Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All 

Since currently all my cameras (and lenses) are black, I'm thinking of getting either a Titanium or Silver M6 next.   I know, they all take the same photos but it's time for a change :P

I really like the Titanium bodies in a lot of photos I've seen, although some photos they look quite a gold colour, which would probably be a little too blingy for my taste.  Does anyone have one, and if so can you please let me know your impressions of the Titan finish in real life?   

It'd also be amazing to see a Titanium body next to black or silver if anyone has time / can be bothered.

Whether I go Silver or Titan, this will pair up with my Black digital M and I plan to roll with only this pairing for quite some time  

Thanks in advance ! 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The title of this thread caught my eye, and "In the Wild" truly describes my titanium M6. I purchased it in DC in early 2012; a long story, but I found out the previous owner was an award-winning  photojournalist for Newsweek. I continued to travel with it and even though it's in severe "user" condition (titanium and "user" hardly ever being used in the same sentence) it continues to perform flawlessly. Since it had so many scuffs, scratches, and a few dents, I was never afraid to take it out an

Thanks for all the help with this thread, my camera arrived and I'm really happy with it !   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

While I can't offer a comparison between two bodies, I can offer you a view of a titanium 35mm Summilux on a silver chrome M-A.  This is my favourite combination for travel.  Very small and convenient.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder a

Posted Images

The titanium plating on the M6 (not solid titanium like on some other limited edition cameras) does have a gold tinge, sort of a champagne gold and not the deep gold of many other titanium nitride plated components you see. I don't have a comparison to show you but a friend had one and purely in my opinion it wasn't wearing gracefully when compared with a silver M6. 

Posted (edited)

I was fan of titanium 'coated' M and lenses but never see the right hue on line in pictures, as the real thing.

I can have some explanations :

- the Leica Titanium coating hues can vary with time

- even with my titanium coated taken in pics, when I change the lighting, the hues changed more than prediction

- calibration of viewing screens can change a quite bit, of course

- when I take the pics with flash, nothing in common with daylight concerning the titanium hues

- in real life, when I have one 'Ti coated', changing the lighting direction can change the hues between the lens and the body

Here, I have some ideas, but having the thing in hand may be the best judge.

Some examples I posted here and there to confirm what I wrote 😇

On my screen, this is what is the closest to the real hue of same lighting, seen here ...

( daylight here )

then some variations 

Same lens with artificial light comparing with some black Nikkor/Canon

I don't know if on your screen Graham, you can see some subtle hues differences

but the best is to see the real M6 in titanium coated

as side note, the 'real calf leather' grain imitation is soft and fragile (more than plain M6 leatherette)

Edited by a.noctilux
3 hours ago, 250swb said:

The titanium plating on the M6 (not solid titanium like on some other limited edition cameras) does have a gold tinge, sort of a champagne gold and not the deep gold of many other titanium nitride plated components you see. I don't have a comparison to show you but a friend had one and purely in my opinion it wasn't wearing gracefully when compared with a silver M6. 

Thanks @250swb.. Understand regarding the colour and yes that's how it looks in some photos to me also.  I should probably have mentioned if I get a Titan it would be the TTL which was brass top/bottom plates.  Not sure if this would make any difference regarding the ageing - what specifically was making it look below par, in your opinion ?  Cheers again 

51 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

And more here, link to the thread ... concerning the cool looking pre-asph 35mm Summilux-M titanium coated which I purchased for the M6 Ti

we have black plain Leica lenses as comparision 😉

on my screen this hue is close to the real hue with same lighting again !

That lens looks lovely doesn't it :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I was fan of titanium 'coated' M and lenses but never see the right hue on line in pictures, as the real thing.

I can have some explanations :

- the Leica Titanium coating hues can vary with time

- even with my titanium coated taken in pics, when I change the lighting, the hues changed more than prediction

- calibration of viewing screens can change a quite bit, of course

- when I take the pics with flash, nothing in common with daylight concerning the titanium hues

- in real life, when I have one 'Ti coated', changing the lighting direction can change the hues between the lens and the body

Here, I have some ideas, but having the thing in hand may be the best judge.

Some examples I posted here and there to confirm what I wrote 😇

On my screen, this is what is the closest to the real hue of same lighting, seen here ...

( daylight here )

then some variations 

Same lens with artificial light comparing with some black Nikkor/Canon

I don't know if on your screen Graham, you can see some subtle hues differences

but the best is to see the real M6 in titanium coated

as side note, the 'real calf leather' grain imitation is soft and fragile (more than plain M6 leatherette)

Thanks, I really like these.  This is the tone of the Titanium that I see online and really like.  So if this is a close representation of real world then I think I'd really like it - It looks like a 'gun metal' colouring .  The photos I've seen where I am not so keen is when the Titanium M6 looks like quite a light champagne/yellow/gold colour.  I'm sure it probably does in some lighting .

And maybe those 'champagne' ones are taking with flash perhaps.

But the photos you've posted are definitely good examples of how I hope it will look .  I think I probably need to see one first.

If I get one it will probably be TTL; which comes with a brown leather.  It does look quite nice but I'll more than likely change it to a black.  Depending how much I like it of course. 

I assume also that if I'm fortunate enough to get some Titanium lenses in the near future, they will pair nicely with both Black and Titan bodies , but probably less so with a silver body ? 

40 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Thanks @250swb.. Understand regarding the colour and yes that's how it looks in some photos to me also.  I should probably have mentioned if I get a Titan it would be the TTL which was brass top/bottom plates.  Not sure if this would make any difference regarding the ageing - what specifically was making it look below par, in your opinion ?  Cheers again 

If you are after a TTL version (good luck) you will probably have better luck. My pals M6 was the standard zinc top plate and the titanium plating had the same bubbles appearing as are typical on the black chrome version, and despite it supposedly being a tougher surface plating than both chrome and black chrome the titanium was wearing off along the edges in places.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, 250swb said:

If you are after a TTL version (good luck) you will probably have better luck. My pals M6 was the standard zinc top plate and the titanium plating had the same bubbles appearing as are typical on the black chrome version, and despite it supposedly being a tougher surface plating than both chrome and black chrome the titanium was wearing off along the edges in places.

Ah got it yes thanks.  Yep hopefully no bubbling issues with the TTL.  Finding one at a decent price may be a challenge however 

Edited by grahamc
Posted (edited)

While I can't offer a comparison between two bodies, I can offer you a view of a titanium 35mm Summilux on a silver chrome M-A.  This is my favourite combination for travel.  Very small and convenient.

Edited by harmen
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, harmen said:

While I can't offer a comparison between two bodies, I can offer you a view of a titanium 35mm Summilux on a silver chrome M-A.  This is my favourite combination for travel.  Very small and convenient.

thanks, looks lovely ! I might get a silver body yet then.  quite surprised actually the similarity between the titan and the chrome here. I did't expect the titanium lenses to suit a silver body for some reason, not sure why. Do you find they pair up nice then with no clash ?  if I purchase a silver chrome body it will certainly be cheaper than the titanium body and I have my eye on some titan summiluxes  

Edited by grahamc

The typical pitfall with the titanium M6’s is that their weight is exactly the same as the standard versions. Whereas you normally seek titanium to reduce weight. So it’s just a cosmetic thing. If you’re looking for cosmetic I’d go for gold copies, for instance the Bhoumibol version. 

10 hours ago, grahamc said:

Do you find they pair up nice then with no clash ?

I personally don't find they clash, but that is a matter of opinion of course.  The titan coating is distinctly different and I can see the appeal of a titan body, ideally with a titan lens as its companion.  That said, I mostly have black lenses, none silver, and I've not worried about how they pair with my bodies.  I do enjoy that my MP is black paint while the M-A is silver chrome, so they each have a character of their own.

26 minutes ago, harmen said:

I personally don't find they clash, but that is a matter of opinion of course.  The titan coating is distinctly different and I can see the appeal of a titan body, ideally with a titan lens as its companion.  That said, I mostly have black lenses, none silver, and I've not worried about how they pair with my bodies.  I do enjoy that my MP is black paint while the M-A is silver chrome, so they each have a character of their own.

Thanks so much - We have similar tastes, this is exactly the colour combo I am thinking about .  I do like the idea of the silver chrome body with my black lenses (probably more than Titanium body with black) .  So if the titan lenses fit in well with silver (which it seems like they do) then I may just save money and have silver body to pair with my black . The titanium looks nice on the Silver IMO and must look even better on the black too .  Then once we are out of lockdown here I can concentrate not he real business of taking photos with them :P 

Nice MP and MA btw !! 

1 hour ago, harmen said:

matter of opinion

Talking about taste: I would the swap neck straps here. The red one on the silver and the olive one on the black body. I guess you intended the olive come to match with titanium but they don’t really approach as far as I cAn judge from photo’s.