M240 FW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wouldn't it be possible to have a mode where you only do a single 'darkframe subtraction' after an entire series of long exposures? Is it vital that it be done immediately after a frame is taken and for every individual frame taken?

Darkframe subtraction is dependent on the sensor temperature and status (i.e. sensels continuously fail).

However, it is nonsense that Leica does not allow disabling darkframe subtraction. That would allow you to capture a single darkframe, and then subtract it in post from all the exposures of the same length captured in your shooting session.

It is also interesting to note that all competitors have technology that allows very nice long exposures without dark frame subtraction.

• Like 2

So what happened? Did they abort the release, or did the intern fail to figure out how to use the content management system for publication?

As far as I know, they are polishing the bits by hand. :)

This made me laugh. I imagined someone, with a white coat, surrounded by mechanical bodies and lens parts everywhere, with an IBM XT computer, developing the firmware code.

You are not far from the truth. A large and popular development suite for digital cameras uses exactly that.

• Like 1

... But no white gloves for a point upgrade. They are reserved for a major improvement. 

They better have some white gloves around... This will be my first firmware upgrade and I hear the process is enlightening :)

You are not far from the truth. A large and popular development suite for digital cameras uses exactly that.

As far as I know the Leica M uses Fujitsu Softune REALOS/FR as its operating system, and therefore most likely Leica uses the development tools provided by Fujitsu (Softune IDE). It is not the most modern IDE by todays standards, but it runs on Win 7 and Win 8: http://www.spansion.com/Support/microcontrollers/developmentenvironment/Pages/software-softune-lineup.aspx

• Like 2

This made me laugh. I imagined someone, with a white coat, surrounded by mechanical bodies and lens parts everywhere, with an IBM XT computer, developing the firmware code.

Oh. And white gloves. :-).

With the XT's 512kb RAM, 360kb floppy diskette drive, you'd have to use DOS V2 with EMT to get the 8Mb firmware file off the 10Mb hdd. But they must have got connected with a 1200bps modem to the serial port using xterm to transfer the file up to the www, which is why we are all still waiting for it to load up...... Edited by dugby
  • Like 5

With the XT's 512kb RAM, 360kb floppy diskette drive, you'd have to use DOS V2 with EMT to get the 8Mb firmware file off the 10Mb hdd. But they must have got connected with a 1200bps modem to the serial port using xterm to transfer the file up to the www, which is why we are all still waiting for it to load up......

I agree. I think they are still waiting for the memory count/test to be finished... 

Good old times :)