Ideas for a nice case for the Leica Q

Snowman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Soon to get the Q here in the UK, am I'm on the never ending waiting lists.

Anyway any ideas on what is the 'ideal' case for the Q in terms off size etc. Looking to do a mixture of

landscape and street photography, so needs to be water resistant and have a few pockets to carry an extra battery or two, maybe a table tripod etc.

Thanks,

Nick

Camera case and/or camera kit bag?

Nick. No one can tell you what type of bag will suit your requirements.  It's a matter of trying a few in the stores and strictly applying your own tests of suitability. I have a room full of well known branded carrying bags purchased every time I acquired new kit or experienced a new pain in my back, or changed my travel plans. Most were designed for photographers but very few are practical and some put your equipment at more risk rather than less.  

As it happens, I needed a bag to hold my new Q, but it had to be extra light, and optionally hold my alternative kit of M9 + two lenses.  In fact I found it would hold two bodies and two lenses, but I would never go shooting with that big a load.  Realistically, when you are in action, the camera is in your hand.  Oh, and it must hold a drink, and it must have some space for a scrunched up waterproof jacket. I also pack the batteries and charger with the camera while I'm travelling.  It must also pass the measurement conditions for carry-on luggage when doing airline travel because I never lose sight or control of this bag, and it must have a separate compartment for travel documents so I don't reveal its content while I deal with check-in.  I do street photography and was on my way to India.  In the end, I visited DIXONS / PCworld and found a very well constructed and secure bag made by Case Logic for under £30. Waterproof, padded, internal separate and removable camera compartment, and zipped on the top for easy access without taking it off . Documents in a separate section.  That's what I took and it worked well.  

That being said, you could also consider one of the Lowepro top loaders that would be suitable for the Q. However, that bag only holds a camera and batteries and nothing else.

Go and try a few in the dealers shops, but my advice is that unless you are keen to, don't spend hundreds of pounds on a case that will not contribute anything to your images and due to limitations, may frustrate you so much that you never use it again! 

You don't mention whether you also feel you need a camera case. That's a case which fits snugly around the body to protect it but which doesn't interfere with shooting.  Search the forum for Q cases and you'll see what options exist. I started with the  Leica leather slip case but I've moved on to an independently made, black  leather case from a Korean manufacturer on EBay. It has a very well made black aluminium integral base and grip, with access to the battery compartment. .  Perfect!

good luck.

note: you shouldn't still be waiting for a Q.  Call Harrison cameras.  Even if they have a list, it shouldn't take long.  Ffordes may also have replenishing stock.

Edited by lucerne

no answer to the case, but whose waiting list are you on? it seems a few suppliers now have stock. I bought mine in Barcelona where there seems to be loads on shelves and with the euro mine was £100 cheaper.

... and no passport.

I ordered a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10, which should be able to just fit the camera with hood attached and nothing else, save for maybe a spare battery or two in the outer pouch

Will let you know how it works once it arrives

That looks like a good choice for day-to-day camera only and a sensible price.

I'm a great fan of the fishing bags made by Chapman of Carlisle, UK. They look good and are quite sturdy...I have two, one with a removable laptop insert.

For leather half cases those made in Florence, Italy by Angelo-Pelle look rather good.

Neither of these are cheap, by the way, but quality usually costs more and is worth it in the long run.

I have a Crumpler "4 Million Dollar Home" bag and used it regularly for the M and now for the Q. Q fits well (with hood on) and there is space for wallet and phone as well. Very happy with the size, look and the functionality.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10, which should be able to just fit the camera with hood attached and nothing else, save for maybe a spare battery or two in the outer pouch

Will let you know how it works once it arrives

Mills art -

How did the Mirrorless Mover 10 work for your Leica Q?  I am looking for a small/light bag to hold Q + SF-26 flash + extra battery (or two).  

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed reading your Jan 2. informative posts comparing the Leica Q with the Sony RX1R II.  Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Will let you know how it works once it arrive

Did it work for the Leica Q? I need a bag just big enough to fit in the Kamera with hood and lenscap. Does anybody else have experience with a bag like that?

Greetings

• Like 1

Have answered this question a lot. Best case is Arte Di Mano. Best Bag is Billingham Hadley small version. Both are expensive but worth it. If you are into something more fashionable with full leather (and heavy), there are other options. For me, I have tried many but always return to Billingham. Just works.

• Like 2

Did it work for the Leica Q? I need a bag just big enough to fit in the Kamera with hood and lenscap. Does anybody else have experience with a bag like that?

Greetings

Here's the Mirrorless Mover 10 with the Q, hood and thumb grip. Plenty of room for cards, batteries, cloth, etc. There is enough room to use the included divider which holds in place with velcro (not shown). I can slide my iPhone into the divider... I'd say it's a perfect fit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I also got Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 for my Q, and it does indeed look like a perfect fit for the camera plus an extra battery. 

Now, I have just bought an SF40 flash. Any suggestions for a nice bag for those times when I want to carry the Q along with SF40 flash? Thanks...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have answered this question a lot. Best case is Arte Di Mano. Best Bag is Billingham Hadley small version. Both are expensive but worth it. If you are into something more fashionable with full leather (and heavy), there are other options. For me, I have tried many but always return to Billingham. Just works.

I just ordered this from ebay, comes from China but looks as good as arte di mano from the pic.... will let you know how good it is later.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!