Delivery status Leica M 246

SiggiGun

In a couple of months you will be able to pick up an M Monochrom (Typ 246) everywhere and whenever the whim tempts you, and then someone will start a thread claiming the writing’s on the wall, the new M Monochrom is a failure after all, yada yada …

• Like 5

I

In a couple of months you will be able to pick up an M Monochrom (Typ 246) everywhere and whenever the whim tempts you

That is not what I observed in the (admittedly small) Australian market with the original MM - any time I made inquiries on any local online store, over a period of a couple of years, the camera was on back order. 

On 4th June I paid a $2,500 deposit based on a promised delivery time of 3 weeks - but now the dealer and Leica Australia tell me that they cannot put a time on delivery, whether it will be six weeks or six months.  A representative of Leica Australia told me that they get given no advice from the factory about when more stock will be available.

I don't mind waiting - what I do object to is the misrepresentation at the time of placing an order, and the inability of anyone in the supply chain to give an ETA.  For a first time experience of Leica, it leaves a bad taste.... 

A common thread emerges:

Availability: New Item - Coming Soon Ship Time: Not available  (B&H)
On Backorder  (Adorama)

Stock status unavailable. (Broadway Camera, Canada)
Sold Out Notify me when this product is available: (Leica Store Mayfair UK)

News today - a fresh batch of Typ246 Monochrom cameras has been released, and I can expect delivery here in Oz in about a week. So other markets should receive some more examples in the same time frame...

My local Leica boutique heard from Leica Australia, who in turn got word from the factory...

• Like 1

Cameras are usually manufactured in batches. The inital batch available at the introduction was 500 copies, whether that is big or small is up to you. Now that the demand is high Leica may be churning out MM non-stop, but then of course they also need to manufacture the M and M-P so they cannot devote the whole of their manufacturing capacity to the MM.

And now the Q too.

And now the Q too.

Although I would guess that the M240/246 supply chain has very little intersection with the Q chain. So Leica can manage these two product flows independently from each other.

I mean, even the Red Dots are so different between the two beautiful bodies!

My dealer just called me, just ordered m246 on the way be here Friday, excited as this will be my only cam for now, boy I better love b/ w images, only 50 lux lens kit, traded 240

Hope did not screw up, support support[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Still waiting. The slippage is a bit irritating. It's not like they had to make new tooling or anything.

D

And like clockwork, complaining and buying two used Zeiss lenses (18 and 25) caused Leica SF to call me today to say the Monochrom was in. Just like every time an Ebay package is late, the day you send an email asking, you come home to find it on your doorstep...

Dante

Cameras are usually manufactured in batches. The inital batch available at the introduction was 500 copies, whether that is big or small is up to you.

Presumably that will neatly result in them being able to do warranty repairs in batches as well then?

Yes clearly they make cameras (and lenses) in batches, that is why they are in short supply, we do know, many have lived through similar shortages before, hence the irritation. But the skill of management isn't to think like a robotic production line but to think about customer expectations and factor that into the equation. What is worse, to make a few cameras more than needed to satisfy the initial demand, or to disappoint customers who clearly had their names down as soon as the camera was announced? It occurs to me that Leica are not using their dealer network to gain intelligence but rather using them as a bird table to which scraps are dispensed ad hoc.

Steve

• Like 1

Received my M(246) today.  Shipped on Tuesday from dealer.  Manufactured 2015 06 17.  

I believe it was only one my dealer received at this time, but don't know for sure.

Looking forward to testing it this weekend.

Jim

Still waiting. The slippage is a bit irritating. It's not like they had to make new tooling or anything.

D

If it is like the M Monochrom- they cherry pick the sensors. Requirements for uniformity exceed that of color sensors, and only 1-stop can be attributed to the lack of dye. It's worth the wait.

Edited by fiftyonepointsix

Got mine few weeks ago, but since the sensor is defective need to return and wait for the next one! :( I get 1px vertical line edge to edge on the photos! Leica should pay more attention to their QC.