Where's the best place to send a film M for service?

Guest AgXlove

Guest AgXlove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to a thread in the M9 forum, Leica NJ is buried in repairs and is sending film M cameras to Solms for repair & service. I'd rather not send my camera to Solms and have to wait months for its return, even though I would expect the work done there to be high quality.

Since that is the situation at present, I'm left wondering where to send my MP for a clean/lube/adjust service (it's 5 years old, and it's time for a CLA, as I understand it).

Sherry Krauter www.sherrykrauter.com is said to be a reputable, Leica trained M camera repair person so I'm checking on her prices & wait time (I am waiting for a return call from her).

If anyone can recommend a good place in the USA to send a film M camera based on personal experience, I would appreciate it greatly. Also, are there any repair places to avoid (based on a bad experience)?

Thanks to all for your input. ;)

Guest AgXlove

Update: Leica NJ says they had a technician from Solms come over and train some of their repair people on servicing film M bodies. They have stopped sending bodies to Solms and now have a turn time of 3-4 weeks.

Service on a film M at Leica NJ runs $400 US; Kindermann quoted $175-260 US. Why such a big difference, I wonder? :confused:

I have yet to hear back from Sherry Krauter...

Leica has a big overhead and so the indies are always less expensive. I'm not so sure that I'd even do that now if there are a bunch of newly trained techs there. I'd send straight to Solms.

I've only sent warranty work to Leica and if I'm paying send to Don or Steve. Can't comment on Sherry as I've never sent anything to her.

From experience, as long as you speak to Solms direct and let them know in advance to expect the camera, turnaround tends to be within a week. The only wildcards are shipping and customs...

I've used them four times in the past year and cannot recommend them highly enough...

+49 (0)6442-208/189

• 4 months later...

You have a 5yo camera and want get it serviced? Unless there's a problem of some sort I really wouldn't bother. The best thing is to just use it.

As for Leica prices I found the same here in the UK. Leica wanted £400 min for an M2, and it was about £150 from an independent repairer.

• Like 1

Also, are there any repair places to avoid (based on a bad experience)?

Solms. They couldnt put my MP together right in the first place. They then got paid handsomely for a repair that they thoroughly botched, and I dont mean little things. Bits also fell off it on return. They re repaired and thoughly eff u cee kayed it. Bits didnt fall off it because I was smarter and tightened stuff at the first sign of it coming loose. The record for returns in this neck of the woods is apparently six times on an M6 without addressing the problems.

Unless you have personal contacts in the place, dont expect them to be diligent, competent or to check their work. They give you a nice peice of paper for framing. Its like a rubber check.

Your profile says Midwest USA. Stick with someone local competent reliable and honest. DAG, Krauter et al.

Edited by rob_x2004

+2 with James & Andy.

I totally concur with photography legend Roger Hicks on this matter and also reiterate "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Steam comes out of Roger's ears when the letters C, L, A are mentioned and as he rightly say's it's a recent invention that many Americans love. (No offence to any nation here, Roger's words - not mine! :) )

• Like 1

Sherry (Golden Touch) has CLA'd three lenses and rebuilt a Nikon FM2 for me in the last several months. Everything has been completed between one and two weeks and for between $78 and $172 dollars. And I have been impressed by her work.

For the most part she has been very responsive, but due to the situation at Leica NJ, she may be very busy.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...