Accelerated brassing

bencoyote

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 years of use, not a day of abuse.  has seen all parts of the world. From Siberia, Yakutsk, to Tierra del Fuego, Kalimantan, Everglades, in deserts and highlands of Africa to be short: This lens travelled for over a Million kilometers around the world.  Does it show? I don't think so. It doesn't have to IMHO.

I does look like its taken some great photos and been on it's share of adventures :D

For me a camera is like a pair of new shoes. I like to wear them until they show wear, but I keep them fit by polishing them regularly. Why should one not be careful with good and expensive gear. To me it's decadent to think about deliberately demolishing equippement.

There's my man! I got a pair of outstanding Red Wing Iron Ranger boots (boots because this is rural Minnesota), then got a second identical pair a year later. I regularly polished them with affection until they glowed. Sadly I found that one certain polish just destroyed the leather of the first pair, cracking it badly. It was like dropping a Leica. I reserve the broken pair for use with ice-cleats when walking on the lake by my house.

Red Wing is just up-river from me, a great place to visit for pottery, antiques, and at one time the real-deal Red Wing boots. We would drop off boots for repair, something like the lifetime commitment of good old film Leicas.

Edited by pico

There's my man! I got a pair of outstanding Red Wing Iron Ranger boots (boots because this is rural Minnesota), then got a second identical pair a year later. I regularly polished them with affection until they glowed. Sadly I found that one certain polish just destroyed the leather of the first pair, cracking it badly. It was like dropping a Leica. I reserve the broken pair for use with ice-cleats when walking on the lake by my house.

Red Wing is just up-river from me, a great place to visit for pottery, antiques, and at one time the real-deal Red Wing boots. It was once possible to drop off boots for complete resoling and new heels, something like the lifetime commitment of good old film Leicas.

That's why Red Wing always recommended oil instead of polish.  :)

I have also always dusted and cleaned my equipment after a day's shooting.

Given that we've got self cleaning ovens, ice free fridges and the like, you'd have though self cleaning cameras would have been up there with a similar technology wouldn't you. Mine are always dusty in those 'hard to get to places' near the shutter dial. 

Red Wing is just up-river from me, a great place to visit for pottery, antiques, and at one time the real-deal Red Wing boots. We would drop off boots for repair, something like the lifetime commitment of good old film Leicas.

Your the first man for who I take out my boots...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Mine are always dusty in those 'hard to get to places' near the shutter dial. 

A 1-inch natural bristle paint brush will whisk those bit away in a heart-beat. (Learned from doing product shots as a kid.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 1-inch natural bristle paint brush will whisk those bit away in a heart-beat. (Learned from doing product shots as a kid.)

I will write out 100 times.....

Clean but not mint. Dusty!

None of my 3 black Leicas show any brass. Collectively these cameras have made about 75,000 exposures and traveled about 100,000 miles. The only care I give them is to wipe them down with a micro-fiber cloth and put them back in the bag after each use. I do this habitually because I live and often shoot near or on the ocean and salt can melt the covers of some cameras (Nikon) turning them into a sticky mess.

I expect one day my M9 will be the first to start to brassing because it is black paint. The Monochrom will just look dull. And that's fine. But at 65, I'm not about to take up jogging to make my cameras look old. It's bad enough that the man in the mirror looks like my grandfather. No sense in ruining my knees and gear just to look cool.

We have watch winding storage cases for mechanical watches - it seems that Leica should make a camera brassing storage case for M cameras, particularly since the Lenny Kravitz kits have all been snatched up.

Rather than padding covered by red velvet, the case would be lined with 1200 grit emery cloth.  You install the batteries, program it to agitate at a given interval for a given length of time and wait with baited breath, knowing that your multi-thousand dollar M camera will look like a camera owned by a "real" photographer in a matter of a few short days rather than the years of use that it takes to get an M brassed the old fashioned way.

No one will ever again think you a photographic dilettante.  Till they see your photos that are totally devoid of composition, content and impact, that is.   :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

I would like to offer my services as a `Leica M brasser` if you want your camera to get some nice brassing you can send it to me and I'll use it as my daily shooter for a couples of years, when the camera achieves the desired brassing I'll ship it back to you!! "Free shipping all around the World" and you only pay for the first 100 rolls!!!  

• Haha 4

I have a brass Elmar. Most of the black paint had been removed by time or a previous owner,  so I polished and lacquered the exposed brass.

Also I have a brass Nikon S. Again someone had removed the chrome from the front panel, so that has now been polished and lacquered, pity the Elmar doesn’t fit on the Nikon body.

• Like 1

Been all over bristol,,,trekked in the darkest parts of south wales which is nearly 2 hours drive from my home but my bloody m262 just will not brass!!

Desperate and worried,what the hell is going on? 

9 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Been all over bristol,,,trekked in the darkest parts of south wales which is nearly 2 hours drive from my home but my bloody m262 just will not brass!!

Desperate and worried,what the hell is going on? 

In my humble opinion, you need to travel FAR more ambitiously! I’m not suggesting Africa or anything like that: but Yorkshire! I once read “where there’s muck there’s brass”..    ..hope this helps! 

Edited by Denys
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some years ago, in a Leica Store, I've seen this pair coming for a trade-in,

I didn't know if the trade-in worked or not but I was allowed to picture them

I have some brassed Ms, but nothing as "far" as this pair

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, epand56 said:

Against all my efforts, my camera is not brassing at all, just keep taking pictures. It's quite boring.

I would suggest that brassing is probably quite expensive. My cameras show signs of wear for sure. One has a dent. It acquired this before I bought it and had been repaired as a result. It would have needed a replacement top to get rid of the dent - for €700 - but it had a full Leica warranty after the repair. If you mistreat your cameras enough to have significant brassing then they will most likely be visiting Leica and spending your money doing so. My M9: 

Sure it has some brass showing and it gets used but most is as a result of being rubbed rather than bashed. 

• 1 year later...

The Thumbs Up on my M-P 240 is brassing nicely. That's about it. I think I am more careful with Leica's than other cameras as I don't want to incur repair bills. My black Nikon FE's Take quite a beating and are brassing very nicely. If they break, about $100 gets me another one.

On 2/8/2016 at 9:23 AM, Paulus said:

Your the first man for who I take out my boots...

Oh my favorites ... on my third pair ....

I polish them regularly but after multiple trips into Mexico ... wear them while building houses for my favorite ministry ... great protection from

the parasites and treacherous conditions on the work site .... they are just getting a bit of brassing. Also like to wear them when working

in the flower beds around the house as they are snake-proof.

Had to power wash them to get them this clean ....

• 7 months later...