Help me disable this video function!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

so, is there a way to turn video off completely with the Q, disable the video button like you can with the M240?

It's very frustration to find that you've accidentally shot a movie when all you wanted to do is take a still.

as written before…

1. Set Mode lock Photo/Video" to "on"

2. Don't choose the video mode display

… and the video button doesn't work any more.

• Like 1

Good info here!

My preference, now that I've read through this:

Mode Lock "Off" - this prevents the Shutter Button from starting a Video no matter what the Display Mode is.  For me, it is less likely that I'll accidentally hit the video button (I hope!).

Play mode setup  /  Group display mode  / "Off" - that way I don't see anything when I press play that makes me think photos are a video.

Thanks all - that first setting and interactions with the Shutter Button and Video was not obvious at all.

• Like 1

Thank you Mazeppa for that…..

It's a little bit non-intuitive so that's probably why I've never been able to retain that option in my memory, but it works and now the video button doesn't work…..great!

I don't understand Nº2, "Don't choose the video mode display", where is that option? Anyway maybe I should just ignore that as my main gripe has been solved.

Press the center button in the 4-way controller.  That changes the display mode.  One of the display modes is "video".  When in video mode the display switches from a 3:2 to a 16:9 aspect ratio and video becomes enabled.  People often find out about the display modes when they accidentally hit the center button and then wonder why things aren't working the way they want.

Keep hitting the center button until you get to the display mode you want.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 1

The function of the Mode Lock Photo/Video depends on the display mode!

To change the display mode, press the Display Button and you can toggle the display on the monitor/viewfinder between three different photo display modes and one video display mode:

The available display modes are:

1. Display Mode with no indicators on the monitor image (photo mode) -> 2. Display mode with indicators on the lower edge of the monitor image (photo mode) -> 3. Display mode with indicators on the upper and lower edge of the monitor image (photo mode) -> 4. Video Display Mode (video mode) -> 1. ...

When you lock the Photo/Video mode ("on"), you can´t take photos if you choose the video mode display (mode 4) and you can´t make a video if you choose one of the three photo display modes (mode 1, 2, 3). With the video mode display (mode 4), the video button and the shutter release button work as video button. With one of the three photo display modes (mode 1,2,3), the video button has no function.

When you unlock the Photo/Video mode ("off"), you can take photos and make videos in every display mode (mode 1,2,3,4), photos with the shutter release button and videos with the video button.

There is no generell video ON/OFF button. You only can decide, if video (the video button) works in the three photo display modes or not.

Hope this helps...

• Like 2

To change the display mode, press the Display Button and you can toggle the display on the monitor/viewfinder between three different photo display modes and one video display mode:

1. Display Mode with no indicators on the monitor image (photo mode) -> 2. Display mode with indicators on the lower edge of the monitor image (photo mode) -> 3. Display mode with indicators on the upper and lower edge of the monitor image (photo mode) -> 4. Video Display Mode (video mode) -> 1. ...

When you lock the Photo/Video mode ("on"), you can´t take photos if you choose the video mode display (mode 4) and you can´t make a video if you choose one of the three photo display modes (mode 1, 2, 3). With the video mode display (mode 4), the video button and the shutter release button work as video button. With one of the three photo display modes (mode 1,2,3), the video button has no function.

When you unlock the Photo/Video mode ("off"), you can take photos and make videos in every display mode (mode 1,2,3,4), photos with the shutter release button and videos with the video button.

There is no generell video ON/OFF button. You only can decide, if video (the video button) works in the three photo display modes or not.

Hope this helps...

Your explanations are gems. I wish we had a “Read First - New to Q” thread that all the great explanations and discoveries could be collected.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

you see proper video button (disable via menu) is way better than this mess

Leica CL and Q2 biggest flaw. A deal breaker for me. I am keeping the Q with its superior video button. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, nicci78 said:

you see proper video button (disable via menu) is way better than this mess

Leica CL and Q2 biggest flaw. A deal breaker for me. I am keeping the Q with its superior video button. 

People have different needs/wants. I would prefer it there was no video on any Q as I will never use it. I have the original Q and passionately hate that video button - even if it can be disabled I hate it being there because it messes up the minimilist/simplistic camera which is one of the 2 key selling points of Leica Q for me - that and the amazing lens). Maybe if Leica made it possible to re-purpose that button for some other function it would not bother me so much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tgdinamo said:

People have different needs/wants. I would prefer it there was no video on any Q as I will never use it. I have the original Q and passionately hate that video button - even if it can be disabled I hate it being there because it messes up the minimilist/simplistic camera which is one of the 2 key selling points of Leica Q for me - that and the amazing lens). Maybe if Leica made it possible to re-purpose that button for some other function it would not bother me so much.

Guess what a mirrorless such as the Q is a video camera that takes photos.... 

because live view stream is video ! 

There is no frontier between photos and video. You can (and should) do both. 

Sometimes a scene is better in b&w or in colour. 

Sometimes a scene is better in photo or in video. 

You can restrict yourself or embrace the choice. 

I do both and need video for small quality clips. 

I would hate to give up Leica for that missing video button. I already sold the M10 for lack of video. Thought that it was not a big deal, but in the end I would have loved to film with the M10. 

If you do not need video, you can dismiss it. But if you put it away, video guys would have no choice but to walk away from it. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

But if you put it away, video guys would have no choice but to walk away from it. 

And there would be nothing wrong with video guys walking away and selecting another camera that does photo/video (plenty of better options available for those who like that), rather than Leica screwing up ergonomics for the majority of Q users who probably never shoot video (that's a guess but I doubt I'm wrong based on what I've been reading on the forums, as well as most Leica Q reviews completely skip video or barely mention it and if they do usually dismiss it as irrelevant).

17 minutes ago, SonomaBear said:

I believe that the only videos I have shot with my Q were accidental and really pissed me off.

I wish we could repurpose it for something useful for stills.

Same here

19 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Same here

Leica could re-purpose that screen so instead of a video display we would see the zoomed (cropped) display. No extra around the sides. It would show up in whatever jpg settings we’ve chosen for instance monochrome. They could call it the jpg zoomed display. I wish!!! 

Numerous functions they could re-purpose the Q video button to.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2016 at 9:25 AM, Leica Guy said:

I believe selecting Mode Lock Video / Photo to off will disable the shutter button starting a video. That's how my camera is set up and I have never experienced inadvertent starting of a video as discussed in this thread.

I also agree that documentation by Leica is poor. Still, I LOVE the Q quirks and all.

this feature is driving me crazy (perhaps a short trip?).  I've been shutting the camera down, pulling the battery and reversing this process - and half the time I'm still shooting videos.  Argh!!!!!!!!!!!  And the manual?  Good luck solving this via that route.  I'm still not sure what's happening.  Except my plans to add and m10-p are now on the back burner.  my gorgeous q-p has turned into a frustrating nightmare.

afterthought (and an expensive one):  a friend told me I should accelerate purchasing an m10 as it will not shoot video.  talk about a hell of a reason to buy an $8k camera.  sad face.

Edited by DaleG

26 minutes ago, DaleG said:

this feature is driving me crazy (perhaps a short trip?).  I've been shutting the camera down, pulling the battery and reversing this process - and half the time I'm still shooting videos.  Argh!!!!!!!!!!!  And the manual?  Good luck solving this via that route.  I'm still not sure what's happening.  Except my plans to add and m10-p are now on the back burner.  my gorgeous q-p has turned into a frustrating nightmare.

Just cycle the display using the center button on the rear to get out of video. Then when you push the shutter button, you’ll take stills. Honestly, it’s not that big of an issue once you understand that. It very rarely pops into view for me. Just keep the display out of video display. I wish I could lock it out, but that’s not possible. You should never have to pull the battery for such a problem. 

12 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Just cycle the display using the center button on the rear to get out of video. Then when you push the shutter button, you’ll take stills. Honestly, it’s not that big of an issue once you understand that. It very rarely pops into view for me. Just keep the display out of video display. I wish I could lock it out, but that’s not possible. You should never have to pull the battery for such a problem. 

Thanks for your quick reply.  this battle has been in progress for several weeks.  Leica's manual, for me, was little help.  the first time this happened, at a shoot in front of clients, I was ready to hurl the Q against a stone wall.  it was that frustrating.  and Leica claims to have "simplified" the experience?  argh.  another question - can't someone publish a Guide for the Q that isn't written by Overgaard (don't ask, not buying from him)?

Edited by DaleG

On 3/11/2018 at 5:00 AM, jmschuh said:

Hope this helps...

good explanation - but you forgot to mention how to "unlock the Photo/Video mode" (turn it off).  for the record, it's done via main menu -> customize control (p.3) -> Mode Lock Photo/Video -> OFF. 

not exactly intuitively obvious.  phew.

• Thanks 1