SL2-S / Q2 Kit for Travel Shooting (Ireland)

stephenmick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay, so I’m putting together a go-to kit for travel/general purpose photography. I tend to shoot a little bit of everything…street, landscapes, architecture, people. If I had to settle on one thing, I’d say probably street would be the majority of what I shoot. 

But I’ve been doing a bit more traveling with the wife lately, and wanted to build a small, easily portable camera/lens kit for an upcoming anniversary trip to Ireland. Here’s what I’ve got in mind…

- Leica Q2

- Leica SL2-S

- 21mm Super Elmar-M

- 40mm Summicron-C

- 75mm APO Summicron-M 

My thinking is to have the Q2 for all-around shooting, and for bad (Irish) weather. That gives me a good amount of resolution at 28 and 35mm. The SL2-S would be for when I want to do a bit more with landscapes (21 SEM), or feel like I need a bit tighter coverage (75 APO). The 40mm lens would be for street shooting, and usually for black-and-white conversions. 

I’m not really interested in the absolute “best” image quality, per se. But since I’m getting older, the idea of carrying a bunch of SL lenses around doesn’t really appeal, hence the choice of M glass. And both cameras use the same batteries and chargers, so that saves on having multiple power setups. 

I feel like I’ve thought this out pretty well, but would love to see what brighter minds have to say. Cheers!

• Like 1

I’d agree with your comment - you did indeed think it out well.  

A few thoughts - the new SL/Q battery is higher capacity and costs less than the current version battery.  If your batteries are a bit weak it may be worth adding a new one as a backup.  If you do that be sure your firmware is upgraded to accept the new battery.

You may find that the Q2 when cropped a bit makes your 40mm lens redundant.  The SL2-S is 24MP; the Q2 cropped can easily match that resolution.

You haven’t mentioned how you plan to backup your files, but this may be worth considering.  There are several ways to do it, but regardless of which you select protecting these memories before you leave may save some aggravation down the road.

Finally, it may sound like heresy, but I always take my iPhone 14Pro with me.  It’s easy to carry and has a 48MP sensor.  Clearly I’m not suggesting it as a replacement for your gear, but the longest focal length you have is 75mm.  Often I want more reach when traveling.  The iPhone Pro has three dedicated lenses for optical use, and very clever digital zoom capability.  It also allows storage in the cloud automatically, if you choose, and can be handy for a selfie or quick social media post without having to access a computer or tablet.  Adding the Halide app will also give you full access to all of the cameras controls, and allow for more creativity.  It’s a very useful upgrade for a very small investment.

Enjoy the travel!

Edited by lencap
  • Like 1

I would go for Q3 and a VLUX-5. Q3 most of the time and VLUX, when tele more than 90mm is wanted. Nice simple setup and not heavy.

Of course Q2 instead of Q3 and one can share batteries between the Q and V.

In the end though this is all a very individual choice. I have carried bags with lenses for several years and now as I am older I don't want that anymore. So that is why my choice may seem strange to some people.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’d also suggest a small tabletop sized tripod which would allow the SL2-S to be setup to take a 96MP multishot image.  Should be great for landscapes, and possibly Astro-photography.  Might even be useful to shots of you and your wife at longer exposures without a flash.  You can also use the Leica app to remotely trigger some shots, avoiding camera shake and providing some unique perspectives.  The app opens up some very creative images and costs nothing.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Q2 and iPhone Pro Max (14 or soon to be 15) plus Halide app per @lencap. Between the two, I am covered for all of the street, landscapes, architecture, people photography I do.

Whatever works for you, is whatever is best. I really don't like phones for images and especially putting all my trips etc in the 'cloud'. It is convenient of course, but that is not for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, gents! 

I already have the Q2, and if getting a Q3 didn’t involve live animal sacrifice or bribing the Leica Store with a spare kidney, I might do that. ;)

I do have four batteries in total, because I also have the Q2M, which came with a couple of extras. So I should be covered in the power area. I also carry a small power bank, so I can charge the SL2-S via USB in a pinch. (I think.) 

And sadly, I have a lowly Google Pixel 6. It’s not worthy of taking pictures of anything important. 

As far as data management goes, I travel with an iPad Pro 11”, along with a card reader, and tend to backup and upload to the cloud every day or so. 

Cheers!

vor 14 Stunden schrieb stephenmick:

[…] I’d say probably street would be the majority of what I shoot. […]

Then I would only take the Q2 with me and leave the rest at home. Less worrying about the expensive gear, less carrying and fumbling around while changing lenses and a happy wife who can enjoy a nice trip with her husband😉.

As someone who loves streetphotograpy and traveling, I always try to limit my gear so that it doesn’t feel like a burden while walking around in cities or hiking in nature.

And if you feel uncomfortable with „just“ the Q2, I would recommend the Panasonic LUMIX 20 - 60mm f3.5-5.6 lens for your SL2-S. Yes, that doesn’t sound very impressive, but it’s a very convenient, small and light lens that produces tack sharp images. And it’s pretty inexpensive. A perfect travel lens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Knipsknecht said:

Then I would only take the Q2 with me and leave the rest at home. Less worrying about the expensive gear, less carrying and fumbling around while changing lenses and a happy wife who can enjoy a nice trip with her husband😉.

As someone who loves streetphotograpy and traveling, I always try to limit my gear so that it doesn’t feel like a burden while walking around in cities or hiking in nature.

And if you feel uncomfortable with „just“ the Q2, I would recommend the Panasonic LUMIX 20 - 60mm f3.5-5.6 lens for your SL2-S. Yes, that doesn’t sound very impressive, but it’s a very convenient, small and light lens that produces tack sharp images. And it’s pretty inexpensive. A perfect travel lens.

Yes the 20-60 is a great little lens and 20 is very useful but I just like having a bit more reach, the 24-105 is a fair bit bigger though

My 3 lens do it all is the Lumix 'set' of 14-28, 20-60 and 70-300 but if just taking one then I default to 24-105 or take a prime, (35 if no Q2, 50 or 85 if Q2)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf_ZG said:

The vlux5 has same batteries as the Q?

Indeed it does, but my VLUX-5 came with battery 'BP-DC12E' the batteries with the Q  (Type 116) I have on loan are 'BP-DC12' - I make the assumption that the VLUX-5 being a new camera has the latest battery and the Q  (Type 116) which is secondhand has older batteries. A fair assumption. However they are the same batteries for these two cameras.

Edited by idusidusi
Forgot for clarity type detail
  • Thanks 1