M8 body

agrefrath

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At some point it becomes uneconomical to repair an electronic/digital camera. It is usually much cheaper to replace it with a lightly used copy. One member on this forum just bought an M8 with 800 actuations for 1200Euros. My M8 is almost 6 years old, works perfectly, if it needed service- I would have it done. I simply like it too much to allow it to be non-operational. And it's Visible+Infrared capability is unique among commercial cameras.

Edited by Lenshacker
  • Like 1

So what point are you trying to make by this?

That the quality of Sony's output has been lacking from the beginning so that people upgrade whenever a new model is being released?

Does the output of a Sony camera get worse every day to a point it comes unacceptable?

Are the components in a Sony camera of inferior quality so it won't live as long as a Leica?

No - I'm not talking about the cameras as such, but about the owners. Leicas appear to be retired much later, if at all.

Could have multiple reasons. Not everyone has money for a new one. So they simply have to wait till the secondhand stuff comes financially in reach. 

Also, if a Leica breaks down in 3 years time, one would likely to get it fixed, partly because a new one cost much more. 

The Fuji XPro1 now only costs 900 euro including two primes. If, one day you need a body, you just order a new one for little money. 

Because of much lower price of even the A7 for instance, it's easier for people to upgrade if they get tempted by new bells and whistles of the A7II. 

Yes, but the 2004 Digilux2 and 2006 M8 are still going strong for many owners. What Sony model would have the same track record?

Lack of inventory? The only two cases I can remember are the DMR (which is  a special, convoluted case) and the LCD screen of one batch of M8.2 cameras. For the rest?

Yes! I can confirm the Digilux 2 still running strong :) Unfortunately I never manage to compress a picture beyond 500k without sacrificing IQ. This one looks much better on flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/26238781@N05/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rivi1969