Same lens formula?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...What is a bit unusual is the the inner mounts are usually hand scribed with last 4 digits of serial.  Yours is machine  marked.  ...

I don't think it's unusual... I have a standard rigid and a DR (1.986.xxx - 1.785.xxx) and both have the complete s/n stamped on the focusing Mount, exactly like in the above pictures.... the hand engravings are onto the lensheads.

At the end of the focus scale, the exact focal the mount is made for is engraved 90 degrees off using the last two digits. If the numbers do not match, it was a custom job or just a fraud.

Are you sure it was the case on the V1 of the Summicron 50/2 V2 Rigid ?

I don't think so.

I have only seen that on the second version of the Summicron V2.

Yours is the version one. There was a second version with satin chrome and different optics. If you look at both together, the front element curve is very different. DR and Rigids also came in the update and the eyes are different and not interchangeable. I never shot with the "heavy chrome" version.

It the first time that read that the V1 of the V2 Summicron 50/2 had a different optical formula than the V2 of the V2.

All the versions of the Rigid and DR are supposed to have the same lenses.

It the first time that read that the V1 of the V2 Summicron 50/2 had a different optical formula than the V2 of the V2.

All the versions of the Rigid and DR are supposed to have the same lenses.

I think it is as you say : the design of the Summicron was slightly changed in 1956 (Mandler, of course...) with  different curvatures of the front element (made with the famous LaK9 glass, anyway already used in great part of the first retractable Summicrons) and new glasses ("LF7" and "F5") for 4th and 5th element : this design remained unaltered till 1969 (6 elements version) : the changing of mounts (dual distance scale, different focusing ring, front writings in capital) occurred around 1960 but afaik lens cell was exactly the same-

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Everybody,

50mm lenses with serial numbers beginning with 147 were manufactured in 1957.

Leitz did NOT begin engraving the last actual measured millimeter followed by the actual measured tenth of a millimeter, always written without a decimal point in between them, until around 1960. Possibly 1959. This is the 2 digit number at a right angle to the other numbers that Luigi is writing about. Sometimes this 2 digit number is found at or near the feet/meter marks on the focusing barrel. Sometimes it is elsewhere on the focusing barrel.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it is as you say : the design of the Summicron was slightly changed in 1956 (Mandler, of course...) with  different curvatures of the front element (made with the famous LaK9 glass, anyway already used in great part of the first retractable Summicrons) and new glasses ("LF7" and "F5") for 4th and 5th element : this design remained unaltered till 1969 (6 elements version)...

Luigi,

what you say is correct, i.e. the design of the Summicron was slightly changed in 1956. However, that was the change from the first (collapsible) Summicron to the second version, which was offered as the Rigid (in both bayonet and screw mount) and as the DR. That second version to the best of my knowledge never experienced any change in optical construction (coatings were improved over time, as is apparent from the different color of the reflections off the lens elements. Early versions reflect blueish, whereas later versions reflect purple/brownish).

If there really was any change in optical construction of the second version Summicron, I would be interested to learn when that occurred.

Best,

Andy

• Like 1