MP - just for posers?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's not about bashing the M6 at all. It is a superb camera withnan excellent track record. It's just that I personally can't accept an M to be made of Zinc.

And then there is Black Paint, which ages so gracefully and it sticks to the fingers, as opposed to Black Chrome.

And I could not accept to buy a camera für 4000 bucks+ with black paint, which looks like a 50 year old black paint M4 after 5 years...

They call it "Patina" or "wonderful brassed", I calle it cheap paint :-)

So the MP has to proof it´s reliability for decades, as the M2, M3, M4, M6 have done already.

Indeed. I was shocked to read last night that some poor sods M-A was replaced by Leica after it was leaking light... Can't be that old being that model! Shocking really.

I am that sod (it was my camera) :D. Not sure the light leak was all that shocking as something seems to go wrong with most of the Leica cameras I buy and Leica in Mayfair did act decisively in replacing the camera when Wetzlar were a little vague about how quickly they could repair it (which would have been my preferred course of action). Well worth any hassle – the M-A is the perfect film camera for me (I've owned and used M6TTL, M7 and MP over the years) and I like it so much I recently sold my remaining MP in order to help fund another M-A. No doubt I could have bought 4 good M4 bodies for the money but that wasn't what I wanted (and if sods like me didn't buy new film cameras, Leica would soon stop making them).

• Like 11

The Poser has been found!!!!

(click on the image) --

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by manoleica

(and if sods like me didn't buy new film cameras, Leica would soon stop making them).

Keep buying them as I plan to get my new M-A soon, so I hope they will save one for me.

I too have used M6TTL, M7 and MP, amongst others. My favourites are the M7 and M6TTL. not too keen on the MP except for my MP3.

• Like 1

And I could not accept to buy a camera für 4000 bucks+ with black paint, which looks like a 50 year old black paint M4 after 5 years...

They call it "Patina" or "wonderful brassed", I calle it cheap paint :-)

So the MP has to proof it´s reliability for decades, as the M2, M3, M4, M6 have done already.

Actually the paint on modern Leica film cameras is much harder wearing the paint on original black paint bodies from the 1960s and 1970s. I have owned three black paint MP bodies in my time and none showed any noticeable brassing.

As a general point it is true that, in functional terms, there is no material difference between an M6 and MP. It makes perfect sense to buy a used M6 for £900 rather than spend £3500 on a new MP (or even £2000 on a mint used MP) but, as others have pointed out, there are many reasons why someone might prefer to pay the extra for the MP. Not least of which is that it is sometimes a nice thing to buy a product new, especially one that the owner might want to keep for many years. Also (a point I made in my post above) it is important for Leica (and the wider Leica film camera customer base) that the company finds it viable to continue making the film cameras. They will only do so if enough people buy new cameras.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fully agree with Ian. Now that Cosina have halted production of film cameras, Leica stands alone in the quality film section.

On another point that has been raised. Leica at one time must have felt that Zinc was a suitable material for top plates and used it for a number of years. Of course it is still used, as Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc but that is not quite the same thing:-)

Whole heartedly agree. This sod (me) cannot afford to purchase new Leica kit. A combination of personal circumstances and personal choice but I've just parted with £575 for a M6Ti and a further £100 for a CLA. I'm pleased and look forward to shooting some film. First time in nine years. I think the point of this post was really to remind people lurking that the M6 at present levels is shockingly good value for money.

Fully agree with Ian. Now that Cosina have halted production of film cameras, Leica stands alone in the quality film section.

On another point that has been raised. Leica at one time must have felt that Zinc was a suitable material for top plates and used it for a number of years. Of course it is still used, as Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc but that is not quite the same thing:-)

Indeed. Is there much weight difference between zinc and brass?

Leica M6: 560g, Leica MP: 585g.

There is also no pure Zinc used, Its a mixture of Zn, Al, Cu, Mg. So there is no reason not to use it.

M6: 560g, M6TTL: 600g, MP: 585, M7: 610g. As both the M6 and M6TTL have, in the main, Zinc alloy top plates, I believe the weight difference is more to do with spec. rather than the top plate.

The Top- Plates are just thin tinplates. A Leica "Made out out of zinc" is just nonsens. But there has been also a lot of discussion, when the M4-P was new and some

inner parts where made not out of massive brass (since then to now) but made out of bended steel. The newer gears are even stronger to work together with the motors properly.

But anyway: The MP is a nice camera with a very good finder and If one can afford it and wants it, it should be bought!

And if a lot of brass is wanted, then go for a M2, M3, M4: There is enough brass inside one camera, to make 10 MP- Top Plates out of it :-)

• Like 1

The Top- Plates are just thin tinplates. A Leica "Made out out of zinc" is just nonsens. But there has been also a lot of discussion, when the M4-P was new and some

inner parts where made not out of massive brass (since then to now) but made out of bended steel. The newer gears are even stronger to work together with the motors properly.

But anyway: The MP is a nice camera with a very good finder and If one can afford it and wants it, it should be bought!

And if a lot of brass is wanted, then go for a M2, M3, M4: There is enough brass inside one camera, to make 10 MP- Top Plates out of it :-)

All M bodies from M3 to present day are made from diecast zinc alloy.

It's not about bashing the M6 at all. It is a superb camera withnan excellent track record. It's just that I personally can't accept an M to be made of Zinc.

And then there is Black Paint, which ages so gracefully and it sticks to the fingers, as opposed to Black Chrome.

Black paint is my favorite coating, though I own an M6. I love the look of brassing and black paint.

• Like 1

Fotoklaus,

You clearly do not understand the appeal of black paint Leicas.

M4 and MP do not share the same paint at all and they wear differently.

And the market spoke much louder than you can possibly speak: a BP M4 or MP costs 3000$+ while a M6 costs a third.

• Like 2