Odd Leica M4-2??

dennersten

A not unknown variant : Lager displays several variations in the writings.... "Leitz Wetzlar" with "made in canada" as the linked item... or "made by leitz canada" on the back... or simply "canada" on the back : this last ,also with simply "Leitz" on top, which seems to be the most common engraving , on numbers in the 1.5xx.xxx. Variations exist also in the strap lugs (chrome or black) ... the least common ones are probably the first series with red dot in front.

M4-2, though not so much considered as a collector's item, has indeed many variants... including the "unofficial" chrome items...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I have never seen this type of top plate. How common was that? Little confusing both Wetzlar and made in Canada :)

It was a confusing period, the last M4-P cameras were marked 'Made in Canada' but they were assembled at Wetzlar. The M4-2 may be talked down, but as ever a camera being used makes better pictures than one that isn't.

Steve

• 1 month later...
The early M4-2 was a streamlined production item to lower costs. It is not considered a very good model.

I never understood the "racism" against the M4-2 and the M4-P, to be honest, they are the cameras that saved Leitz, the removal of the self timer and the "rationalisation" of the productive process including a better control of the tolerances that avoided hand fitting, shimming etc.. from an engineering point of view would classify them as "higher quality" products than the previous Leicas...and I speak as an M3, M4-P and M5 owner.

BTW, if somebody is interested, I've a 1980 M4-P...yes according to the serial number it's a M4-2 but it's a legit P, it's the camera number 1532410 and came with a thin 90mm Elmarit serial number 3066101, I copy and paste some pretty bad cell pics from another board:

http://i44.tinypic.com/bjfuya.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/ap06o.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/s2dy5f.jpg

This is the sticker of the Italian distributor, it reads "distributore Polyphoto S.P.A.":

http://i41.tinypic.com/24y4oxe.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yya2k0.jpg

BTW, why on this board my pics don't work?

Edited by Cuthbert
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never understood the "racism" against the M4-2 and the M4-P

We might have a language issue here. Racism does not apply. Perhaps nationalism, or simple preference?

The M4-P is, in my experience, very good in particular because it has the frame for 75mm.

I never understood the "racism" against the M4-2 and the M4-P, to be honest, they are the cameras that saved Leitz, ....

And, also were the cameras that convinced Leitz/Leica that the "classic" shape/style introduced with M3 was a precious value not to be abandoned.... and the success of M9 and M240 demonstrates that is really like this... :)

Thanks for your link... your M4 P with "out of batch" s/n is an interesting item (and I like to see it came from Italy... :cool:... Polyphoto was the last importer before the rather recent establishing of Leica Italy)

And, also were the cameras that convinced Leitz/Leica that the "classic" shape/style introduced with M3 was a precious value not to be abandoned.... and the success of M9 and M240 demonstrates that ...)

To affirm the same, there have been smaller, lighter RF cameras but they were not robust and most did not accept Leica's lenses. Leica's lenses cemented their body form factor into their aura of quality.

It is all good.

And, also were the cameras that convinced Leitz/Leica that the "classic" shape/style introduced with M3 was a precious value not to be abandoned.... and the success of M9 and M240 demonstrates that is really like this... :)

Thanks for your link... your M4 P with "out of batch" s/n is an interesting item (and I like to see it came from Italy... :cool:... Polyphoto was the last importer before the rather recent establishing of Leica Italy)

Yeah, I bought it from a famous repairer in Verona, Castelli, perhaps you know him...that's the reason why I think it's totally original, and I paid 600 euros for the camera, the lens and the MR-4 (that I don't really use anyway but looks cool on the M4.

Perhaps when I'm back in Italy I'll take more decent pics,I haven't used the camera much, just a single test film to check it out it was working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to get back to the offered M4-2:

The lens release button makes me worry: I know this only from later M4-2 and M4-P models,

the early M4-2 had the same mushroom-button type like M4.

Any explanation?

Thanks

Thomas

p.s: asking silly questions, here I have one more:

Ordered this M4-P with M6 finder type window:

http://imgur.com/jbGv9gx

Does anyone have an approx. number, how many of these where built (chrome & black ones?)

Many thanks

Thomas

Edited by duckrider

p.s: asking silly questions, here I have one more:

Ordered this M4-P with M6 finder type window:

imgur: the simple image sharer

Does anyone have an approx. number, how many of these where built (chrome & black ones?)

You should probably have started a new thread on this.

The later M4-P went though a crossover period ending in single flash socket and flush windows and despite the engraving the last thousand are made in Wetzlar and not Canada. I have a black one. But if yours fits into that last thousand with single socket and flush windows it must be very rare as most are black. They are the M6 without a meter.

https://www.cameraquest.com/m4pm6.htm

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Which is the s/n of the M4-P ? Isn't readable on the picture... but probably, as above said, is a 1.69x.xxx of the last batch... in chrome , is one of the rarest M4-P by sure (almost as the 10 or so "70th" mis.engraved "1813-1983" :cool:)

I'll tell as soon as possible, waiting for the cam urgently!;)

I'll tell as soon as possible, waiting for the cam urgently!;)

So here I'm back, little gem did arrive less than hour ago;):

Thanks god there is no zinc corrosion on the top plate (look at this small pimple left above the timeselctor). But backdoor has at the upper region strong signs of corrosion, the door is only to open at ~60° without force.

All in all I'm very satiesfied with this puchase.:)

...although only a 164....no.:o

Thomas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by duckrider

Compliments ! As you write, not a "last batch" but anyway a rare chrome M4-P with M6 look : I wonder if it is a Wetzlar made item, despite the "Canadian" engraving.... someone (don't remember when and where) said that NOT ONLY the last 1000 M4-P were assembled in Wetzlar , as Steve wrote, but "some others more".... :confused:

No lights without shadow....:o

I had to recognise, that the rewind tooths to grip into the film magazine is missing.

What to do now?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... :o .... LAB... a spare probably easy to find, and not a difficult job... this looks to be a fine but USED camera, so maybe is the occasion to have a complete CLA... which is anyway a cost worth to afford if one wants to USE its new toy.. :) : the additional cost for fixing the rewind pinion will be not so significant, I think.

This began about the M4-2, then the M4-P was added in the discussion. I like them both a lot and use them quite often. I find them robust and reliable and when I like the 35mm frame and perhaps need the use of flash I take the M4-2 in other cases I often grab the M4-P. I have a relatively early M4-2, with the bigger transportation lever of the M4. The serial numbers can sometimes be confusing. My MD-2 for instance has a number allocated for the M4-2.

One f you said he doesn't use the MR-4 meter, do many still use them? I try to, because it functions quite easily.

Best, Lex