automobile dealer service centers, which are profit centers and often generate more revenue than the sales department, factory camera repair centers are overhead expense. Overhead costs are something that managers are highly incentivized to keep at a minimum. So they are often minimally staffed and poorly supported.

I am afraid that this probably true everywhere apart from Wetzlar where service at the HQ is exceptional. London is an issue too. If it is possible to deal directly with Germany action is what you would expect from a prestigious organisation. They need to roll it out worldwide. When I read the forums this seems to have been the story for several years. This is where Fujifilm excels at every level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work within an hour of the NJ Leica service center and in the past when I had issues with new lens not focusing correctly on my M bodies, I would hand deliver to them and they would send them back 3-4 weeks later.

Since I visit my family in Los Angeles several times a year, if I can wait, I take any piece of equipment that needs to be adjusted to Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City.  I call ahead to make sure he is not on holiday, explaining that I would be there for only several days.  I drop it off in the morning and usually, he has the rangefinder or lenses adjusted by 4 pm the same day.

His shop is about 10 minutes from my home, so I take my cameras to him for most things. He's good for some things but not great for others for instance I brought my M-P in for rangefinder calibration (because NJ said it would take them 6-8 weeks, yes, really) and it came back with the vertical alignment somehow off. I had him redo it a couple of times before finally I had him adjust it, hand it to me to check and then adjust it again based on what I was seeing because he couldn't see that it was out of alignment. He also can't/won't adjust certain lenses like my 50mm Summarit f/2.5, he told me I should just stop down when it was back-focussing. Generally he's very good though, if a little pricey.