Titanium bodies in the wild

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And, because you asked, here is what it looks like when you do different combinations.  😄

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, otto.f said:

The typical pitfall with the titanium M6’s is that their weight is exactly the same as the standard versions. Whereas you normally seek titanium to reduce weight. So it’s just a cosmetic thing. If you’re looking for cosmetic I’d go for gold copies, for instance the Bhoumibol version. 

True. I don’t think I could carry the Bhoumibil off, however (not to mention afford it :D ) 

I like the dull/Matt finish of the titanium - aswell as the fact the TTLs shouldn’t get paint bubbles  

As you said, nice to worry about the important things in life or at least dream a little 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

True. I don’t think I could carry the Bhoumibil off, however (not to mention afford it :D ) 

I like the dull/Matt finish of the titanium - aswell as the fact the TTLs shouldn’t get paint bubbles  

As you said, nice to worry about the important things in life or at least dream a little 

I've gone back through archives and if I were you I'd check, check, and triple check that the TTL top plate is brass. The consensus is that it's a zinc top plate with a brass bottom plate and it was only the black paint special editions such as the 'Millennial' at the end of the TTL run that had a brass top plate. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, 250swb said:

I've gone back through archives and if I were you I'd check, check, and triple check that the TTL top plate is brass. The consensus is that it's a zinc top plate with a brass bottom plate and it was only the black paint special editions such as the 'Millennial' at the end of the TTL run that had a brass top plate. 

Thanks Steve . OK I'll do that .  I had read a few times that they were brass tops however I'll do some more digging with a keener eye now, thanks for the heads up .  

I did read consistently that the M6 classics were Zinc tops (it's not the classic you are thinking of is it ?) .  The research I did always seemed to end up that the classics were zinc and special edition TTLs (inc the Titan) were Brass.  Obviously I could be wrong. . 

If the TTL isn't brass topped then there seems little point in the extra expense versus chrome.   (And of course if they are, there also seems little point in the extra expense versus chrome :P )

To be honest the Millennium TTL is the version I really want, however I don't have much hope one coming up at the right price so thought I'd get something in the interim and figure it out later 

Edited by grahamc

15 hours ago, otto.f said:

...for instance the Bhoumibol version...

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otto! You should have included a Government Health Warning in that post! SUCH a hideous camera!!!

Leica should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for copying, so blatantly, all those Russian 'Luxus' fakes. Unbelievably tacky.

Philip.

P.S. : No offence intended, of course, to anyone here who has one....

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grahamc said:

...To be honest the Millennium TTL is the version I really want, however I don't have much hope one coming up at the right price so thought I'd get something in the interim and figure it out later...

Probably a very good plan. Even if you do buy a 'regular' body and decide to sell it on when/if you get a Titan you are unlikely to be out of pocket very much and in fact, the way things have been going for the last couple of years, you might actually turn a profit if you buy wisely in the first instance.

Enjoy the chase!

Philip.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pippy said:

Probably a very good plan. Even if you do buy a 'regular' body and decide to sell it on when/if you get a Titan you are unlikely to be out of pocket very much and in fact, the way things have been going for the last couple of years, you might actually turn a profit if you buy wisely in the first instance.

Enjoy the chase!

Philip.

Thanks Philip, sounds like plan 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grahamc said:

To be honest the Millennium TTL is the version I really want, however I don't have much hope one coming up at the right price so thought I'd get something in the interim and figure it out later 

At the risk of being annoying, I then have to aim my camera a little differently and include in the frame the new old stock Dragon that my wife found a few years ago... Keep making plans for future acquisitions!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pippy said:

SUCH a hideous camera

And the snake leather comes free with it, as the cherry on the cake 🤣 This camera has the price for Leica’s greatest derailment towards vulgarity. There’s also an R3 in that direction. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, otto.f said:

And the snake leather comes free with it, as the cherry on the cake 🤣 This camera has the price for Leica’s greatest derailment towards vulgarity. There’s also an R3 in that direction. 

I thought it was quite tastefully done. What is it you guys don’t like about it ? @pippy

:p 

This mir's golden page is a must-see !

I didn't know this golden M3 existed, even Leicameter MC !

then this page to see...

strange to learn that

M6 Platinum Dummy was made

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, grahamc said:

I thought it was quite tastefully done. What is it you guys don’t like about it ? @pippy...

'Gilding the Lily' pretty much sums it up. 'Gold-plate' and 'Tasteful' are (IMO) mutually-exclusive concepts.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

• 3 weeks later...

The title of this thread caught my eye, and "In the Wild" truly describes my titanium M6. I purchased it in DC in early 2012; a long story, but I found out the previous owner was an award-winning  photojournalist for Newsweek. I continued to travel with it and even though it's in severe "user" condition (titanium and "user" hardly ever being used in the same sentence) it continues to perform flawlessly. Since it had so many scuffs, scratches, and a few dents, I was never afraid to take it out and shoot with it.

This is what happens to a high-mileage titanium M6:

Cheers, Allan

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 10:32 AM, cobbu2 said:

The title of this thread caught my eye, and "In the Wild" truly describes my titanium M6. I purchased it in DC in early 2012; a long story, but I found out the previous owner was an award-winning  photojournalist for Newsweek. I continued to travel with it and even though it's in severe "user" condition (titanium and "user" hardly ever being used in the same sentence) it continues to perform flawlessly. Since it had so many scuffs, scratches, and a few dents, I was never afraid to take it out and shoot with it.

This is what happens to a high-mileage titanium M6:

Cheers, Allan

Hi Allan ,  Thanks for the images - I just saw your reply.  interesting story and I like the user camera too ! Very cool how you were never worried to use it due to the condition you purchased it in, must've assisted some great shots and experiences I'm sure 

Edited by grahamc
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grahamc said:

Hi Allan ,  Thanks for the images - I just saw your reply.  interesting story and I like the user camera too ! Very cool how you were never worried to use it due to the condition you purchased it in, must've assisted some great shots and experiences I'm sure 

Absolutely! I often wonder how many titanium Leicas sit on a shelf or are underutilized to keep them in pristine condition. I’ve definitely been keeping it exercised; if it could talk, I’m sure it could tell some great stories! I do know the previous owner covered some presidential campaigns in the early and mid 2000s.

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 1