28mm or 35mm as every day lens

miatadan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Think it’s a combination of how you “see” but also what/where you’re shooting. If I’m in a place when the spaces are tight (I.e., old town with tight alleys), I’d rather a 28 or 21. Was wandering about Santa Fe, NM yesterday and the 28 was on my MMI for 80% of the time.

Have a larger crowd to cover at a venue, it’s 28 again. Smaller groups as subject, less cramped locale, 35 is what I go for.

But aga8n, my taste changes from time to time, so I own 21-28-35-50-100.

• Like 1

I am a 50mm person. 

My secondary lens is 28mm Elmarit.

Never got on with 35 much, it always seemed neither here nor there. Too near my indispensable 50 yet lacking the intimacy, not wide enough for drama.

Over the years one tends to go through phases  - I had and loved the 21mm elmarit for several years then got rid. I always gravitate to the 50mm length, that never loses favour.

Edited by Adrian Lord

• 3 weeks later...

Im a big 50 fan, but having said that; when shooting interiors for movie locations i love the 28 for its ability to describe a room without too much "wow" distortion. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I am very ambigous: I have 50mm lux and 28mm cron (besides the 75mm). Often at a venue the 50 is too long and 28 is too short. Most time I use the 50mm in such situations and if that is not the right lens then I switch to 28mm but in post I very often crop. This said and as a consequence I believe that the 35 could be the golden average. Therefore I consider adding a 35mm lux in the months to come.

Unfortunately I am unsure about this as the cropping often is a valuable solution. Further when owning 28 and 35 and 50mm then the choice of the right lens gets even more difficult than with 2 lenses :-)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what do you then use the 35mm for? When I analize my pictures then I think that 28, 50 and 75 are perfect. And up to now it is true that for venues I very often have the 5D MkIV with me. There I have all the focal lengths needed, either as prime f/1.4 or as 24-70 f.2.8 zoom.

All in all I am very unsure if I should buy the 35 lux as it has really to make sense.

Have had many M lenses over the years and all focal lengths. Finally came to the conclusion I only needed 35mm and 50mm for my comfort level. So, if had to choose between 28 and 35, would be 35. But I am most comfortable with my 50mm Summicron v4. Now down to three lenses, 35mm and 50mm Sumicrons, and Noctilux 1.0. Need nothing else for my M.....I endeavor. Lens fever gone.

• Like 2

35mm Summicron is my most used lens. Street, cityscape, and landscape, far less the 28mm and 50mm equally, and seldom the 21mm and 75mm. DOF and field of view just click for me. I pull out the 50 when I want a light duty telephoto... it always feels like a telephoto to me. Just like the 28mm seems like a light duty wide angle. My behavior has taught me this. JD

And what do you then use the 35mm for?

With my Leica M rangefinders and my Nikon F SLRs, I use the 35mm as my "normal" lens or general purpose lens. With the Leicas, I use the 35 with a 21mm and a 90mm. With the Nikons, I have a much wider choice of prime lenses. 14, 18, 24, 28, 35, 50, 55, 85, 105, 135, 180, 400, 500, and 1000. However, my personal preference is to use the 35mm with an 85 and a 24. However, if I am shooting a venue where I am unsure which primes I will need, I take 14-24, 28-70, and 80-200 f/2.8 zooms instead of the primes.

• Like 2

28mm cron is almost permanently fixed on my M240. There are times I crop (to 35) which is ok but you can never un-crop a 35 to 28mm. 

As JohnnySeven said above, it is wide enough without wow distortion.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 1/18/2018 at 12:47 AM, jmahto said:

28mm cron is almost permanently fixed on my M240. There are times I crop (to 35) which is ok but you can never un-crop a 35 to 28mm. 

As JohnnySeven said above, it is wide enough without wow distortion.

Fast forward five years into the future, you can now uncrop a 35! Welcome to 2023. 

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

He was referring to starting with a 35mm prime lens, and increasing the FOV (of a single pic) in PP to equate to 28mm, not literally cropping and un-cropping from 28mm.

Jeff

Not just that. AI can fake what you permanently cropped out, and there are tools specifically for this.

22 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Not just that. AI can fake what you permanently cropped out, and there are tools specifically for this.

It does not fake what you cropped out, it invents its version of the surroundings in the new Midjourney v5.2 as a brand new feature available for all.
https://petapixel.com/2023/06/23/midjourney-v5-2-update-features-impressive-zoom-out-tool/

Edited by Al Brown