50 f2 Summicron-R Differences

ColColt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having just ran across a near mint R6 I began looking at normal lens for it should i decide to buy. I noticed a distinct difference in design between one with serial number 226xxxx and another with 292xxxx. Any reason to choose one over the other? This one has the lower serial number. The other one mounted in the red case is the higher serial number.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ColColt

Two different optical designs. The earlier one was the predecessor to the M v3 Summicron, and was noted for high contrast wide open and excellent central sharpness. The later one is similar to the M v4 Summicron, and is more even over the frame. I have both, and really see little difference, but the earlier has shown central veiling flare more. I believe it was not multicoated.

• Like 3

Very   good  information  above  , always   good   to  learn  something new.

I  have the older  one  in the  top  picture   and it  is  the only  one  I  have  ver used  so  can  not  compare  performance  etc .

I  do  find the  lens  hood  arrangement  on the older one  a bit of  a  fiddle .  Take the  cap  off , take  lens  hood  off  and  reverse it to use .  While  with  the new one   just  take   the  lens  cap off  pull  out  the hood  and  go . 

If  you  loose one  of the old hoods  it  can  be  very  hard  and  expensive  to  get  a replacement. 

I have had a couple of examples of the later lens, in my time, both of which had the ROM contacts fitted. The were both excellent lenses, on a par with teh M version of a similar age.

If you are using an R6, the ROM is irrelevant, so don't pay extra for a ROM version.

I recently bought a late production unit 2.0/50 Summicron-R vII (in the lower picture) as a present for my R7. 

What a lovely lens,both for use and for the images it produces.

I have some experience with the vI lens and the vII is better.

It's also easier to get filters for the vII (E55) rather than the vI (Series VI).

Edited by MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Note that you need an 'R' or 3 cam lens. The earlier version may not be 3 cam (and definately won't be 'R').

I have the later version on my R3 and it's a superb lens, although the pull out hood is not much use if you use a filter.

James, the hood slides over a filter without problem. (At least it does on mine, fitted with an E55 B + W MRC UV filter.)