Leica M6 Rangefinder / Focus Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, new Leica owner here. Hopefully this topic hasn't been covered too many times. I did some research and could not find any threads related to this issue. I acquired a 1988 Leica M6 Classic a few months ago. The camera is in really good shape cosmetically but I have noticed an issue that occurs every once in a while when I attempt to focus. When I look through the viewfinder and attempt to focus, there is no split image displayed. I will move the focus ring back and forth but nothing changes in the view finder. This doesn’t happen every time, I would say about 10-20% of the time that I use the camera. Also, I have tried multiple lenses on this body and it happens regardless of which lens is mounted, so I’m certain that it is an issue with the camera body and not the lens.  Usually if this is issue occurs, I will take the lens off then remount it and that will fix the issue temporarily.

I am wondering if it is the rangefinder that is broken or if there is a mechanism that connects the body to the lens that is not making a good connection. I plan on bringing the camera in to have it checked out but I wanted to see if you guys had an experience with this issue and if parts need to be replaced or if a full CLA would fix the problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Two common causes for this:

One is getting a finger over the rangefinder window in front of the shutter speed dial. This actually happens often with users new to M rangefinders. In this case the RF window seems dark.

Second is the flare issue where the RF window "whites out" in certain lighting conditions. If you move your eye around slightly you can find a point where you see around the flare. The M6 is about the worst of the Leica models for the RF flare issue due to cost cutting in the RF design in those years.

I've had my M6 since 1985, and didn't have the "finger" problem as I used earlier M models since the mid 1960s. I did notice the flare issue compared to my M4, but didn't consider it serious as I learned to work around it. However, I recently had Don Goldberg update the RF to installation "flare fix" of modern design parts which eliminates the problem. Sorry I didn't have this done years ago!

Two thoughts occur to me, finger trouble as outlined by Tom. And not mounting the lens correctly. Could be both happening at the same time.

Finger trouble is solved by not putting your finger over the rangefinder window, the one nearest the shutter button. The second is solved by making sure you don't keep the your finger on the lens release button when mounting a lens. People often do this thinking they are being kind to the camera because you don't hear the 'click' of the lens engaging on the pin in the body. But it causes the lens to over-rotate in the body by just a fraction and this can not only allow the wrong framelines to show but also block the rangefinder cam from working. So mount the lens by letting it 'click' into place.

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick replies! Unfortunately I don't think either of those are the cause of this issue. I usually keep my finger on the shutter button and none of my other fingers are near the rangefinder. I also always make sure the lens properly clicks in when mounting. I am wondering if the lever on the body that engages the focus on the lens is broken or needs lube/adjusting.

​I have never heard of a sporadic issue such as you describe. However, a camera that old can benefit from a good clean-adjust-lube service by a good Leica technician, if just for peace of mind. For this kind of service I use DAG Camera repair, as he has been more consistently excellent than the other noted techs I've tried.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick replies! Unfortunately I don't think either of those are the cause of this issue. I usually keep my finger on the shutter button and none of my other fingers are near the rangefinder.

So where are your other fingers then? A finger blocking the small rangefinder 'window' is usually the cause of the issue you describe.

Hi Nicholas!! Congratulation for your Leica!

About the focusing issue, I had the same but on an older Russian camera. Sometimes, I was not able to focus. I figured out that the little wheel, close to the mount ring was not moving properly. This piece will ensure the focus transition between the lens and the body.

To solved this

- I had the mechanism to be cleaned.

- Also when attaching the lens, I always pay attention the lens to be focus at infinity (if I remember well). The focus barrel at the back of the lens is not prominent (sorry, difficult to explain without the lens with me)

So I would suggest, not to damage the camera and its precision mechanism to bring to an official dealer, asking the camera to be CLA. A little investment but worth doing it for a longer user and also a better resale value.

I hope this will help you solving the issue.

Not that it helps you in any way, but perhaps just for comfort, I'm having the same experience with a M6 Classic I just bought. I've used a variety of M cameras for several years before this, so I know all about covering the rangefinder window. It's not that.

Guess I'll treat it to a CLA soon, but it happens so seldomly that I can somewhat live with it, and I'm still kinda hoping it will just stop happening by itself.  :p