Titanium bodies in the wild

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Also 35:1.4 v2:

• Like 1

These 2 are Summicon50mm v2 , which I keep finding pairs really nice with my 35mm Pre-ASPH Lux (admittedly I'm not super experienced, but I love the combo ). 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Now the not-so-good news.  I have a black band on the left of 3 or 4 of the shots from this roll (inc. the portrait posted above).   

The worst-effected shots appear to be after I changed lenses, and also the first roll of the film (the cats - a right of passage for any new camera surely).

A couple of other shots have the same issue much lighter. Do you think I have an issue, or perhaps did something I shouldn't have  ?    

This camera did undergo a service on arrival to Australia before I used it. 

Cheers ! 

Edited by grahamc

This behaviour may have been at higher shutter speeds by the way, which is the only other thing that changed for these shots . I didn't note down settings for this roll but the portrait was certainly taken at F4 so I assume I was at 1000/1 .  Likewise the photo of the cats is the only other image on the roll with an open aperture so I assume high shutter speed also.  

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/21/2021 at 2:11 AM, cobbu2 said:

Very nice specimen, congratulations! Let's see some pics when you can.

One of my favorite films to use in my titanium M6 was P3200TMZ (reissued by Kodak a few years ago)... I loved the gritty "film noir" look.

Have fun!

M6, 15/4.5 Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar (V1 with adapter)

I don’t see why photo’s from a titanium M6 need a separate thread since we have one specially for photo’s from film M’s. 

On 8/30/2021 at 6:35 AM, grahamc said:

This behaviour may have been at higher shutter speeds by the way, which is the only other thing that changed for these shots . I didn't note down settings for this roll but the portrait was certainly taken at F4 so I assume I was at 1000/1 .  Likewise the photo of the cats is the only other image on the roll with an open aperture so I assume high shutter speed also.  

It certainly has nothing to do with a titanium body

Edited by otto.f

9 hours ago, otto.f said:

I don’t see why photo’s from a titanium M6 need a separate thread since we have one specially for photo’s from film M’s. 

9 hours ago, otto.f said:

It certainly has nothing to do with a titanium body

Absolutely correct, however, this thread is about Graham's particular camera and his experience with it, as well as how Leicas with titanium bodies are actually used as opposed to sitting on shelves as collectibles. What's the harm in that?

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 1

Harm is a big word, it doesn’t harm me at least. But I see this thread more in line with the tradition of ‘I love my M….’ threads which mostly contain images of proud owners of a specific M. To post photo’s made with a specific M6 is a pity for viewers of the Film M thread and a question regarding a shutter curtain/exposure problem will have potentially more answers/viewers when you ask it a broader public, including all film M users and not only titanium owners. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, otto.f said:

It's not an image thread I think @cobbu2was just sharing my excitement for my new camera.  And nothing wrong with that IMO 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, otto.f said:

Harm is a big word, it doesn’t harm me at least. But I see this thread more in line with the tradition of ‘I love my M….’ threads which mostly contain images of proud owners of a specific M. To post photo’s made with a specific M6 is a pity for viewers of the Film M thread and a question regarding a shutter curtain/exposure problem will have potentially more answers/viewers when you ask it a broader public, including all film M users and not only titanium owners. 

I agree that generally it would be nice to keep film photos in the film thread, for people to enjoy (we hope !), and noted .  There are plenty of threads that go slightly off topic, while remaining on the general topic of the original thread (perhaps one could even say "most" threads, as that is the nature of discussion).   I don't think this is any different to that, and any images were posted in general conversation about the topic .  

Thats good advice about posting the fault elsewhere, thanks!  Since it did take almost 2 months for anyone to notice it here.   

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, cobbu2 said:

I’m no expert at all, but possibly uneven shutter curtain movement? You mention it happened at 1/1000 sec but how about slower shutter speeds? 

Yeah the camera has been away since posting those - apparently something to do with the braking needing adjusting.  It did only happen at the highest shutter speeds as only 1000/1 shots were affected.  By all accounts not difficult to fix although it's a shame the camera has been away since the first roll 

• Like 1

Graham,

out of topic again ...

With my decades use of so many Leica M, I know that those cloth (very nice old design with advanttages I appreciate a lot, quiet, vibrationless, etc.) shutter mechanisms

do have some trade-in as here, unreliable 1/1000s, plus subject to burn-a-hole, need adjustment from time to time, and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Graham,

out of topic again ...

With my decades use of so many Leica M, I know that those cloth (very nice old design with advanttages I appreciate a lot, quiet, vibrationless, etc.) shutter mechanisms

do have some trade-in as here, unreliable 1/1000s, plus subject to burn-a-hole, need adjustment from time to time, and so on.

thanks Arnaud, that's good to know 

33 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

cloth (very nice old design with advanttages I appreciate a lot, quiet, vibrationless, etc.) shutter mechanisms

Something that is super interesting is that it has ben proven multiple times in the recent years that the cloth shutter isn't the reason for the shutter being quiet and vibrationless. Its more the whole camera assembly around the shutter curtain that dampen the sound really really well. ( at least thats what my repair man told me before installing one in my camera ) 

When installing a titanium shutter inside a Analogue M, instead of the normal cloth shutter it stays as quit and vibrationless as before. 

Since the shutter can be changed to a titanium one, I assume Leica never switched because of the easy availability / easy repair / easy replacement of cloth shutters in comparison to titanium ones. ( Or just out of tradition wich I also wouldn't doubt  ) There are some Videos online that show Leica with Titanium Shutters if you want to check it out.

That said its amazing that Leicas M cameras are build so quit and dampened! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Something that is super interesting is that it has ben proven multiple times in the recent years that the cloth shutter isn't the reason for the shutter being quiet and vibrationless. Its more the whole camera assembly around the shutter curtain that dampen the sound really really well. ( at least thats what my repair man told me before installing one in my camera ) 

When installing a titanium shutter inside a Analogue M, instead of the normal cloth shutter it stays as quit and vibrationless as before. 

Since the shutter can be changed to a titanium one, I assume Leica never switched because of the easy availability / easy repair / easy replacement of cloth shutters in comparison to titanium ones. ( Or just out of tradition wich I also wouldn't doubt  ) There are some Videos online that show Leica with Titanium Shutters if you want to check it out.

That said its amazing that Leicas M cameras are build so quit and dampened! 

Hello Kriehuber,

Welcome to the Forum.

Another reason for using cotton is that it works really well. Look at all of those Leica cameras out there with cotton shutter curtains that are older than you are that are still working just fine. It is an example of something that is an older technology that works just fine in today's World.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Another reason for using cotton is that it works really well. Look at all of those Leica cameras out there with cotton shutter curtains that are older than you are that are still working just fine. It is an example of something that is an older technology that works just fine in today's World.

I never questioned that cloth shutters work well, they obviously do work really well. Both work really well and are really reliable. Shutters will fail and break for a lot of reasons.

I would assume that Leicas are so reliable because of their internal mechanisms and their good repairability not the material of their shutter. 

I just wanted to share this interesting fact. 

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Like 1

Hello Kriehuber,

Having appropriate, high quality materials, like cotton for a shutter curtain is part of having high quality anything else.

And, that something is old & has been around for a long time does not necessarily mean that that something is inferior. For example: High quality bricks that are used in construction are the same materials made the same way that they have been for thousands of years. High quality brickwork technology was old technology when the Romans were using it thousands of years ago & a lot of their old brickwork is still fine today. Mortar for holding bricks, etc. together may be better & worse at various times but many of the bricks themselves & the buildings they built are still here & they are still OK. Thousands of years later.

By the way, 1 of the reasons that Leica cloth shutters work so well is that they are big, overbuilt shutters that run slowly with simple, robust mechanisms.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Talking about shutter in Leica cameras.

As I use R and M over years, I used to reserve 1/1000 (and 1/2000 on Leicaflex SL) for R over M, when possible.

Those metallic horizontal-run shutters on Leicaflex SL never let me down, as reliable as the whole SL.

Out of curiosity, I don't use them for so long, I just 'test' (looking behind SL's open back door), to hear the very low pitch *, for metallic blinds.

I don't know if those of SL are made with titanium foils *

* comparing to Nikon F2 for example, the other workhorse