Almost an MP 240 owner.....but I have one concern

The weight concern  was lugging it around all day. And would Leica's new model be lighter? I'm not as young as I used to be and I want photography to be a pleasure and not a chore. But you have all convinced me so I'm over the weight thing. 

However with the "ThumbsUp" the camera felt more balanced and almost lighter/easier to hold . But I don't own it yet....... this is 30 minutes in the store. 

This is why I like a sling strap like the BlackRapid Metro.  The M240 with the Nokton 35 II mounted is very heavy.  If I'm out walking all day I can adjust the camera so it hangs around the center of my lower back, which really makes a difference.  Having it hanging off of my neck or off to one side gets to me after a couple of hours, even with a lighter lens.

Foto Professional? I would not even buy à roll of film there...

Not only there, but I see a lot of ads from people who don't have a shop. Still, do I detect a thing against Foto Professional? 

This is why I like a sling strap like the BlackRapid Metro.  The M240 with the Nokton 35 II mounted is very heavy.  If I'm out walking all day I can adjust the camera so it hangs around the center of my lower back, which really makes a difference.  Having it hanging off of my neck or off to one side gets to me after a couple of hours, even with a lighter lens.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

I can't say anything about weight - I have a chrome Summilux 50mm ASPH and a chrome M-P240. All bought being very well aware of the weight penalty.

And to think I always complained about people who prefer form vs function... ! Too late and I love it :)

Congrats!

I don't think that M is a heavy camera, and have walked around different cities all day with M in hand with 35/1,4 FLE. Having said that I have just purchased a SH X1 for an even lighter walkabout camera. Please see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/245627-can-the-x1-replace-my-m-as-travel-camera-for-street-people/

• Like 1

I am only seventy years-old and in my experience, you won't notice the extra 3.5 ounces after a few days. If it helps, I use the stock Leica strap because it has the best gripping shoulder pad. It does not slide about, nor bite.

Now don't add a half case. That's more weight.

I was hoping this knowledgeable form could calm a concern I have. 

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an MP240 and a couple lenses. I'm thrilled with the current technology and everything about the camera. But..... lets say a new model comes out next year? Is there any chance it will weigh 20 to 25% less than the current model? For me a lighter 240 would be worth waiting for. You all know the history of Leica and how it designs its cameras.......What are the odds?

I'm very excited to join this group and look forward to abandoning Japanese camera menu's and all those useless features forever!   

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  

I've used Leicas since the screw-mount days (IIIf, IIIg etc.) and I cannot recall Leicas getting lighter. At least not feeling lighter. I'd love to see future Leicas less bulky, i.e. slimmer like the M6 of old but I doubt they'll get appreciably lighter, at least not to the point where you'll be able to tell the difference. Sure, they could throw in a lot more plastic but that does not seem to be the Leica way. Metal bodies, brass/metal lens housing, heavy glass - just not too much room to reduce weight without compromising these. 

I am only seventy years-old and in my experience, you won't notice the extra 3.5 ounces after a few days. If it helps, I use the stock Leica strap because it has the best gripping shoulder pad. It does not slide about, nor bite.

Now don't add a half case. That's more weight.

The stock strap however tends to mark the camera with the poky bits on the plastic covers.

Anyway the camera's weight is pretty typical for a compact full frame body. At 680 grams it compares to 755 grams for the Canon 6D, the smallest DSLR. And 600 grams for the Sony A7ii.

However when you take the lenses into account the M is smaller and lighter than another full frame system out there. For example an M with a Summilux 35 is 1 kilo. A Sony A7ii with a Distagon 35 is 1.23 kilos.

Edited by Mornnb

The stock strap however tends to mark the camera with the poky bits on the plastic covers.

Anyway the camera's weight is pretty typical for a compact full frame body. At 680 grams it compares to 755 grams for the Canon 6D, the smallest DSLR. And 600 grams for the Sony A7ii.

However when you take the lenses into account the M is smaller and lighter than another full frame system out there. For example an M with a Summilux 35 is 1 kilo. A Sony A7ii with a Distagon 35 is 1.23 kilos.

Use a stock strap and a half case. The poky bits on the plastic covers will not appear. It puts on some extra weight, but you will not notice it in a few days, because the case it somewhat thicker now and you will get a better Momentum/Torque: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Hi...I know exactly how you feel. I took the plunge, bought the MP 240 Safari on June 1st...I can't put it down. Its a dream to use, looks totally awesome and performs beyond my expectations and I had HIGH expectations!! I used to use Nikon, but to be frank got fed up of the camera doing everything and I was feeling disengaged. The MP took me back to real photography again. So if you like the M and you want to get back to taking your time and enjoying the experience of photography again...go get the MP240, Black, Chrome or Safari. Though I'm biased I just fell in love with the Safari and it come with a the awesome Cron 35mm lens...! Go for it...

Hi...I know exactly how you feel. I took the plunge, bought the MP 240 Safari on June 1st...I can't put it down. Its a dream to use, looks totally awesome and performs beyond my expectations and I had HIGH expectations!! I used to use Nikon, but to be frank got fed up of the camera doing everything and I was feeling disengaged. 

That was pretty much my experience, coming from a 5D Mark III. The M240 is my first Leica. The lenses have exceeded my expectations, and Canon's L lens had set very high expectations. There's nothing Canon makes in the league of the Summilux ASPH. The rangefinder is surprisingly as effective as a good autofocus system. When working with fast lenses, selecting the AF point over your subject with a joystick can often take more time than moving a focus tab. You have to observe and see the AF point over the persons eye, hit a joystick button about 5 times, then half shoot to focus, and then shoot. https://youtu.be/0i2_CHhp9Q4?t=75

Now I had no issues with the camera controlling everything, I felt I was fully in control of the 5D Mark III and usually had it in manual mode, and I found the camera a joy to use. But I wanted something that provided it's level of image quality and build quality in a much more compact form.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1