Summilux-SL 50 MM F/1,4 ASPH

Leicaiste

OK. so even you noticed that was only rubbish.   (The part that has been removed, about spoiling the market   :D  :D  :D ).

Sometimes I honestly feel that way. But it's not worth discussing on a thread about a lens. Rather just keep it to lens talk. Or lens praising since anything negative is frowned upon :p

Edited by adamdewilde

Sometimes I honestly feel that way. But it's not worth discussing on a thread about a lens. Rather just keep it to lens talk. Or lens praising since anything negative is frowned upon :p

This forum has a long history of identifying and discussing problems with cameras and lenses; and Leica does (eventually) take notice.

I guess the point is, though, the issues need to be properly identified. We're not there yet ...

A simple question.  Does anyone, other than Leica insiders, actually own a 50mm Summilux-SL?

I ask because Leica Mayfair told me this morning that no lenses will be delivered until January 2017.  

The lenses that have been written about are pre-production, with non-final firmware.  So nobody but Leica owns them.  Who knows what is happening between now and January 2017.

scott

• Like 3

The Nocti is so easy to use and focus on the SL that the only benefit of the 50/f1.4 SL might have been IS. As that is not being offered, I just don't see me buying it. With ultra fast lenses, even though the joystick is really easy to use, selective manual focus with zoom and peaking is even better. I never liked my 50/f1.4 ASPH Summilux very much. It suffered from too much purple fringing and its imaging was a bit harsh. Plus my chrome one was heavy, had very stiff focus and a razor sharp edged focus tab, so physically not a pleasure to use. I much prefer the fractionally kinder/softer imaging from the 0.95 Noctilux. That's another £3500 saved

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Nocti is so easy to use and focus on the SL that the only benefit of the 50/f1.4 SL might have been IS. 

For others those distinctions might include weather sealing, size/weight/ergonomics and/or cost.

IQ may or may not differ from the M version; we'll have to wait and see.  My sample (black) exhibits none of the problems you cite, particularly in prints using a suitable workflow.  Different strokes...good to have choices.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The Nocti is so easy to use and focus on the SL that the only benefit of the 50/f1.4 SL might have been IS. As that is not being offered, I just don't see me buying it. With ultra fast lenses, even though the joystick is really easy to use, selective manual focus with zoom and peaking is even better. I never liked my 50/f1.4 ASPH Summilux very much. It suffered from too much purple fringing and its imaging was a bit harsh. Plus my chrome one was heavy, had very stiff focus and a razor sharp edged focus tab, so physically not a pleasure to use. I much prefer the fractionally kinder/softer imaging from the 0.95 Noctilux. That's another £3500 saved

Wilson

When I tested the Noctilux, 50 Summilux- ASPH and the 50 APO it was the APO I found most impressive. The 50 APO and 50 ASPH are objectively better than the Noctilux while being smaller and lighter. That said I can see the appeal of the unique rendering at larger aperture on the Noctilux along with the smooth focus throw.

If the Summilux-SL is as good technically as the ASPH or APO it has already offered more benefit than the missing IS.

When I tested the Noctilux, 50 Summilux- ASPH and the 50 APO it was the APO I found most impressive. The 50 APO and 50 ASPH are objectively better than the Noctilux while being smaller and lighter. That said I can see the appeal of the unique rendering at larger aperture on the Noctilux along with the smooth focus throw.

If the Summilux-SL is as good technically as the ASPH or APO it has already offered more benefit than the missing IS.

I guess it depends on your definition of technically. Also, who cares about technically? Wouldn't you be more interested in the feeling or mood of the lens? The rendering, the colors? It's a very large 50mm lens, technically it SHOULD be good corner to corner. So what we all should be concern about is how it renders a scene, the look it gives images or the lack of a look which in turn creates a look (in the 50APOs case). 

I'll let you all decide if it's technical enough, and I'll wait till it's in everyones hands to hear what you all think. But for now since most of us are speculating, what would you hope for from a 50mm 1.4? Do you want clean Otus images from Leica, or more character like the 50Lux/Noctilux has?

(even though people have described the 50lux-asph as clinical, I never felt so)

What do you think the 50 LuxL should look like/be like?

Edited by adamdewilde

Well, I've read what Peter Karbe & Stefan Schulz say about the lens, and they seem to know anthing or two about optics, lenses and this lens in particular. Generally, I'm more interested in what they say than anything I read on this forum. Sure, you need to winnow out the marketing speak, but that isn't hard.

For the moment, I'm happy with my Noctilux. When Jono starts posting, that may change. Will try to ignore him, annoying man.

• Like 1

Well, I've read what Peter Karbe & Stefan Schulz say about the lens, and they seem to know anthing or two about optics, lenses and this lens in particular. Generally, I'm more interested in what they say than anything I read on this forum. Sure, you need to winnow out the marketing speak, but that isn't hard.

For the moment, I'm happy with my Noctilux. When Jono starts posting, that may change. Will try to ignore him, annoying man.

I wonder what you expect Peter or Stefan to say?

I guess it depends on your definition of technically. Also, who cares about technically? Wouldn't you be more interested in the feeling or mood of the lens? The rendering, the colors? It's a very large 50mm lens, technically it SHOULD be good corner to corner. So what we all should be concern about is how it renders a scene, the look it gives images or the lack of a look which in turn creates a look (in the 50APOs case).

I'll let you all decide if it's technical enough, and I'll wait till it's in everyones hands to hear what you all think. But for now since most of us are speculating, what would you hope for from a 50mm 1.4? Do you want clean Otus images from Leica, or more character like the 50Lux/Noctilux has?

It would be a home run if the lens behave like OTUS.

Well, more actual information than I might read here.

which is? 

I hope it is not redefine a new standard. 

What I read here so far seems all based on few images so far: size, weight, Onion Ring, and clipped bokeh highlight... That seems all normal.

Nobody seems say anything bad regarding this lens YET.    

My definition of "technically" would include resolution, lack of optical aberrations, color, etc. Many people care about technical quality, as the technical qualities produce the rendering style of the lens. It's the reason lenses range in price, size, weight, etc.

I'm not waiting to decide if it's "technical enough." I'm interested in how it renders. If it's similar to my M-mount 50 Summilux, I won't buy it because I can just keep shooting what I have. If it's similar to the 50 APO I'll likely buy it. If it's similar to the Noctilux, it will be far too specialized for me at the price point. One of my favorite Nikkor lenses was the 58 f1.4. It was more of a specialty lens, used like I would the Noctilux. The difference for me was the low price on the 58 made it's limited application (for me) justifiable. I would love to be able to shoot the Summilux, the APO, and the Noctilux but at their elevated prices I won't be able to.

As far as what I think the Summilux-SL should be, I think it should be a "reference" lens as Leica has described it. Something similar to the 50 APO. If it were a Noctilux style lens I would expect Leica to describe it differently and I would anticipate both a higher price and a more limited amount of use.

• Like 1

Nobody seems say anything bad regarding this lens YET.

Without quoting specific posters, we've had size, price (weight is sure to follow), and lots of comment about the quality of Jpegs, uploaded to the internet, then enlarged ... 11 pages, and no one has a final lens in their hands yet.

There's been plenty written about this lens being bad, and it has yet been released! Fairly normal for Leica forum. Once people get it in their hands, much like the SL camera and the two zooms, I expect the lens will be well received, well loved and the complainers will still be complaining - let's take LCT. The deal killer for him with the SL was that to get focus magnification, you had to press the bottom left button twice, which he could not do while holding down the shutter release with the camera to his eye. You can now trigger magnification with your right thumb on the joystick, which would seem to solve his "deal killer", but it seems the camera still doesn't do it for him.

Needless to say, he doesn't like this lens either (though he doesn't have an SL).

I'm not picking on LCT, just using him as an example as he springs to mind. It would be a relatively easy search to do, if anyone had the patience or energy ...

It just gets a bit old, that's all.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

Each forum contributor seems to have have his/her own pet peeves, deal-breakers, etc. It's part of what makes this place entertaining.  Not so much, though, if one takes it personally.  One person's peeves are another's ideal.  The M240 comes to mind.

Jeff

Each forum contributor seems to have have his/her own pet peeves, deal-breakers, etc. It's part of what makes this place entertaining.  Not so much, though, if one takes it personally.  One person's peeves are another's ideal.  The M240 comes to mind.

Jeff

Really? What are yours?

Covered many times over the years.

Number one 'deal-breaker'.....the VF, and how I see the picture.  If that doesn't suit, then I don't care about the rest.  

The motor re-cock noise on the M8/M9 was not enough to make me switch cameras, but close.  The M240 was a relief in that regard, and a pleasure in many others.  But I hated accidentally hitting the video button on occasion.  After the FW update that allowed me to 'permanently' disable video and LV, it was as if they didn't exist......contrary to your well known feelings.

And so on.  Every camera system has its own pros/cons for me.  That's why I always test hands-on before committing.....and never assume others have my same preferences, nor care if they don't.  I do get annoyed, however, when someone makes judgments as if they should apply to everyone.....consider that a pet peeve.  In other words, I'll say a camera isn't for me.....but I'll never say that it was crap, or a mistake, or whatever....someone will get joy from it, and there are always alternatives.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1