M240 FW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do I understand that there are "profiles.M" available such as for Lightroom??

Welcome to the forum. :) SET / User Profile / Manage Profiles / Export Profiles to Card.

When it is done, use another card for the FW update or copy the file "Profiles.M" from your card to your PC. 

I have the profiles on the same card as the update. No problem.

Edited by Alberti

There have been two "2.0.2.5" FW files uploaded by Leica:
- a false one dated 16 June 2015 (8,131,619 bytes); it is in fact a 2.0.1.7 FW file renamed as 2.0.2.5 for testing purpose.
- the true one dated 08 July 2015 (8,188,580 bytes).
I would check that you've downloaded the latter.

Thanks for this. It turns out that I downloaded the false one.

• Like 1

After updating the firmware yesterday morning, I noticed the following differences:

1.  Battery life seems to be shorter.  Yesterday a fully-charged battery was exhausted after about 3 hours and 100 frames shot--without the LCD being used, with EVF being used, with auto shutoff at 2 minutes, and with minimal chimping.  Today I switched the camera off between each series of shots and managed to get 4 hours and 120 frames.  Prior to the update this manner of use would have drained two or three bars, max.

2.  Twice yesterday and twice again today the EVF went black, and four times today it went dim.  In all but one instance, this was remedied by switching the camera off and switching it back on again. The other time I had to remove and replace the battery.

3.  Once today without any apparent cause, and unrelated to any aforementioned glitch, the camera reset itself to the default settings.  I realized it when I reviewed a shot and saw that it was a .jpg, as I normally shoot .dng only.  ISO was reset to auto, EV was reset to 0, lens detection was reset to automatic and direct EV adjustment (with the thumbwheel only) was reset to off.

For me, at least, this firmware update turned a generally reliable workhorse into somewhat of a question mark. This and some prior firmware issues with the T leave me wondering if Leica has a grasp on the electronics aspect of production.

Follow-up to the above . . . after several more outings with the M, I've had no further problems.  Battery life is as it was before the firmware update.  

Thinking my issues may have been somehow user-induced, I attempted to replicate what I thought might have been possible causes (e.g., accessing the SET menu screen with the bottom plate/grip removed, removing the battery with the camera switched on), but the settings reset did not recur.  Nor has the viewfinder blanked or dimmed.  All's well that continues well...

I installed the new FW this afternoon. All went to plan and, after a successful update, I reset my preferences.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. :)

If by preferences you mean Profiles, it is very easy to copy these to the card you are going to put new FW on and reinstate after you have updated FW. Last two options on Profile menu.

• Like 1

If by preferences you mean Profiles, it is very easy to copy these to the card you are going to put new FW on and reinstate after you have updated FW. Last two options on Profile menu.

Yes, I meant Profiles. Thank you for reminding me of the phrase ... somehow preferences seemed appropriate when I wrote it. Old age, maybe?

Actually I think the word preferences covers the matter better. The use of the word profiles could cause confusion with lens profiles, colour profiles, etc.

Umm-except that they are called Profiles in the camera's menu. Guess you can call them what you like but you may have people searching aimlessly for any other name.