Help me disable this video function!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am so frustrated with this danged video. I can not turn it off! The LCD shows a dimmed "video" light ready to turn red. Under the r in "Wetzlar" is a video icon. "Mode lock Photo/Video" is "on"

I want video to just go away! Same if it is "off"

I was shooting something this afternoon and the damned video kept coming on. Had to get the shot on iPhone!

THIS IS A BUG in my mind. How do I disable video?

How about instructions? Geez.....

• Like 1

Found an answer... But not happy.

When NOT in play mode, the "set" button selects from four displays...

One of them puts you into video mode!

If you thought you disabled video and the Q is stuck in video mode, press the "set" button!

Well, it fixed my Q...

(same if using extended EVF)

Leica: give us documentation! OK, do it in German and Google will translate into local languages. To not document is not acceptable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest jvansmit

I am so frustrated with this danged video. I can not turn it off! The LCD shows a dimmed "video" light ready to turn red. Under the r in "Wetzlar" is a video icon. "Mode lock Photo/Video" is "on"

I want video to just go away! Same if it is "off"

I was shooting something this afternoon and the damned video kept coming on. Had to get the shot on iPhone!

THIS IS A BUG in my mind. How do I disable video?

How about instructions? Geez.....

you can't disable video; you can only disable the video button.

Of the four LCD live view display modes, only one of them enables video when the video button is disabled so you need to cycle through to one of the other live view screens by pressing the centre controller button.

If find it annoying too as a video starts when the shutter is pressed if you're in the display mode that enables video.

Found an answer... But not happy.

When NOT in play mode, the "set" button selects from four displays...

One of them puts you into video mode!

If you thought you disabled video and the Q is stuck in video mode, press the "set" button!

Well, it fixed my Q...

(same if using extended EVF)

Leica: give us documentation! OK, do it in German and Google will translate into local languages. To not document is not acceptable!

I am having the same problem. Very annoying. Thanks for the solution. I hope Leica will fix this in the next firmware update.

• 5 months later...

Same problem here and I found other threads with the same complaints. I don't want the set button to cycle into video mode. That's what the red button at the top is for.

Umpteen times I end up taking a video instead of a still photo. Leica please remove that. It is a leica not a Panasonic video camera.

I believe selecting Mode Lock Video / Photo to off will disable the shutter button starting a video. That's how my camera is set up and I have never experienced inadvertent starting of a video as discussed in this thread.

I also agree that documentation by Leica is poor. Still, I LOVE the Q quirks and all.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mode lock off = Video starts when pressing the video button on top.

Mode lock on = Video starts when pressing the shutter. If you are in video mode (2 press on the set button).

None of the options are ideal in my opinion. Both can be triggered by accident when shooting. There should be a "Video disabled" option like on the M240. 

Edited by matlep
  • Like 2

.............. selecting Mode Lock Video / Photo to off ................. and I have never experienced inadvertent starting of a video as discussed in this thread.

You will :D . It's just a matter of time. I thought my Q was faulty. One occasion I was annoyed because it occured at a "decisive moment"! With your Mode Lock Video/Photo "Off", now push the button at the center of your up/down/left/right selector. You will see you cycle through a few screens. One of them is video. When you're on that screen, press your shutter button. Now push it a second time. You've just taken a movie :p

There is no way to disable this function. I thought my Q was faulty and reset it 3 times whilst away in Nepal, not having the manual with me. Now I understand that the fault was with me and not the camera.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

You will :D . It's just a matter of time. I thought my Q was faulty. One occasion I was annoyed because it occured at a "decisive moment"! With your Mode Lock Video/Photo "Off", now push the button at the center of your up/down/left/right selector. You will see you cycle through a few screens. One of them is video. When you're on that screen, press your shutter button. Now push it a second time. You've just taken a movie :p

There is no way to disable this function. I thought my Q was faulty and reset it 3 times whilst away in Nepal, not having the manual with me. Now I understand that the fault was with me and not the camera.

Pete

Wow. That sounds very frustrating. I would not be happy if I missed an important shot because of it.

I tried repeatedly to make mine operate as you describe and cannot repeat your video capture. At all. Nothing unless I push the video button with the Mode Lock set to off. Maybe it's a bug lurking to reach out and grab us at inopportune times.

I'll continue to look for this. Good luck. Do you have the latest SW or an earlier version?

I think I found out what is going on here.

Mistakenly switched to c mode and shot multiple frames.

Then I select play to view the image (s).

It shows a play button on the display which is the icon for video. However it is just a roll of multiple shots playing in sequence.

The red herring here is the video play icon which made me think it is a video.

In conclusion: Too easy to switch into c mode , especially with gloves on.

Icon for a sequence of shots should not default to video mode and should not be a video play button because it is not a video. The video play button is misleading.

Of course I missed the fireworks shots tonight because again I thought I had taken a video and deleted the "video" (which was a sequence of shots wrapped in a video play button) but again in delete mode it allows you to delete a sequence of shots as a single file (even more so giving you the impression you just took a video)

Edited by DrQ

It shows a play button on the display which is the icon for video. However it is just a roll of multiple shots playing in sequence.

Icon for a sequence of shots should not default to video mode and should not be a video play button because it is not a video. The video play button is misleading.

Of course I missed the fireworks shots tonight because again I thought I had taken a video and deleted the "video" (which was a sequence of shots wrapped in a video play button) but again in delete mode it allows you to delete a sequence of shots as a single file (even more so giving you the impression you just took a video)

Play mode setup -> Group display mode -> off 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot follow what you're doing. When I shoot in C mode I get multiple images all with distinct file names. I never see a play symbol on the display associated with them. If I hit the video button it makes a video. When I hit the okay button I see a play symbol on the screen. I do not see that when I look back at previous images take during "C" operation.

I'm missing something basic. Sorry. Help me understand. Thanks.

Same thing just happened to me, over Christmas I had a group of family and friends all lined up with a fantastic scenic back drop and the Q goes into video each time I press the shutter ! I missed a whole number of not to be repeated chances and could not work out what was wrong with the camera.

Luckily I had brought along my Hasselblad Xpan as I had not used it for a bit but as the light dropped it too could not record much more so came back very annoyed.

Thanks for the advice I now know what is happening but would dearly love to turn the video right off.

• 1 year later...

Same for me video off completely button would be great.

so, is there a way to turn video off completely with the Q, disable the video button like you can with the M240?

It's very frustration to find that you've accidentally shot a movie when all you wanted to do is take a still.