MP - just for posers?

I thought it was enamel. Silly me.

You are right of course, but who remembers the outrage when Leica first introduced the MP and some people genuinely thought that 'lacquer' meant a delicate wood finish? It was hilarious for a few months, until the penny dropped and with enough explanation they were ground down into understanding it just meant 'paint'.

Steve

• Like 1

Since a majority of MP or M-A prospective buyers also have one of the various digital M cameras in use, the LEICA à la carte program

http://www.leica-a-la-carte.com/alacarte/index/TOKEN/t2-XSKro_pfwvZv-g9YTMrzoshk/M/GAjxmw

should also include the option for the MP/M-A to have the sequence on the shutter speed dial as on the M7 (or former M6TTL) = as on the digital Leica M bodies. 

Not offering this option (which would make life easier for those, who shoot digital and analog at the same time) might show, that the MP and M-A series sell very well as it is, and that Leica is not interested to expand the production 2016 in this segment.

Edited by tri

should also include the option for the MP/M-A to have the sequence on the shutter speed dial as on the M7 (or former M6TTL) = as on the digital Leica M bodies. 

I don't think there is room in the MP/M-A style body for the additional gearing to reverse the shutter speed dial. In any case, I doubt that there is much demand for such an à la carte option. For example, I don't get the sense that the M6TTL (which has the reversed direction shutter dial) is in greater demand than the plain vanilla M6.

• Like 1

I don't think there is room in the MP/M-A style body for the additional gearing to reverse the shutter speed dial. In any case, I doubt that there is much demand for such an à la carte option. For example, I don't get the sense that the M6TTL (which has the reversed direction shutter dial) is in greater demand than the plain vanilla M6.

Oh yes: prices M6 / M6TTL differ.

Not to mention when it comes to 0.58 and 0.85 versions.

Presently Leica is not making the effort to include the M-A into the à la carte program.

Either every proud owner displays his in the thread or it really sells very well. Probably both.

Edited by tri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since a majority of MP or M-A prospective buyers also have one of the various digital M cameras in use, the LEICA à la carte program [...]

I doubt that will ever happen because it involves internal changes. Most of the a la carte versions are just cosmetic changes and of factory standard options.

Hello

Is the MP used by anyone on here professionally? With M6 prices very decent I really don't see any point in spending three times the cost for the MP. Yes the flare issue is one factor differing these two excellent cameras, but is there anything else?

Came to this discussion at a late stage.

No they are not quite the same of course, black paint excluded.... Here is a list of how the MP differs from the M6:

Viewfinder

·  All optical parts are now coated;

- The viewfinder window has a new scratch-resistant coating;

- The roof prism has a black coating to reduce stray light;

- Improved illumination of the viewfinder frame and increased 2nd image contrast;

-  Flare reduction by adding an extra lens in the vicinity of the masks;

- To provide better illumination of the viewfinder frame and a reduction in reflection, the shape and the hole contour allowing light in the viewfinder was changed;

- The top cover is milled from one piece in brass, which ensures in the advent of heavy mechanical stress distortion is largely excluded;

- A two-stage battery icon informs about the condition of the batteries;

Electronics

- The exposure meter electronics have been revised and updated;

- A processor now allows a digital regulation for programming in production and servicing. By avoiding the use of potentiometers, the durability and stability are increased;

- Improved linearity of the exposure meter ensures accurate exposures over the entire operating range;

- A voltage regulator ensures the correct supply voltage even with weak batteries;

Flash mode

- It can now also sync flashes with the camera without a battery in the camera;

(The camera does not support TTL flash mode).

- The starting slope of the hot shoe is integrated into the housing;

Film advance:

- The film advance is smoother and softer with optimized gear shapes;

- Through better friction material selection, the friction disc of the film reel enables a quieter film transport and a higher long-term stability;

Scope Of Supply:

· Additional battery cover with coin slot is provided;

Shutter:

- The ground plate of the shutter brake is now made of a bronze alloy, whereby the adjustments remain more stable and durable;

- The saddle spring for the friction brake is now made of a wear-resistant material;

- The saddle spring of the friction brake is also made thinner in order to increase its reaction speed;

- The leaf spring for the brake (yet another leaf spring in the camera) is changed from bronze to more durable steel;

- A more elastic second friction spring has been chosen to provide better possibilities of adjustment and to guarantee long-term stability;

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 6

Came to this discussion at a late stage.

No they are not quite the same of course, black paint excluded.... Here is a list of how the MP differs from the M6:

Viewfinder

·  All optical parts are now coated;

- The viewfinder window has a new scratch-resistant coating;

- The roof prism has a black coating to reduce stray light;

- Improved illumination of the viewfinder frame and increased 2nd image contrast;

-  Flare reduction by adding an extra lens in the vicinity of the masks;

- To provide better illumination of the viewfinder frame and a reduction in reflection, the shape and the hole contour allowing light in the viewfinder was changed;

- The top cover is milled from one piece in brass, which ensures in the advent of heavy mechanical stress distortion is largely excluded;

- A two-stage battery icon informs about the condition of the batteries;

Electronics

- The exposure meter electronics have been revised and updated;

- A processor now allows a digital regulation for programming in production and servicing. By avoiding the use of potentiometers, the durability and stability are increased;

- Improved linearity of the exposure meter ensures accurate exposures over the entire operating range;

- A voltage regulator ensures the correct supply voltage even with weak batteries;

Flash mode

- It can now also sync flashes with the camera without a battery in the camera;

(The camera does not support TTL flash mode).

- The starting slope of the hot shoe is integrated into the housing;

Film advance:

- The film advance is smoother and softer with optimized gear shapes;

- Through better friction material selection, the friction disc of the film reel enables a quieter film transport and a higher long-term stability;

Scope Of Supply:

· Additional battery cover with coin slot is provided;

Shutter:

- The ground plate of the shutter brake is now made of a bronze alloy, whereby the adjustments remain more stable and durable;

- The saddle spring for the friction brake is now made of a wear-resistant material;

- The saddle spring of the friction brake is also made thinner in order to increase its reaction speed;

- The leaf spring for the brake (yet another leaf spring in the camera) is changed from bronze to more durable steel;

- A more elastic second friction spring has been chosen to provide better possibilities of adjustment and to guarantee long-term stability;

Thanks for this sumolux.

My MP (pricey a la carte, yeah!) is closing in on two hundred rolls and is getting very smooth. I don't know if it will ever be as quiet as my '58 M3 but I think some of that is because the shutter curtains on the MP are under a bit more tension. The M3 is a soft tick and the MP is a bit louder and crisp.

I'm unfamiliar with the M6 other than thinking there were several different models and special editions. And the zinc business. I'm sure it's a workhorse but I was all in for the (metered) MP anyway so it was a done deal. A very nice list of improvements, about most of which Joe User will never need to know. Anecdotal because I can't give a link but I read Leica has committed to parts for the MP for 50 years.

Yes, it was a good bit of money but I've sort of forgotten about that part.

s-a

• Like 1

Back to the question: No, I don think a MP is just for posers. It's a high quality analogue camera. All M- Models have been very expensive when they were new. So If you want a new one, that's the price to pay.

Smoothness: I have a well used M2, a seldom used M3 (almost like new), seldom used M4 and somewhere inbetween a M6.

The smoothest is the M2, followed by the M6, then M3 and M4. So I think spring tensions, gear play and whatsoever differs

from time to time because of the usage also.

A frequently used MP or late M6 could feel smoother than a seldom used M3 or M2 or MP, or whatever.

The only improvement i would pay for is the MP-finder, the rest is nice to know, but I don't care, if a spring know would last for

theoretically 100 years instead of 60 years...

And I can also fire a flash without batteries on my M2, M3, M4, M6, since there is just a mechanical closed circuit.

• Like 2

I just got an MP because during the latest Gaza war I got fed up with the rewind cranks on my M6ttl not being able to take hits like the older style knobs. I always had to take a couple with me and that's not very convenient when traveling to conflict zones. I have not used the MP in a similar situation yet but it feels like it will do a better job for me. When shooting for fun I will still use my M4 though, slow things down a bit.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

Just a small correction concerning Post #34 on Page 2 of this Thread:

"M" film camera bodies are made of die cast aluminum (not zinc) alloys.

Best Regards,

Michael

I wonder? Most books on the M series state the body is of zinc alloy. Leica claimed the M6 series was aluminium alloy. Then they claimed the M7 was magnesium alloy. Now they state the bodies are "all metal". Interesting. The main thing is they are not plastic :-)

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Forum.

What you wrote in your Post #75, just above, is interesting.

In terms of Barnack & Film "M" body castings: I have only read about aluminum alloys being used until the more modern "M" digital body castings which are written about as being magnesium alloys.

With all alloys, Of course, there is the question: What are the other alloying materials?

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

I had an MP-3 for a few years, nice camera but I liked my M6's better, just a super workhorse, all I need really. I now have what I consider to be my best M6TTL ever, MP viewfinder, no 90mm or 135mm frame line clutter, custom surface, just a killer shooter.

MP's are nice and all, but I like my M6's best. 

Whats your problem ShivaYash? Why do you think all 'latest models' are for posers... I guess I'm such a big poser because I own an S and M and R all latest models... I do make money though with my 'poser cameras' so I guess I'm a professional poser!

I've seen your threads before, asking about is the xx Leica a camera thats actually being used or just for posers. When are you a poser? When you don't shoot it, or when you don't make a living of photography? Or what?

Why is this even important?

• Like 1

Whats your problem ShivaYash? Why do you think all 'latest models' are for posers... I guess I'm such a big poser because I own an S and M and R all latest models... I do make money though with my 'poser cameras' so I guess I'm a professional poser!

I've seen your threads before, asking about is the xx Leica a camera thats actually being used or just for posers. When are you a poser? When you don't shoot it, or when you don't make a living of photography? Or what?

Why is this even important?

You are late to the party on this one Jip. It's home time now. Bye bye.

Hello

Is the MP used by anyone on here professionally? With M6 prices very decent I really don't see any point in spending three times the cost for the MP. Yes the flare issue is one factor differing these two excellent cameras, but is there anything else?

I'm a former MP owner and now have the M6 Classic.

SY.

My first MP new costed € 2000,- The M6 costed € 1450/1750, used then. My latest( bought 2012 used mint MP costed €2300,- . The avarage used M6TTL in the same shape costs about € 1100,-. I can live with the diffencence.