Where would be a great place to travel to to shoot only B&W

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Remember, to shoot well in B&W, you need to see in luminance, great light is essential. The location is pretty low on the list.

KL is a great location, especially during Thaipusam as long as the air is clear. But this is in the OP's backyard. There is so much to shoot in Malaysia, the cultural diversity, the jungle, beaches...

A few weeks ago I spent some time in Manila photographing the North Manila Cemetery. Don't quote me on the numbers, but tens of thousands of very poor, starving families live in, on and above crypts and graves. It's beyond sad, but a very grim and real reality for them. More photojournalistic than touristy, but they are very powerful, gritty BW's. The people are extremely friendly and don't mind being photographed at all, polite conversation, permission and a few bank-notes go a long way. Pretty close to home to. Then over and above that, the poorer areas around Manila Outskirts also provide for some powerful BW images of people/poverty yet still in some way happy to be alive. e.g. little boys flying a kite on trash-heap.

Hope that helps

A bit out of bounds for most, - I recently went on the yearly project shoot in rural South Africa - mostly townships in far off regents.

The shoot of still photos are B & W.

Wow!;)

The project and the reasons and B&W to see from here;

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/337707-just-pure-enjoyment.html

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
A few weeks ago I spent some time in Manila photographing the North Manila Cemetery. Don't quote me on the numbers, but tens of thousands of very poor, starving families live in, on and above crypts and graves. It's beyond sad, but a very grim and real reality for them. More photojournalistic than touristy, but they are very powerful, gritty BW's. The people are extremely friendly and don't mind being photographed at all, polite conversation, permission and a few bank-notes go a long way. Pretty close to home to. Then over and above that, the poorer areas around Manila Outskirts also provide for some powerful BW images of people/poverty yet still in some way happy to be alive. e.g. little boys flying a kite on trash-heap.

Hope that helps

I have never been to Manila but it is now on my bucket list and relitivly close by