Leica to rework older M lenses?

rramesh

Probably another 135mm lens for the M. Much more useable with the EVF. 

I would not be too surprised by a reworked 180 f/3.4 APO for use with the EVF. Perhaps an APO TC as well. I don't imagine there would be technical limitations.

I read that interview and did not see one thing about "reworking" any old lenses. I did see the mention of creating some.

The quote states, "we might possibly look into the lens portfolio of former days, because I see still a few opportunities there, to create lenses for the M where you can then shoot in a different style."

Unless of course, they've contracted terminal 'Hasselbladness', in which case it'll be retagged Lomo or Lensbaby. B)

Edited by james.liam

Now you kids are getting crazy. Leica will leave the uncoated and pancakes to Voigtlander.

Oh well, maybe this is someway getting a bit crazy... :p but :

1) Dr. Kufmann DID say the quoted words... "former days"  ("former" isn't "early"... not a 5 elements Anastigmat 5cm 3,5  :lol: )

2) Business is business : why "leave to Voigtlander ?" if Cosina sells and earns money onto,  with the right manufacturing partnering , they could produce at about the same costs as CV (not a big number game for them too, anyway) and  put a price premium onto... 

Of course, would be a risky game to play... they could make, say, a 21 f4 (and brand it "Super Angulon"...  ;) ) and/or a compact 35 f2,8 (and brand it "Summaron") and sell them at +50/70% of CV 21 f4 and 35 f2,5 but :

- They of course would be targeted to very traditionalist Leica users... who could decide that they haven't the "mech feel" of Leica... and conclude that the corresponding "old originals" (which typically those customers DO have... ;) ) are better... and don't buy the new (good for the used market)

- They would be compared to the corresponding CV : what a hell of comparision would be ? Leicas are MORE "old style rendering" than CVs ? Sounds a bit ridicolus... Leicas are "better built" ? Uneven, given the cost...  Leicas are "sharper" ? But... arent'we speaking of "old style" ?

So... who knows what is really behind those words.... if any...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I would not be too surprised by a reworked 180 f/3.4 APO for use with the EVF. Perhaps an APO TC as well. I don't imagine there would be technical limitations.

It's some time I have a vague dream about a new 180 for M ... (I even speculated on it in the Forum...  :rolleyes: ) : I'd accept it even at f 4,5/4,8 or so, in exchange of compactness... and even with goggles (maybe as an accessory, as alternative to EVF...)

Anyway, M line does not need to be loaded with new lenses at high rate... should the future M have a really good accessory EVF, there will be space fo 2-3 new lenses in a pair of years (a Tele, a compact Macro, a WA "under 18"...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

My short wishlist:

- If that is true, I would like new computation of Summar-like lens 35mm or 50mm without coating.

- And rebirth of Hologon ( 3 elements ) without distortion (vignetting is fine, it's part of design) as 5.6/14mm or 5.6/15mm

Oh well, maybe this is someway getting a bit crazy... :p but :

2) Business is business : why "leave to Voigtlander ?" if Cosina sells and earns money onto,  with the right manufacturing partnering , they could produce at about the same costs as CV (not a big number game for them too, anyway) and  put a price premium onto... 

Of course, would be a risky game to play... they could make, say, a 21 f4 (and brand it "Super Angulon"...  ;) ) and/or a compact 35 f2,8 (and brand it "Summaron") and sell them at +50/70% of CV 21 f4 and 35 f2,5 but :

- They of course would be targeted to very traditionalist Leica users... who could decide that they haven't the "mech feel" of Leica... and conclude that the corresponding "old originals" (which typically those customers DO have... ;) ) are better... and don't buy the new (good for the used market)

- They would be compared to the corresponding CV : what a hell of comparision would be ? Leicas are MORE "old style rendering" than CVs ? Sounds a bit ridicolus... Leicas are "better built" ? Uneven, given the cost...  Leicas are "sharper" ? But... arent'we speaking of "old style" ?

So... who knows what is really behind those words.... if any...

No point of competing with Cosina.

Compact wides in the SEM series are far superior to anything from olden days.

Old school redux? What I could foresee are a 75 Summilux, reformulated 50 Rigid and 35 Summicron 8-element. Maybe even a limited edition collapsible 50 Summitar.  

That's about it.

Without coating? What benefit do you expect from that?

Lomo or Lensbaby!!!! Flare until you go blind.

I use a Summar for sometime now.

This one is the best that I can obtain with clean optics.

Very difficult to find a good one with clean glass these days.

The way that the Summar give in photos is very special an quite pleasing for me.

The high lights and point lights could come from the fact that it's optic is free from coating.

I use also old 50mm Elmar : older ones "no coating" please me better than the same (built 20 years later) with coating.

I could be wrong.

Q: You mentioned that the M will remain the core of the Leica portfolio. What can we look forward to for the M system, now that the SL has launched?
Kaufmann: Purity. Because the M incorporates the spirit of this company. And the spirit is between revolution and tradition. Purity and clear lense design also in the future, and we might possibly look into the lens portfolio of former days. Because I see still a few opportunities there, to create lenses for the M where you can then shoot in a different style.

Question: What could those lenses be?

Noctilux f1.2 Aspherical?

Edited by bybrett

Q: You mentioned that the M will remain the core of the Leica portfolio. What can we look forward to for the M system, now that the SL has launched?Kaufmann: Purity. Because the M incorporates the spirit of this company. And the spirit is between revolution and tradition. Purity and clear lense design also in the future, and we might possibly look into the lens portfolio of former days. Because I see still a few opportunities there, to create lenses for the M where you can then shoot in a different style.

Noctilux f1.2 Aspherical?

Because there are very few owners of this Noctilux version there's indifference in the audience.

Leica once included a 15mm lens in their M range.  There are, of course, OEM 15mm lenses, but none is entirely satisfactory on an M240.

The "Leica" 15mm was a Zeiss designed and built lens, (As was the quite different 15mm R lens), but there was a suggestion some months ago that Leica were minded to introduce a 14mm.

My 18mm SEM is a very good lens but there are times when I could use something even wider.

I'd settle for f/3.8, or even a bit slower, as a modest aperture is generally not a problem given the use to which such lenses are put. 

Speculation is fun but if they were to use older designs as an inspiration, exotic, uncoated or super-slow lenses make no sense.

They would reach back to some of the more interesting designs that would have broader appeal, like the 50 Rigid, 35 8-element & Summaron 2.8, 50 Summarit 1.5, 75 Summilux and others that defined the brand 50 and 60 years ago. Karbe's choices are polarizing (in a good way; they aren't dull or boring by any measure, often daring and trigger heated discussion). But as the interview implied, there's a an unmet demand as a result. Look at the cottage business for the quirky (and awkward) MS Optical pancake lenses. They sell out immediately.

Pancake/compact design (as an earlier poster mentioned) is one area that's lacking. These super-fast Summilux and Noctilux are born of the late film era/M8/M9 days of limited usable high-ISO capabilities. Lately, Canon in particular has come out with a series of pancake ƒ/2.8 lenses that are tiny gems and Leica could do so as well. The ZM 35C is deservedly lauded while the 21C, fantastic on film, is not for digital sensors. There's an 'in' for Leica if they choose it.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 3

Excellent news if confirmed!

I vote for a new old Lux75 (old design & modern technique) and also (sorry for speaking "Zeissish") a classic Tessar (alias Elmar), Planar (=alias Summicron) & Sonnar (alias Xenar). Or why not a "Hologon" 

In a recent interview with Dr Kaufmann and Mr Kaltner (interview here) the following was mentioned. Interesting to read that Leica might introduce newer lenses for the M drawing from the past.

Q: You mentioned that the M will remain the core of the Leica portfolio. What can we look forward to for the M system, now that the SL has launched?

Kaufmann: Purity. Because the M incorporates the spirit of this company. And the spirit is between revolution and tradition. Purity and clear lense design also in the future, and we might possibly look into the lens portfolio of former days. Because I see still a few opportunities there, to create lenses for the M where you can then shoot in a different style.

I doubt we can expect a new Summitar, but I'd buy one if it was offered.

The ambivalence (sorry, Semi) toward the older look seems to have been borne out upon the step-child Summarit line, going so far as engraving the barrel with a different font (now rectified). The 35 personifies this middle ground between Mandler and Karbe; somewhat lower contrast but no appreciable focus shift and good correction of aberrations. Perhaps the Summarit's "new clothes" and tighter build tolerance (with a tiny gain bit in speed) portends this priority shift. 

The "old" 35mm f/2.5 Summarit is among my favorite lenses.  All of the character of a typical Mandler design, but no focus shift, extremely flare resistant and very well corrected.