Help me disable this video function!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, DaleG said:

Thanks for your quick reply.  this battle has been in progress for several weeks.  Leica's manual, for me, was little help.  the first time this happened, at a shoot in front of clients, I was ready to hurl the Q against a stone wall.  it was that frustrating.  and Leica claims to have "simplified" the experience?  argh.  another question - can't someone publish a Guide for the Q that isn't written by Overgaard (don't ask, not buying from him)?

DaleG. I confess that I’ve never read the manual except occasional specific page or two. I mostly learn from reading a lot, trying different things and occasionally soliciting help here. That’s served me well. I do believe the manual is inadequate and confusing or not clear enough at times.

Hang in there. Hopefully you’ll come to like the Q like many of us have. Of course I’m a Qool-Aid drinker so I tend to exaggerate the positives and minimize the negative aspects of the camera. 

thanks for the kind words. appreciated. it is hard to believe that nobody has published a reasonable guide or manual. the images from the Q are compelling. that alone will carry me through most frustrations. hopefully, few will be as embarrassing as being unable to take a photograph rather than a video. the thought of the impression that created (on my client's personnel) is haunting. I'm not looking forward to any repeat of such. I am also much too stubborn to give up on the Q - though I must confess to a few second thoughts. then my weisenheimmer friend advised me to buy an m10-q - because it doesn't shoot videos. yep. almost funny.

Edited by DaleG

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:39 PM, Guest said:

There should be away to disable the video........ it happened to me the other day, very frustrating 

It’s happened to all of us at some time. We would prefer a way to turn off video. Unfortunately, Leica in their infinite wisdom seems to ignore our whining. That’s unfortunate. Just cycle the center button away from the video display and keep taking great photos. Maybe someday the Leica gods will listen. I’m not optimistic. 

• Like 2

This thread really highlights the fact that Leica is not a software product company. This is a basic usability issue that could be easily solved via a software update. As long as they don't invest in software produce managers or software engineers with an once of consumer mindset, we'll end up with aberration like this one. And many others. 

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just gone through the "how the hell do you disable the video button" again having not picked up the Q for a while then found myself taking a mess of videos rather than the still images I wanted! Really really opaque and frustrating the dance you have to go through to disable the damn thing, I was almost set to super-glue the video button to freeze it but then remembered this link and thanks to you all I now have a non-functioning video button............But I haven't completely shelved the super-glue thought yet.

Thanks everyone..............and Leica, what the hell were you thinking ?

Am 12.9.2019 um 23:23 schrieb Leica Guy:

Of course I’m a Qool-Aid drinker so I tend to exaggerate the positives and minimize the negative aspects of the camera. 

That applies also to me.
I am fine how the Q2 works and i adapt and learn about the way she works and be happy about thet little gem.

Chris

• Like 1

I've mentioned it elsewhere, for me the worst aspect of the Q2 is the lack of a video button. I shoot a mixture of video & stills, often (eg at concerts) switching between the two very quickly while holding the camera at arms length, and I never once in 5 years with the Q shot the wrong thing. Now I have to keep diving into the menu to change the mode, it isn't obvious what mode it is in (I am very long sighted so the screen is a bit of a blur) and I have repeatedly been in the wrong mode. I upgraded from the Q to the Q2 mail order during the lockdown, I would never have done it if I had realised there was no video button on the Q2. While the Q2 has some advantages, the interface is an absolute pig compared to the Q.

vor 18 Stunden schrieb AndrewDD:

Now I have to keep diving into the menu to change the mode

I switch mode by pressing the Menu button and "click" on the Video button on the Menu main screen, but maybe i have a special version of SW3.0
Not really sooo different than pressin a video rec button, or am i wrong?

vor 18 Stunden schrieb AndrewDD:

it isn't obvious what mode it is in (I am very long sighted so the screen is a bit of a blur) and I have repeatedly been in the wrong mode.

I would suggest glasses or contacts with the right correction or bifocals to avoid this problem.....

Maybe i am Mr. Practical Solutions, but honestly i don't see the problem you have as a reason to bash Leica for that.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

On 1/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, PhotoCruiser said:

I switch mode by pressing the Menu button and "click" on the Video button on the Menu main screen, but maybe i have a special version of SW3.0
Not really sooo different than pressin a video rec button, or am i wrong?

I would suggest glasses or contacts with the right correction or bifocals to avoid this problem.....

Maybe i am Mr. Practical Solutions, but honestly i don't see the problem you have as a reason to bash Leica for that.

Chris

Yes. Completely different. Not quick, instant, with one hand. Fiddly, and slow. Try doing it with the camera held about your head in a crowd, or repeatedly when working with performers on a stage.

So now I'm supposed to wear special glasses because Leica removed a simple to use button?

Not practical solutions. The practical solution was a video button which so many people whined about because, apparently, having a button on a camera which they don't use is sooooo offensive to their sensibilities.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb AndrewDD:

Yes. Completely different. Not quick, instant, with one hand. Fiddly, and slow. Try doing it with the camera held about your head in a crowd, or repeatedly when working with performers on a stage.

If i need a camera for a special task - like overhead recording in a crowd - the i choose a camera who is doing things how i would like/used to do it,
and this would include a orientable monitor to see from below what i am doing and where the camera points at.
However, the Q2 don't have a video button and so a solution/workaround for this "problem" must be found
If i could/want not find the right camera for my video needs i would get used to use two thumbs, one to press the menu button and the other to press the video button.
The probably better solution ist to swipe the screen to right to switch to video mode and press the shutter button to start and stop video recording.

There is no globally perfect camera for everybody's use, each camera has it's pros and cons and we have to adapt to her.
I have to admit that it would be less time consuming and less bad photos if the Q2 would have a Nikon D800 style menue and button layout,
but adapting to a new camera is part of the game when buying a new camera, particularly using the wrong camera for a particular task.

It is true that Leica could have left the record button where he was before and that the record button would make recording video faster and easy to fnd in the dark,
but i guess that there is a important - and for us unknown - reason for that they eliminated it.

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 1:24 AM, Leica Guy said:

You can recover the images if you've not written over them. Multiple SW packages available to do this. I did this back in 2012 and recovered images. I don't have a good name of a program now. Search the web.

Image-Rescue-5_Lexar.app that is what I have relied on for awhiles now.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:10 AM, DaleG said:

thanks for the kind words. appreciated. it is hard to believe that nobody has published a reasonable guide or manual. the images from the Q are compelling. that alone will carry me through most frustrations. hopefully, few will be as embarrassing as being unable to take a photograph rather than a video. the thought of the impression that created (on my client's personnel) is haunting. I'm not looking forward to any repeat of such. I am also much too stubborn to give up on the Q - though I must confess to a few second thoughts. then my weisenheimmer friend advised me to buy an m10-q - because it doesn't shoot videos. yep. almost funny.

almost

• 11 months later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:57 PM, SonomaBear said:

Found an answer... But not happy.

When NOT in play mode, the "set" button selects from four displays...

One of them puts you into video mode!

If you thought you disabled video and the Q is stuck in video mode, press the "set" button!

Well, it fixed my Q...

(same if using extended EVF)

Leica: give us documentation! OK, do it in German and Google will translate into local languages. To not document is not acceptable!

Thank you! This happened to me today for the 1st time, and I didn't want it to be in video mode. My attempt to get out of the video mode by pressing the video button was fruitless. Frustrated as hell. 

Getting into the video mode by setting how you view the backscreen makes no sense to me. 

I'm glad the solution above from 6 years ago still works today.

Edited by CatWorthy
improve clarity