Apple: Aperture is dead

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another option in LR to virtual copies is snapshots. A saved instance of the image at that point that you can always go back to.. You can name it whatever you want, and have as many snapshots as you like.

You can even set a snapshot as the "before" and you can compare with what you are currently doing.

Edited by Chito

One can also name and caption virtual copies as shown here.

Julieanne Kost discusses use of virtual copies versus snapshots here. (She doesn't mention, though, that one can easily delete virtual copies to 'unclutter' one's screen.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I know aperture so well that quite often I already know what the photo will look like if I move a slider few more millimeters and I'm really good with shortcuts too. It's hard to start from scratch.

Again: I really miss the possibility to disable what I've done with (for example) nik software as I do with curves and highlights and shadow.

Beside above, few bugs and a raw conversion not optimal, I'm actually really happy with it. LR (it's the only I know) doesn't give me any "plus" to my workflow. That's the reason why I'm still there and as long as my raw will get converted I have I feeling that I'll be stuck there.

It is Apple in the evolution of its own ecosystem. With the profusion of iPhone and iPad "photographers"—it's sometimes hilariously funny to see tourists framing and taking snapshots with the larger retina iPad, then doodling with their fingers—I'm not surprised that we more serious and enthusiast photographers will be somewhat marginalized yet again.

LR is a reasonable island to swim to after jumping the good ship Aperture. This moderately loud touting of the new Photos for OSX is designed first and foremost for compatibility between iOS and OSX devices. Does that mean we are to sell our Leicas for a couple of dozen iPads? Not on my rinny-tin-tin lens cap!

Perhaps the open-source community might come to our aid. Not bloody likely. Enough ranting. I'm going out to take pictures of iPad toting tourists . . . and perhaps a couple of selfies for good measure. . . .

Aperture is dead! Long live Aperture!:)

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to spending time learning how to use a new computer program then migrating my 13,000+ photographs from Aperture/iPhoto to Lightroom instead of going out and using my lovely Leicas. It's going to be great.:mad:

Edited by Berth
  • Like 1

I think Apple forgot that the artists of graphics and sound kept the company alive before Jobs came back.

They haven't done much in terms of software to support the artists. Let's hope they continue to make good hardware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many of us have repeatedly discussed Adobe's consistent and frequent upgrades and improvements to LR, while Apple failed to similarly keep up with Aperture. While I sympathize with those who embraced Aperture and now need to switch, this comes as no surprise. I use Mac desktop, so I know what it's like to be treated by Apple as second class (mobile is king).

Jeff

• Like 2

I'm a committed LR user. I've bought and tried Aperture twice, but really really could not get on with it. So I sympathise with Aperture users and hope that Photos will at least provide effective asset management, even if an alternative DNG developer has to be used.

But I have a feeling that Photos will not be an adequate substitute being more aimed at the iPad generation.

I am not at all surprised. Despite all the griping, Adobe has once fantastic suite of image editing programs. While there may be differences between those products and similar ones made by other companies, I think anyone who decides to rely heavily on image editing products from much smaller companies (or where image editing is not a large company's primary product) should have pretty good reasons for doing so. You are taking a big risk.

Apple have announced that all future development of Aperture is to cease and they will concentrate instead on improving iPhoto. Sounds a bit like when they decided to abandon Final Cut to concentrate on iMovie. That decision got reversed quite quickly, so I hope for Aperture users (thinking of Jono) that minds will alter on this as well. I never felt its RAW engine was quite as good as either Adobe’s or Phase One’s, although the user interface seemed more user friendly than either LR or C1. I still find the library system on LR wholly impenetrable. In a way it is an admission of defeat on the part of Apple, that they just have not been able to keep up with the two major RAW players and are abandoning the professional and keen amateur market. I know there are other players out there like DxO, Silverfast and others but I think they are only used by a minority.

Wilson

On one hand, can I say is really anyone in the room surprised? Aperture has looked and mostly functioned the same for years. Apple seems to be busy trying to create the next "best thing ever."

I am a final cut x user and it is great for me now. I wanted aperture to develop into what final cut x is but it doesn't seem like that will come to fruition. I own CS6 and I don't plan in going to the cloud because I like to own my tools I use.

Because of the mentioned above, I have tried lightroom and casually dismissed it. It's good but it simply isn't my cup of tea. Instead, I've been using Capture One since the M8 days. As soon as I tried that, saw the colors and finally wrapped my mind around the file structure...I was hooked. Lightroom is no comparison to me.

Yes, I would like the beauty and simplicity of aperture running on my macs but it doesn't appear that will happen. Instead, my best choice is Capture One 7. It really is nice. So many controls and tools. It gives you room to grow as well. Amazing tethering abilities, if and when the time comes.

Yes, I have both LR and Aperture. LR has more options (as Aperture did not get updated) and better printing. But I much more liked the file management and nondestructive adjustment of Aperture. It is very easy to revert one action in Aperture at any time but not in LR.

Now you are going to need a 50mm f2 also.

I still find the library system on LR wholly impenetrable.

Wilson

Not on Aperture topic, but Wilson, I thought I was the only one who finds the LR system unintuitive. Every time I try LR I go back to Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. I cannot figure out how to manage LR on two computers in two locations. Bridge is just a matter of synching my files via Chronosync.

• Like 1

Not on Aperture topic, but Wilson, I thought I was the only one who finds the LR system unintuitive. Every time I try LR I go back to Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. I cannot figure out how to manage LR on two computers in two locations. Bridge is just a matter of synching my files via Chronosync.

I too use Chronosync and iPhoto library manager. I have read books on LR and I still don’t “get” it.

Wilson

Apple have announced that all future development of Aperture is to cease and they will concentrate instead on improving iPhoto.

As I read it, iPhoto and Aperture will be rolled into one app, 'Photo'. Strange that Apple is dropping an 'i'. Trivial, I know.