The winner is announced!! Vienna "One Challenge 2015"

andybarton

Munich was overflowing thanks to the Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund football match so we carried on through the driving rain, often invisible lane markings and frequent roadworks to Salzburg (I feel sure we'll spot Herr Mozart on the street at any moment). Expecting to make Vienna by early evening if all goes to plan.

Pete.

• Like 1

Munich was overflowing thanks to the Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund football match so we carried on through the driving rain, often invisible lane markings and frequent roadworks to Salzburg (I feel sure we'll spot Herr Mozart on the street at any moment). Expecting to make Vienna by early evening if all goes to plan.

Pete.

Don't bet on spotting Amadeus - he ran away from Salzburg as soon as he could! Just to make tourist offices in other Austrian cities happy

• Like 1

Further to the advice on Vienna transport tickets, I bought my 72 hour ticket (and CAT transfer) via the official Vienna transport website (www.wienerlinien.at).

I have just received an e-mail purporting to be from them (in German) which (according to my rudimentary German) says that they have suffered a data breach and that personal data of customers using their website has been hacked.  It also appears to state that customers payment details are secure......I used PayPal for the transaction anyway.  Here's the text, in case I've got it wrong (German speakers please!):

Sehr geehrte Kundin! Sehr geehrter Kunde!

Wir sind darauf aufmerksam gemacht worden, dass KundInnendaten aus dem Wiener-Linien-Online-Shop veröffentlicht wurden. Nach unserem derzeitigen Informationsstand wurden bei einem Dienstleister, der den Online-Shop für die Wiener Linien und viele andere Verkehrsunternehmen betreibt, Datensätze gestohlen. Es handelt sich dabei nicht um Zahlungsdaten, sondern um Angaben wie Name, Adresse, E-Mail-Adresse, Geburtsdatum, Kundennummer und Telefonnummer. Nach unserem aktuellen Kenntnisstand gehen wir davon aus, dass nur Daten, die erstmals vor 2010 eingegeben wurden, betroffen sind.

Für den Vorfall trägt unser Dienstleister die Verantwortung. Wir möchten Sie aber dennoch in aller Form um Entschuldigung bitten. Datensicherheit ist uns ein großes Anliegen – unser Online-Shop ist von mehreren unabhängigen Institutionen zertifiziert – und wir arbeiten derzeit auf Hochtouren gemeinsam mit dem Unternehmen an der Aufklärung. Selbstverständlich haben wir auch sämtliche rechtlichen Schritte und weitere Sicherheitsmaßnahmen ergriffen. Ein unabhängiger Sachverständiger wird unseren extern angesiedelten Online-Shop noch einmal unter die Lupe nehmen.

Falls Sie weitere Fragen zu unseren Sicherheitsmaßnahmen haben, wenden Sie sich bitte an das Team des Online-Ticketshops unter ticketshop@wienerlinien.at oder per Telefon an +43 1 7909 100

Ihr Online-Ticketshop-Team

Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG
Erdbergstraße 202
1030 Wien

I can't at present verify the veracity of this, but I just thought folks would like to know.

Regards

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Further to the advice on Vienna transport tickets, I bought my 72 hour ticket (and CAT transfer) via the official Vienna transport website (www.wienerlinien.at).

I have just received an e-mail purporting to be from them (in German) which (according to my rudimentary German) says that they have suffered a data breach and that personal data of customers using their website has been hacked. It also appears to state that customers payment details are secure......I used PayPal for the transaction anyway. Here's the text, in case I've got it wrong (German speakers please!):

Sehr geehrte Kundin! Sehr geehrter Kunde!

Wir sind darauf aufmerksam gemacht worden, dass KundInnendaten aus dem Wiener-Linien-Online-Shop veröffentlicht wurden. Nach unserem derzeitigen Informationsstand wurden bei einem Dienstleister, der den Online-Shop für die Wiener Linien und viele andere Verkehrsunternehmen betreibt, Datensätze gestohlen. Es handelt sich dabei nicht um Zahlungsdaten, sondern um Angaben wie Name, Adresse, E-Mail-Adresse, Geburtsdatum, Kundennummer und Telefonnummer. Nach unserem aktuellen Kenntnisstand gehen wir davon aus, dass nur Daten, die erstmals vor 2010 eingegeben wurden, betroffen sind.

Für den Vorfall trägt unser Dienstleister die Verantwortung. Wir möchten Sie aber dennoch in aller Form um Entschuldigung bitten. Datensicherheit ist uns ein großes Anliegen – unser Online-Shop ist von mehreren unabhängigen Institutionen zertifiziert – und wir arbeiten derzeit auf Hochtouren gemeinsam mit dem Unternehmen an der Aufklärung. Selbstverständlich haben wir auch sämtliche rechtlichen Schritte und weitere Sicherheitsmaßnahmen ergriffen. Ein unabhängiger Sachverständiger wird unseren extern angesiedelten Online-Shop noch einmal unter die Lupe nehmen.

Falls Sie weitere Fragen zu unseren Sicherheitsmaßnahmen haben, wenden Sie sich bitte an das Team des Online-Ticketshops unter ticketshop@wienerlinien.at oder per Telefon an +43 1 7909 100

Ihr Online-Ticketshop-Team

Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG

Erdbergstraße 202

1030 Wien

I can't at present verify the veracity of this, but I just thought folks would like to know.

Regards

It does also say that it only affects data that was entered before 2010, based upon their current understanding....

• Like 2

It does also say that it only affects data that was entered before 2010, based upon their current understanding....

Thanks Simon. 'Current understanding'being the critical phrase........ Hope you get some sustenance soon!

See you Saturday

Regards

Buy the train tickets as you go through customs at the airport. I was thinking of using the city cycles but ended up buying the 72 hour pass.

Currently lost somewhere in Central but it's ok I have beer!

My hotel is very nice and by a U station. Regretting my gear selection now but nothing I can do about that (without spending ££££ in one of the camera shops). See you all on Saturday!

Regretting my gear selection now but nothing I can do about that (without spending ££££ in one of the camera shops). See you all on Saturday!

What did you forget to take with you james???

Wide angle or a Nocti or.......???

CU on Saturday

John

Buy the train tickets as you go through customs at the airport. I was thinking of using the city cycles but ended up buying the 72 hour pass.

Currently lost somewhere in Central but it's ok I have beer!

My hotel is very nice and by a U station. Regretting my gear selection now but nothing I can do about that (without spending ££££ in one of the camera shops). See you all on Saturday!

Westlicht will have everything you need ;)

The 72hrs and 48hrs tickets are nice to have but not the cheapest way to use the public transportation system in Vienna. There is a week ticket, valid from Monday through Sunday which is rather cheaper but can only be bought from tobaconists (shop labelled with TABAK).

The Vienna card costs more because it contains many coupons which let you buy tickets for attractions at reduced prices. The reductions seem to be the same as many of us can have anyway, being "of age" - retired, that is.

Sorry, I don't have the prices handy. It was all told by the gal at the tourist information desk to a party in front of me.

• Like 1

I'll be in Vienna for Thursday evening but I'm not sure what time since I'll be a passenger in Robert's car but if we make it for a reasonable time then, Yes!  Will let you know how we're doing by text or voice as we approach and hopefully we'll be in time for a nosh and natter.  (Is your phone number the same as it was in Copenhagen? Mine's unchanged.)  Friday sounds like a good idea too but I don't know Vienna so I can't suggest anywhere I'm afraid.

Pete.

I've just had a most pleasant dinner at Leupold's which is nicely located near the Schottisches Tor. They say that they can easily accomodate a party of 6 to eight or more if given notice. They're not cheap but not extravagant, either. Party of two was €85, all included but tips. They have their menu printed in English as well.

Anyone interested? If so, please answer this post until Friday noon. Should there be an insufficient number of seats available, the first to reply will get them.

• Like 1

I've just had a most pleasant dinner at Leupold's which is nicely located near the Schottisches Tor. They say that they can easily accomodate a party of 6 to eight or more if given notice. They're not cheap but not extravagant, either. Party of two was €85, all included but tips. They have their menu printed in English as well.

Anyone interested? If so, please answer this post until Friday noon. Should there be an insufficient number of seats available, the first to reply will get them.

Pop, we've just eaten there also. If only I knew what you looked like.

Agree that the food is decent and also it's comfortable to sit in.

Happy to eat there again tomorrow evening unless others suggest otherwise.

Pete/Robert, can you hear me  :) ?

• Like 1

Pete and Robert got here around 10pm and ate a good curry.

Stefan, Lars and I led them astray.

I have booked the city tour by bike at 230pm.

I will probably do Hofburg in the morning but not before 1030am.

Edited by Sandokan

Elderly chap with wife; tasting the wine before ordering a bottle of the red house wine? Second table just left of the door? We had the first table left of the door.

Elderly? I certainly feel it, have a stinking cold- the wine last night was medicinal :) .

Were you and I facing each other? Tie and jacket? Your wife offered you some of her sausage and you declined?

Incidentally, your wife was gracious enough to acknowledge us when we sat down, and also nodded goodbye when you left.