Tabbed Version 50mm Chrome Summicron IV, brass or aluminum?

Lua P

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone,

First time post to this great forum :) 
I've lurked a while, obsessed about this and that,  but finally decided to pull the trigger and  bought my first L camera, a nice (metered) MP of which I am the second owner.

I'm looking for a 50mm Summicron and see that the newest body style, the one with the built-in hood, has a weight difference when choosing chrome or black  and that it's due to the brass body of the chrome lens.  I don't see any information available regarding the older, tabbed version with the same optics.  I see that the lens as a whole weighs less and is a little smaller physically, but nothing on wether the black is lighter than the chrome body.

Is this tabbed version, in chrome, also made of brass?  Is there a difference in weight?
If there is I guess it might not be worth mentioning, but it made me question the body composition, wondering if the chrome lens is anodized aluminum or brass.

Any info appreciated.

To be sure, I'm talking about the lens version in this photo.  Thanks so much.

$_35.JPG

Welcome to the forum. :) It is the Summicron 50/2 # 11825 "silver chromium finish" (Colombo version below) hence made of brass AFAIK but i have no evidence about that. It is certainly heavier than the black anodized 11819 but given the small size of the lens the difference cannot be huge anyway.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

Thanks so much!  That makes sense.

I was trying to figure out why in the world would Leica make a Columbo edition!  I can't ever remember seeing him with a Leica.

Then a google search revealed it was for a different Columbo---ColOmbo, who also never had a Leica :)  Go figure.

I appreciate the info.

columbo1.jpg

Edited by Lua P

The silver chrome version is heavier than the black, but neither lens is particularly heavy.  The thing I don't care for on the silver version (as well as the silver versions of the 35/2) is that the plastic tab is black.  It's just esthetics, but I think it would look nicer in silver. 

As an aside, if I wanted a silver 50 Cron and was willing to spend extra for it, I would look for the 50 Jahre edition, which cosmetically replicates the earlier rigid version (but without the annoying-to-me infinity lock).