Shutter Count LeicaSL

tomtom

No.

Since the M9 this function has been unavailable to users. 

The unique image ID is generated by an algorithm that Leica has not divulged and we have no access to the Service Menu in the firmware where the shutter count ...... if it exists ..... resides ...

I've been doing some analysis (when I have a moment) on the unique image ID since I now have a couple of thousand images in sequence that I can use for that task. I can't remember the details here but so far it's roughly: 

• The first four digits count up in sequence, frame by frame, as hexadecimal numbers. 00 01, 01 01, 02 01, 03 01, ... FF FF, then roll over again and again. 
  • The next group of digits (four or six??) also count up as the frames proceed but I haven't figured out the pattern yet. 
  • The latter eight or nine digits have proven invariant. 

If I get anywhere with sussing it out, I'll let all'y'all know. 

Carl Bretteville and I looked at the unique identifier sequence for the M[240] and didn't get far.  It appeared to restart frequently as well.

Of course if a camera is able to do video as well as still images, it is less clear what the single usage number should be to replace shutter activation count.

scott

Carl Bretteville and I looked at the unique identifier sequence for the M[240] and didn't get far.  It appeared to restart frequently as well.

Of course if a camera is able to do video as well as still images, it is less clear what the single usage number should be to replace shutter activation count.

scott

(bolded) The shutter actuations count is a measure of the number of cycles that the mechanical shutter in a camera has performed, useful to gauge its estimated health/future lifespan against published (or alleged) MTBF values. Video capture does not operate the shutter mechanism more than once per video captured so it's just as valid a part of the count as making a still exposure with respect to the shutter mechanism. 

• 5 years later...